Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Elevation gain

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-21, 10:32 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4257 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 940 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Pilots of aircraft also depend on getting the altimeter setting, which is a correction factor to allow their barometric instruments to show them an accurate altitude or clearance to tercrain. Each air traffic controller will routinely give the altimeter setting for that area so the pilots know what to set on their altimeters.

There are various methods for GPS devices with a barometric sensor use to calibrate their reading to the actual elevation, but that initially takes effort from the user and only works for predetermined locations. And the GPS device AFAIK only calibrates itself at the beginning of a ride. So normal changes in barometric pressure will produce errors in what is actually done.

Almost any ride I do, the elevation I left my house at is not the shown elevation when I return.
The calibration is necessary for determining altitude. But cyclists don't care too often about that.

How different is the elevation at the start and the end?

Drift in the reading (if it's slow) probably won't change the gain by much.

Small gains over large distances likely have a higher percentage of noise.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-25-21 at 10:47 PM.
Old 07-25-21, 10:36 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3428 Post(s)
Liked 3,565 Times in 1,791 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker

The manual calibration is useful for determining altitude (which few cyclists care about).
Having an accurate elevation is useful in one situation: when you know the elevation of the summit of your climb, and you want to know how much more climbing you have remaining.

Old 07-25-21, 10:42 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Having an accurate elevation is useful in one situation: when you know the elevation of the summit of your climb, and you want to know how much more climbing you have remaining.
​​​​​​Sure. But that's not a common interest. (I didn't say it wasn't ever useful.) It also wouldn't let you know how much more if there were inflection points.

You can also get that information from the relative elevation in the track file (if you are using one), which is how Garmin's "climbpro" works.

Accurate gain doesn't require accurate altitude. If the altitude is off by a constant amount over the course of a ride, the gain will still be the same.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-25-21 at 11:18 PM.
Old 07-25-21, 11:04 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by cyccommute
From Sunnto

A Google search of accuracy of the two measurements give a raw error of 10m to 20 m for GPS (35 to 70 feet) while barometers are accurate to ±15 meters. The error is almost the same per measurement. GPS may suffer more from a refresh rate that a barometer doesn’t experience. GPS is averaged over several seconds while barometric pressure may be closer to instantaneous as it is an on-board instrument. If you are stationary, this may no make much difference but when mobile, that averaging can lead to larger errors. Most phones have both GPS and a barometer to increase accuracy.
GPS makes geometric assumptions (geodetic model) that contribute additional errors to altitude measurements. GPS wasn't really designed for elevation measurements.

Altitude Accuracy
Old 07-25-21, 11:08 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by tenrec
If that's the case, I wonder if the accuracy would vary on different days as the barometric pressure varies. I also wonder if any apps or devices use topographical maps along with GPS data -- I expect that would be significantly more accurate.
If you are interested in gain, the measurements "on different days" won't really matter.
Old 07-25-21, 11:55 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Strava and some other activity apps reference existing databases for elevation, based on map data and data submitted by users who post data based on their computers and phones. Presumably these are reasonably accurate. At least it offers a fairly consistent baseline.

My XOSS G+ bike computer has a barometric pressure sensor and the elevation estimates vary wildly depending on the weather. I never even look at it during rides.

And because my computer elevation data is unreliable, after syncing my ride to Strava, I then use Strava's options to correct elevation and distance. This at least makes the other data relevant in comparisons with rides on the same routes.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 07-26-21, 12:39 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Liked 1,152 Times in 491 Posts
Unless it's hella windy, an accurate power meter, an accurate speedometer, and a pretty good bathroom scale work very well for calculating altitude gained.
Old 07-26-21, 03:58 AM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix, 2014 Salsa Fargo, 2013 Trek Remedy, 2014 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
^^^This. I and many of my riding friends use Wahoo to record and our elevations can vary by hundreds of feet on a ride. The Strava elevation correction reduces the variance substantially. It doesn't matter to me which is correct as long as I have consistency. To further muddy the water, we use RWGPS to plan routes. We rarely end up with the predicted elevation. Sometimes more, sometimes less. I can't see how a few hundred feet would matter either way.
My 1700m ride on Saturday turned into a 2400m ride in real life 😂

Those extra 700m are way harder when you don't know they're coming
Likes For SapInMyBlood:
Old 07-26-21, 04:54 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4403 Post(s)
Liked 4,856 Times in 3,004 Posts
The correction feature is disabled by default for devices that use a barometer. It's enabled for devices that only use GPS.

Garmin rates barometric data as better than GPS for elevation.

The manual calibration is useful for determining altitude (which few cyclists care about). It should not matter for elevation gain.
Thanks, that explains why the correction is disabled. The barometric data seems very good on my Edge 530 and certainly not seeing the issue the OP is with his phone.
Old 07-26-21, 05:04 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4403 Post(s)
Liked 4,856 Times in 3,004 Posts
​​​​​​Sure. But that's not a common interest. (I didn't say it wasn't ever useful.) It also wouldn't let you know how much more if there were inflection points.

