Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How long to get back in form after break

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-20, 04:23 PM
xrazer

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I have been off riding a bit over 3 years due to back surgery etc. I started ride again at the end of June slowly adding length to my rides. The legs and lungs sure have a long way to go before I will be even close to my previous shape and I have 15 to 20 pounds to loose now too. How has your experience being in a similar situation? How long to bounce back? I am in my early 60's.
Old 10-08-20, 04:50 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3887 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
You'll never get to be back like you were. Even if you hadn't taken a break, you'd be slower. So don't worry about it, just ride your bike. The more time you spend on the bike, the stronger you'll get - up to a point, which might be a little less than it used to be. I'd say give it a year or 2 to max out again if you ride 12 months/year, though that depends on how close to your limit you were before. I once took a winter off, so maybe 4 months, and I didn't get it back until the next fall. I never did that again.
Old 10-08-20, 05:12 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
I never took a break from riding in 30+ years but the last few years at work before I retired kept me from riding as much as I like. My fitness was lower than any time in years. I started riding more in an attempt to regain fitness and I was able to make gains but it took a long time. It's frustrating at times and I started thinking it might never happen but eventually I could feel those gains.
Be patient and don't overdo it.
Old 10-08-20, 06:31 PM
Cyclist0100
Banned.

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 72 Posts
It took two back surgeries and 15 years before I could ride seriously again. For 10 years I was off a bike entirely.
Old 10-08-20, 07:46 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
I broke my neck on a bike crash last October. No surgery needed, but three months in a hard collar and another month forbidden from riding. I'm 60. A month earlier I'd finished a 1000k brevet, and a 1200 before that.

First was just getting some miles on the bike. Then I started doing short intervals, mostly hill repeats, once a week with longer easier rides other days. My first hilly 30 mile ride was super tough. My intervals got longer, using a bigger hill. Long rides got longer, adding more hills. Rinse, repeat.

Next week is a year since the accident. I'm starting to set PRs. I rode a 200k last weekend, an hour and a half ahead of my pre accident time. The guy who said you'll never get back? Use him as your motivation on the intervals.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 10-09-20, 08:20 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
It's always one or two more rides more. You never get there, but if you don't ride you'll get further away.
Old 10-09-20, 08:28 AM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
When I was in my 30s, I could take an extended break and be able to train back up to my previous form. At some point (I think in my 50s) that stopped.
Now if I take a break for even a month, my fitness drops and no amount of training seems sufficient to get back to where I used to be.
I can still ride pretty far and fairly fast, but at 62 I've come to accept that I am never going to be as strong as I was, and also that I can't afford to take any more extended breaks.
Old 10-09-20, 09:56 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
what are you trying to get back to?

You could lose the weight fairly quickly by controlling your diet

Like everyone said. Slowly increase your mileage if you are able and want to do that. Make sure you are enjoying your time on the bike
Old 10-09-20, 11:12 AM
xrazer

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
what are you trying to get back to?

You could lose the weight fairly quickly by controlling your diet
I am trying to at least reach the point that I can ride up hills without too much struggle. Riding becomes more fun when you feel strong rather than huffing and puffing with weak feeling legs. We have lots of hills here and any longer ride takes me on several fairly steep inclines. I also ride because it helps with weight loss in addition to eating habits. Been there and succeeded in the past.
Old 10-09-20, 11:15 AM
xrazer

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
IThe guy who said you'll never get back? Use him as your motivation on the intervals.
Funny yes that occurred to me too.
Likes For xrazer:
Old 10-09-20, 12:16 PM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
I went from serious racer to couch potato when I relocated to the UK in 2000. Cycling dropped off and within 2 years I was riding maybe once a month. Then nothing...for 15 years. Bizarre for someone who was a competitive athlete before that. I blamed work, commuting, family commitments, the weather...all excuses that didn't stop me doing at least some training. Anyway, at 51 and after a year and a half of getting fit again I'm in very good shape. It can be done.

I had to lose 21kg - a quarter of my weight. I went from obese couch potato to a cyclist with nearly 120 Strava KOM's and two good regional race results in a relatively short time at over 50. Yep, lots of hard training and specific to someone who has ambitious racing goals but the point being it is possible to get to a pretty good level after lengthy time out even after 50 years of age.
Old 10-10-20, 09:03 AM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
The year I retired was taken up with a 1,200-mile move. Back and forth. Packing and unpacking. On and on. My mileage went to pretty much nothing after years of riding at least three or four times per week. The loss of physical conditioning was very obvious.

Three years later, all settled in, (sort of), I'm still not back to where I'd comfortably tackle an unsupported century. Metric centuries are fine. Much more than that is too difficult right now.

Getting two rescue dogs has really helped because they require a multi-mile walk every day. Not too concerned because my vitals are fine
Old 10-10-20, 05:48 PM
xrazer

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's awesome to read the various comeback stories here and thanks to all other comments. I will continue my journey to better fitness.
Old 10-10-20, 09:02 PM
Kanon25

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by xrazer
I have been off riding a bit over 3 years due to back surgery etc. I started ride again at the end of June slowly adding length to my rides. The legs and lungs sure have a long way to go before I will be even close to my previous shape and I have 15 to 20 pounds to loose now too. How has your experience being in a similar situation? How long to bounce back? I am in my early 60's.
For long term health of your body count on building back over at least 6 months, to get back muscles, joints stronger and your bones stronger to anchor all that.

Do it gradually. And cross train. Don稚 bike every day, prob max 3 times a week for first few months. Even just working on weight machines at the gym and building your way up from 15 mins of cardio/heart rate to 30-40-50 mins, will help you get up those hills faster and with less effort and you can re over faster. Also good for the body to have various methods of building the body back.
Old 10-10-20, 09:05 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by Kanon25
For long term health of your body count on building back over at least 6 months, to get back muscles, joints stronger and your bones stronger to anchor all that.

Do it gradually. And cross train. Don稚 bike every day, prob max 3 times a week for first few months. Even just working on weight machines at the gym and building your way up from 15 mins of cardio/heart rate to 30-40-50 mins, will help you get up those hills faster and with less effort and you can re over faster. Also good for the body to have various methods of building the body back.
I would go with that ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old 10-10-20, 10:33 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by AlgarveCycling
I went from serious racer to couch potato when I relocated to the UK in 2000. Cycling dropped off and within 2 years I was riding maybe once a month. Then nothing...for 15 years. Bizarre for someone who was a competitive athlete before that. I blamed work, commuting, family commitments, the weather...all excuses that didn't stop me doing at least some training. Anyway, at 51 and after a year and a half of getting fit again I'm in very good shape. It can be done.

I had to lose 21kg - a quarter of my weight. I went from obese couch potato to a cyclist with nearly 120 Strava KOM's and two good regional race results in a relatively short time at over 50. Yep, lots of hard training and specific to someone who has ambitious racing goals but the point being it is possible to get to a pretty good level after lengthy time out even after 50 years of age.
Good for you.

But for most people, early 50s and early 60s are not the same thing. It's good that you ddid what you did when you did. You can probably keep pretty good ability for quite some time now. But not indefinitely.
Old 10-10-20, 10:36 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

I've not been off for 3 years, but injuries have kept me off for 1-6 months at various times in my mid and late 50s. I can get it all back, but it takes months.

As previously said, if you really want to improve- intervals. They suck, but they work.

Personally, there aren't many good interval hills near me. Also, very few have ideal conditions of consistent pitch, no stop signs, etc.
I do my intervals on a trainer. Every one is exactly the same (except for my effort and limits).
Old 10-11-20, 12:01 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
All of the above. Been there a few times.
Old 10-11-20, 12:45 AM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Good for you.

But for most people, early 50s and early 60s are not the same thing. It's good that you ddid what you did when you did. You can probably keep pretty good ability for quite some time now. But not indefinitely.
Naturally not indefinitely, age catches up with us all eventually, however...a positive mindset and a willingness to put the effort in will yield good results relative to age. I train with cyclists of all age groups, some of our strongest are late 50's, 60's. A local 55 yr old ex-pro who was dominating local MTB XC racing for a decade in retirement got really fat last winter and during the covid lockdown period - around 12kg overweight! He's nearly race trim again now after a Summer of training.

Obviously, I'm comparing athletes who have a history of athleticism as this is my experience and so one might expect the gains to be greater but most people can improve immensely relative to a couch potato even post 60.
Old 10-11-20, 04:21 AM
LazyMike

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale Synapse, 2019 Specialized Sirrus Sport

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I have always been surprised by how easy I can snap back if I've been away from riding.
Old 10-11-20, 09:17 AM
DeceptivelySlow

Bikes: Two wheels; multiple gears

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
After declining for about 7 years due to health problems, I took early retirement and figured out how to manage some health issues related to neurological damage. Recently I completed a ride up a mountain I thought I would never do again. It took a little over two years to get where I am now but there was steady improvement throughout that time. Best of a luck!
Likes For DeceptivelySlow:
Old 10-11-20, 09:28 AM
CyclingBK

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Im interested in this topic since I知 52 and will be facing this challenge soon.

I had been riding every other day for 1.5 years, had got into intervals recently, and made some great progress.

However, due to family circumstances, I have been off the bike since late August.

In the meantime, I have been strength training every other day and doing a pretty intense 45-minute , HIIT kickboxing cardio workout every other day.

Im hoping to get back to riding regularly in the next month but then the NE winter will be upon us.

So, I知 anticipating a massive loss of bike strength gains, I hope not to lose all of them. But, my cardio should still be decent and along with my leg work in strength training, hoping to recover reasonably as best I can.
Old 10-11-20, 09:56 AM
MinnMan

Originally Posted by CyclingBK

I had been riding every other day for 1.5 years, had got into intervals recently, and made some great progress.

However, due to family circumstances, I have been off the bike since late August.

In the meantime, I have been strength training every other day and doing a pretty intense 45-minute , HIIT kickboxing cardio workout every other day.

Im hoping to get back to riding regularly in the next month but then the NE winter will be upon us.

So, I知 anticipating a massive loss of bike strength gains, I hope not to lose all of them. But, my cardio should still be decent and along with my leg work in strength training, hoping to recover reasonably as best I can.
Best of luck. Consider getting a trainer for indoor riding over the winter. And something like Zwift.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 10-11-20, 11:45 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3887 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by CyclingBK

I'm 75 and had to be off the bike from early June to September 12 due to a saddle sore and sciatica. I have a set of resistance rollers I bought in '97. I've been riding them almost every day since Sept. 12, starting at 15' and quickly moving up to an hour. I'm not doing any intervals, only steady state rides at no more than 75% of max HR or FTP. That's working like a charm. I've just added in 2 days of full-body dumbbell work and thus only riding 5 days/week now. I plan on not doing any interval work until January and am hoping to have increased ride lengths to 2 hours by then. Riding one's bike is the only thing that really works for getting good at bike riding. My dumbbell work is for general health and just feeling good.

A set of resistance rollers isn't cheap, but is less than many fancy trainers, and will last the rest of your life, so amortization looks quite good and no software or computer gear to get outdated or vanish. They're are lot less boring than trainers and improve your bike handling and pedaling skills.
Old 10-11-20, 12:08 PM
MinnMan

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I'm 75 and had to be off the bike from early June to September 12 due to a saddle sore and sciatica. I have a set of resistance rollers I bought in '97. I've been riding them almost every day since Sept. 12, starting at 15' and quickly moving up to an hour. I'm not doing any intervals, only steady state rides at no more than 75% of max HR or FTP. That's working like a charm. I've just added in 2 days of full-body dumbbell work and thus only riding 5 days/week now. I plan on not doing any interval work until January and am hoping to have increased ride lengths to 2 hours by then. Riding one's bike is the only thing that really works for getting good at bike riding. My dumbbell work is for general health and just feeling good.

A set of resistance rollers isn't cheap, but is less than many fancy trainers, and will last the rest of your life, so amortization looks quite good and no software or computer gear to get outdated or vanish. They're are lot less boring than trainers and improve your bike handling and pedaling skills.
I know that lots of serious cyclists use rollers and I understand the benefits. On the other hand, they scare the hell out of me. In particular, I use the trainer for intervals, and at the end of a hard set of intervals, I can be close to exhaustion. The last thing I want to have to do at that point is to pay attention to my balance. I put my head down on the bars and pedal in an easy gear.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.