Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

How to keep my ding dong/package all nice and warm

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-20, 12:06 AM
eaglesandcycling

Bikes: 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts

It's from the 40s to the 60s (F) right now where I am so just slightly cool for my rides. I have leggings and my warmer months bibs and mostly all good. Just need to warm my area there. Any advice? Maybe wear underwear under my bibs? I know this is a no no.
Old 10-22-20, 07:41 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
I was expecting to read - 20 F or something. Have you actually experienced this issue between 40 to 60? That seems kind of warm to me. Back in the day when I had to run outdoors in temps all the way down to - 30 we just put a sock on it.
Likes For jadocs:
Old 10-22-20, 07:51 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
I wear Champion synthetic briefs under padded bib shorts under unpadded thermal tights. Cozy. In milder weather, I sometimes wear an oxymoronic combination consisting of long shorts under loose tights.
Old 10-26-20, 08:10 PM
Pugs2xLove

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts
40-60 F would be "tropical" for me. Temps are in the 20-30's F for my area right now and we got little snow on the ground leftover from yesterday. It's going to be another 30 degree day tomorrow until things start warming up for the rest of this week. Would be happy to take that any day.
Old 10-27-20, 10:05 AM
Wilbur Bud

Bikes: Longbikes Slipstream

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 31 Posts
I do not wear bibs, but certainly at some point a second later / long underwear is necessary, for me, down to about 20-25F, below that I'm not really cold while riding, but I did eventually discover that stopping at a long red light at 5-10F saturates the groin are with perspiration to the extent it won't all evaporate, and then I have conductive cooling which is very painful. So, due to that, whenever the projected temp is about 20F or below I put on an over-bib where I've had the legs cutoff above the knee and the ankle elastic moved up (so the wind doesn't blow through, due to feet forward on the recumbent).

So, yes, maybe at 40F for me but not at 45F, I would start wearing long underwear as a base layer before the skintights. Adding an overbib at about 20F or below.
Old 10-27-20, 12:23 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I never have a problem down there. I'm barelegged down to 55 or a little below, then add leg warmers down to maybe 50. Below that, I use padded shorts and tights, varying the tights depending on temperature and rain. I've ridden all day in heavy rain and 36° using a heavy pair of tights.. Though I wouldn't choose to do that again, crotch was never an issue. Maybe you need shorts with a better pad. I can't see how wind could get through a pad.
Old 10-27-20, 12:35 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
When i dress for colder temps, i dont like to overdress, and the one area that will get frozen while everything is fine is the crotch. Cold wind just gets funneled into that area and i wear unpadded shorts. I solve this problem by simply shoving a beanie stocking cap down there in front between my riding shorts and tights - works great! I use this trick in sub-freezing temps
Old 11-03-20, 01:50 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
I've done a couple things:
  • Zoot tri shorts under bibs - they have no real pad, but have no seems in the saddle-zone.
  • Buff stuffed down the front of my bibs, low enough to protect the important bits, but not get between you and the saddle. I did this at the startline of a colder than forecast gravel century.

I run hotter than average, I use these options at temps between 30*F and 45*F. Colder than that, I'll get the Ibex knickers out.
Old 11-03-20, 02:15 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,923 Times in 2,552 Posts
I always find this concern amusing. I've always liked the fact that in cool weather, my things get small and pulled up close. The issues I have with most shorts that things do not stay put disappear.

Now, core temp is an issue for this skinny guy. I wear UnderArmour jockey/briefs with the 9" leggings under my shorts below about 60F and add thermal underwear as needed.
Old 11-03-20, 03:09 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
Invest in windstopper bibtights.
Old 11-05-20, 06:15 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,463 Times in 1,433 Posts
I wonder why I've never had this problem. My hands and feet are problems I have not fully solved, and I've been riding for many years. Maybe I should shop for boots and gloves in Minneapolis.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 11-06-20, 08:21 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,926 Times in 1,209 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I never have a problem down there. I'm barelegged down to 55 or a little below, then add leg warmers down to maybe 50. Below that, I use padded shorts and tights, varying the tights depending on temperature and rain. I've ridden all day in heavy rain and 36° using a heavy pair of tights.. Though I wouldn't choose to do that again, crotch was never an issue. Maybe you need shorts with a better pad. I can't see how wind could get through a pad.
I've never had a problem while wearing tights, either. Even while raining, my thighs and calves get cold first.
Old 11-06-20, 09:54 AM
chief9245