You can also get that information from the relative elevation in the track file (if you are using one), which is how Garmin's "climbpro" works.

Accurate gain doesn't require accurate altitude. If the altitude is off by a constant amount over the course of a ride, the gain will still be the same.
Yeah I like ClimbPro and as you say it doesn't need an altitude calibration to track your progress up a climb.
Old 07-26-21, 08:29 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
The calibration is necessary for determining altitude. But cyclists don't care too often about that.

How different is the elevation at the start and the end?

Drift in the reading (if it's slow) probably won't change the gain by much.

Small gains over large distances likely have a higher percentage of noise.
The weather here has been pretty stable. No fronts of areas of high and low pressure moving through. Just sometimes rain and a thunderstorm that develop and dissipate in pretty much the same general area. So my last 5 rides over 2 hours had a start finish difference averaging 48 feet. The biggest 62 feet and the smallest 38 feet. Not a lot. However some where back in my history I've seen on the order of 100 feet of change or more during a ride.

I agree the calibration is only needed for those that want to know their elevation. I've never understood the need to know actual elevation for cycling. My house is the normal start point for my rides so I have the driveway as a calibration waypoint. On the topo maps of my area a contour line goes right through it. But even that might be incorrect as the topo maps data set includes data from times before this house or even the subdivision was built. So who knows and why should I really care? I don't!

I'm not suggesting this is the reason for the OP. But this and other things can add up to always make the relative or actual elevation numbers be different from one ride to the next.

There is even an overpass I travel routinely and on days with the wind blowing steady from the soutwest, I'll show a higher elevation going over it than days with no wind. I wonder if that is a localized reduction in air pressure because the wind is being funneled along that area at a higher velocity than air elsewhere. So Bernoulli's Principle might be another reason for errors in elevation or gain/loss calcs. And it can occur in many places.

For me, elevation gain/loss is a lot like Calories. The actual exact number is not important. If someone wants to ride hilly terrain, then ride the routes that show the most gain loss per distance. Doesn't matter if they don't match up from day to day.

Map data isn't correct for total elevation gain, nor are our barometric sensors in our devices and certainly GPS calculate altitude is less trustworthy. So people need to learn to judge by the trends and not the actual exact number they will never have.
Old 07-26-21, 08:31 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by canklecat
Strava and some other activity apps reference existing databases for elevation, based on map data and data submitted by users who post data based on their computers and phones. Presumably these are reasonably accurate.
They are not. Strava still suffers from the inaccuracy of data that users upload.

Like this Strava segment, based on some very noisy user-uploaded data.

The actual grade is about 7%, but Strava says it's 12.3%. Strava says the KOM rider climbed it with a VAM of 2703 meters per hour, which is ridiculous.

Bad Strava segment

Here's what that segment would look like with "good" GPS data:

"good" Strava segment

Old 07-26-21, 08:40 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

There is even an overpass I travel routinely and on days with the wind blowing steady from the soutwest, I'll show a higher elevation going over it than days with no wind. I wonder if that is a localized reduction in air pressure because the wind is being funneled along that area at a higher velocity than air elsewhere. So Bernoulli's Principle might be another reason for errors in elevation or gain/loss calcs.
Yes, any wind blowing past the sensor reduces the static pressure, and the elevation shown will be high.

I've noticed this on climbs with lots of switchbacks. When I'm climbing a portion with a tailwind, the climbing rate number is steady. But when I round a hairpin and turn into the wind, I'll briefly see a burst of increased climbing rate.

Alas, it's only a brief and false moment of glory.

Old 07-26-21, 09:04 AM
njkayaker

The weather here has been pretty stable. No fronts of areas of high and low pressure moving through. Just sometimes rain and a thunderstorm that develop and dissipate in pretty much the same general area. So my last 5 rides over 2 hours had a start finish difference averaging 48 feet. The biggest 62 feet and the smallest 38 feet. Not a lot. However some where back in my history I've seen on the order of 100 feet of change or more during a ride.
2 hours is about 30 miles. I suspect the percent of error is larger for for smaller elevation gains (let's say < 1000 feet) than it is for larger numbers. a 100 foot difference is only 10% of 1000 feet. I wonder what you get for gain and loss.

There also isn't a "right" elevation gain number. It has to smooth the data (otherwise, it would count every little jiggle).

I'm not suggesting this is the reason for the OP. But this and other things can add up to always make the relative or actual elevation numbers be different from one ride to the next.
The OP's numbers are on the low side. And, except for two outliers, the numbers are pretty close. Is a 50 foot difference even meaningful?

Since elevation gain is not considering grade at all, it's a weak indicator of effort anyway.
For me, elevation gain/loss is a lot like Calories. The actual exact number is not important. If someone wants to ride hilly terrain, then ride the routes that show the most gain loss per distance. Doesn't matter if they don't match up from day to day.

Map data isn't correct for total elevation gain, nor are our barometric sensors in our devices and certainly GPS calculate altitude is less trustworthy. So people need to learn to judge by the trends and not the actual exact number they will never have.
Yes. Some people appear to expect the same level of accuracy for elevation gain as for horizontal distance. That doesn't seem realistic.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-26-21 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-26-21, 10:43 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

There also isn't a "right" elevation gain number.
Hmmm. I think there's a "right" elevation gain number.
Since elevation gain is not considering grade at all, it's a weak indicator of effort anyway.
Some estimates of elevation gain take grade into account.
Old 07-26-21, 10:52 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by RChung
Hmmm. I think there's a "right" elevation gain number.
How long is a coastline?

There isn't one standard for smoothing the data and what changes to include or drop.

I had a Bontrager computer that was kinda close to my Edge 800.

Which ones and how? Is it any of the common ones?

One might be able to take the gain and divide it by distance. But that wouldn't be gain (it would be a gain rate or ratio). Or, I suppose, one could ignore gain below some sort of grade threshold.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-26-21 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07-26-21, 11:10 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,898 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by Bingod
This is my observation when using Garmin's elevation correction for mountainous switchback rides. On each turn the GPS drops me off the cliff and then climbs me back up adding 1000s of feet to the ride. It makes me look good but i switch this feature off. Regrettably it seems permanently activated when using the Connect route planning function, so I defer to RWGPS when planning a ride.
Yes, one time Garmin had me riding up a climb underneath a freeway bridge that 's WAY overhead, then magically CROSSING that bridge before falling back down onto the road beneath.

Luckily, the fall didn't kill me.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-26-21, 11:16 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,898 Times in 6,094 Posts
They are not. Strava still suffers from the inaccuracy of data that users upload.
I tried "starring" OLH so that I could track my progress relative to my previous best time. TWICE I started up the climb and less than half a mile into it my Garmin said I was "off segment" and stopped giving me those data. Similarly, one time when I rode up Kings Mountain,. between Garmin and Strava, I was off the road most of the time, so it didn't find segments for half the climb - so, also not for the whole climb.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-26-21, 11:18 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,296 Times in 2,946 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Yes, one time Garmin had me riding up a climb underneath a freeway bridge that 's WAY overhead, then magically CROSSING that bridge before falling back down onto the road beneath.

Luckily, the fall didn't kill me.
Sounds like a good place for an "Everesting" record attempt.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-26-21, 01:17 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
i'll bet the power pod could accurately measure elevation if it only knew what your elevation was when you started.

my understanding is that it uses both grade and speed to help compute power. speed and grade are all that are needed to calculate elevation gain.

https://velocomp.com/powerpod-lite/
Old 07-26-21, 01:32 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Unless it's hella windy, an accurate power meter, an accurate speedometer, and a pretty good bathroom scale work very well for calculating altitude gained.
I was told there would be no math problems.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 07-26-21, 01:56 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

How long is a coastline?
You're mixing up a distance with the measurement of that distance (or, in this case, a height with the measurement of that height). This isn't a fractal problem. Distances and heights are actual things, so there is a "right" height. The measurement of that height can and does have an error, but your claim was "There also isn't a 'right' elevation gain number." There is a right elevation gain number.

Which ones and how? Is it any of the common ones?
Not one of the common ones, but it's one that is built on the effort it takes to climb a hill. It uses power and speed data (among other things) to build up road gradient and then integrates gradient to get elevation gain. It can reliably and repeatably reproduce small changes in road grade. Better still, we can use the Central Limit Theorem to reduce error in the elevation gained when integrating the gradient.
Old 07-26-21, 01:58 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

I was told there would be no math problems.
My apologies. I once got a student course evaluation with: "You lied when you said we wouldn't need calculus for the class." So I didn't stop using calculus, but I did stop saying they didn't need it.
Likes For RChung:
Old 07-26-21, 03:57 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,931 Times in 1,212 Posts
My apologies. I once got a student course evaluation with: "You lied when you said we wouldn't need calculus for the class." So I didn't stop using calculus, but I did stop saying they didn't need it.
Will there be a refresher tutoring session for those of us who haven't used calculus in a few decades? Or do we need to process a withdrawal from BF?
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 07-26-21, 04:16 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

You're mixing up a distance with the measurement of that distance (or, in this case, a height with the measurement of that height). This isn't a fractal problem. Distances and heights are actual things, so there is a "right" height. The measurement of that height can and does have an error, but your claim was "There also isn't a 'right' elevation gain number." There is a right elevation gain number.
I disagree, total elevation gain depends on how much resolution you want.

How do you define the "right" length of a coastline?

Likes For terrymorse:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.