Bikes: 2017 Argon 18 Krypton Xroad, 2017 Bombtrack Arise 2, 2018 Bombtrack Hook EXT-C

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 37 Posts
40's to 60's? In the Northeast we're still in shorts. I had the same problem but when the temps were in the 20's and 30's. I used to wear Aerotech winter weight bibs and had one ride in the 20's and when I got home I really thought I did some real damage to the boys. I couldn't feel anything down there for hours. No kidding, got really scared. Went to the Castelli Polare's and never had the problem again. Castelli runs Gore-tex or some fabric like that on the front and no wind seeps through. Best winter garb I ever bought, sizing with them is a nightmare though.
Old 11-06-20, 02:51 PM
roadsnakes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by eaglesandcycling
It's from the 40s to the 60s (F) right now where I am so just slightly cool for my rides. I have leggings and my warmer months bibs and mostly all good. Just need to warm my area there. Any advice? Maybe wear underwear under my bibs? I know this is a no no.
'

Is it SHRINKAGE you`re worried about?

Old 11-09-20, 09:45 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
"like a frightened turtle"

Returning from a cold ride is always humbling.
Old 12-02-20, 12:07 AM
Cat Daddy

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
"It shrinks?"
Likes For Cat Daddy:
Old 12-02-20, 02:08 AM
Toespeas

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
bruh lolol maybe around 20 f if i dont layer and i ride for 4 hours i have felt the frozen dingaling pain , but not very often , id say a some sort of wool sock might help if you only wear bibs , but the way i layer when i do ride freezing temp , AND to be fair 40f walking ot standing still can be 25f in the wind chill so i get riding is colder than running or walking , to the parts of your body not moving , but how i layer is bibs or shorts then a thermal long john type layer , then tight tights to stay a bit aero if you dont care about aero just wear warm winter pants over your tights , its not like there is any racing or competitions going on , i doubt any next season , so have an elite aero gaining kit is kinda dumb right now , if you know how to solder you can make a heated warmer with a usb socket , switch , led light , resistor , and nichrome wire wrapped in kapton tape maybe stuffed in a wool sock and placed over your junk lol , might want to use about 4 feet of nichrome so it doesn't go above 60f
Old 12-02-20, 07:39 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
If it’s happening to you into 40-60F° there might be more going on than just the cold. I.e. you may have some circulatory issue that might need checked by a doc. But...I’ve read that part of this issue is when we’re exercising, the blood that would normally keep your ‘package’ warm is going to other organs that need it during exercise. So, I’ve found that keeping every other part of me warm...the ‘unit’ stays warmer. I really kind of noticed this when I started wearing a balaclava on winter rides. I didn’t “feel” like I needed a balaclava...my head wasn’t unbearably cold. But clearly I was loosing heat from my head, and exposed neck area. Once I started using the balaclava and wasn’t loosing all that heat...I guess the blood circulating in those areas didn’t get as cold, and my body was able to maintain a higher average temp throughout the ride.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 12-02-20, 09:05 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Large animals don't freeze, small ones on the other hand....

Must be a roadie. At 60°F we still wear shorts....if a specific body part is cold at 40°F, it must be exposed.

Riding in -20 and the core still can sweat. Fingers and toes are the problem.
Old 12-03-20, 12:09 AM
yamsyamsyams

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 20 Posts
Gore sells a wind proof bib tight that attempts to address this issue. I find that cold body parts are mostly due to cold wind flow and not necessarily the ambient temperature.
Likes For yamsyamsyams: