Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage Colnago Mexico ID

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-21, 09:40 PM
BigSky_Guy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello!

Can ya'll me ID this bike? I think it is a Colnago Mexico, but unsure of the year. I was planning on turning it into a commuter type bike, but after digging around a bit online it looks like these might be kind of rare or desirable? Any ideas on value? Not hard up for money but don't want to be commuting on something someone else might cherish or that will is worth more than my "nice bike" haha.

The seat stays are round, cable guides on top of the BB, chain stays are round, club on the bottom of the BB. Based on what I have read think this is a Colnago Mexico, maybe early 80’s

Parts:

Cinelli Stem
Cinelli Bars
Campy Front Brake
Mafac Rear Brake (with weird "gorilla" horse shoe thing?)
Campy Brake Levers
Campy Front Der.
Suntour Rear Der.
Simplex Shifters
Suntour Cranks
Campy Seatpost
Campy Headset
Weinmann 700c Rims

Add the ****** bits to the front of this to see some pics.
r/Vintage_bicycles/comments/m5bfwq/vintage_colnago_mexico_i_think_help_me_id_value/

Thanks!!
Old 03-15-21, 03:06 AM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 124 Posts
Hi, unfortunately I couldn't open-up your link so I wonder if 'COLNAGO' or the 'ace of clubs' logo is to be found anywhere else on the frame? How many cable guides does it have on the top bar? It would be nice if it is an early 80's frame and it could be a Mexico or Super model. There were also lesser models available too. It does have quite a mix of components which is not a problem but quite a few components are Campagnolo which could be original components. Perhaps the original owner(s) just replaced components when the original components wore out.

Another explanation is that it could be a fake Colnago? These are quite common from that era and it's not beyond possibility that an 'ace of clubs' was cut into the bottom bracket - relatively easy to do. I do think, however, that I would tend to believe that your frame is a real Colnago because of the bottom bracket cut-out.

Sorry your link wouldn't open for me as you can't beat a few close-up photos.

What's it worth? That's a question for another area of this forum. I've bought 2nd hand Colnago bikes for as little as $100 and up to $4000. If you like it and it fits you - just commute on it. Colnago's are great handling frames and you probably won't wear it out.
Old 03-15-21, 03:57 AM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 218 Posts
I'll post the pics for you

I'm confused by this. Are the rear cantis a later addition hack job? Is it a sport touring frame with a replacement fork? Others will know.
I think it would make a fantastic commuter if you fixed it up and modified a bit to fit purpose though.

Don't worry about riding something 'too nice'. Lifes too short. Bikes should be ridden. The only question is if you like it, and if you want to do the work to fix it up to good riding condition. As is, it's beat as hell, mismatched build. Not actually worth that much.
Old 03-15-21, 06:02 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
@BigSky_Guy - It is what you suspect, a desirable bike. The big issue is that modification to accommodate the rear brake. I have no earthly idea why someone would create such a monstrosity for a rear brake. Typically the rear brake does not do much, maybe 20% of the braking.

From what I know and can see it is pre 1983, which had flat stay caps and a change in the decals from what is on your bike.

I don't recall when the change from over BB RD cable to under BB cable routing occurred. It is another clue.

So is the fork crown. IIRC (not a good chance) the Mexico did not have a chain stay bridge.

Here is the source of I used. There may be more definitive ones. Velo-Retro: Colnago Super Timeline (velo-retro.com)

The fluted stay caps are from 1980, spooled chain stay is 1981
Old 03-15-21, 06:05 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Is this the original paint? It might be a cross Colnago paired with a Colnago replacement fork. The bike is fine for commuting on (assuming it is in safe riding condition) but perhaps a little too valuable as a lock up bike. Not my choice for a commuter though as I prefer a commuter with eyelets that can take a little larger volume tire. YMMV though.

It will be hard to sell though at a decent price given the wierd combination of cantilevers on the rear and calipers on the front.
Old 03-15-21, 06:07 AM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Originally Posted by SJX426
@BigSky_Guy - It is what you suspect, a desirable bike. The big issue is that modification to accommodate the rear brake. I have no earthly idea why someone would create such a monstrosity for a rear brake. Typically the rear brake does not do much, maybe 20% of the braking.
fun silly build for racing CX in beer leagues i suspect. Drift it about in mud and stuff. Bit more clearance there. Like yeah it's dumb and the front brake is the one but it's kinda cool too.
Old 03-15-21, 07:37 AM
satbuilder 

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 102 Posts
Round chain stays are usually a pretty good indicator of a Mexico.
Old 03-15-21, 10:56 PM
BigSky_Guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Soody! I appreciate you picking up on my not so subtle work around to post pics on my newb account.

Any ideas on what this might sell for in this condition?

I have a main commuter steed- this was going to be my incognito don't look at me bike for drinking wobbly pops at seedy dive bars! I don't think it fits that bill though after this learning. I might just sell it to someone who wants something neat or unique?
Old 03-15-21, 10:58 PM
BigSky_Guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@SJX426 Thanks for the input!! I'll dig around a bit more on that site. Would you have any ideas on what I should suit for to sell? The purpose was to have an incognito 2nd commuter (see above!), don't want to fix it up to get it ripped off from the bar bike rack.
Old 03-15-21, 11:10 PM
Soody

Well how much did you -pay- for it. Not much right?
Scrape off all the colnago labels, apply strategic duct tape and dirt veneer and do the bearings so it rides well
wa la, perfect drinking bike
Old 03-15-21, 11:53 PM
Mackers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 141 Posts
I see nothing that would make me think it's a Mexico.
Looks like a beat up Super to me.
Old 03-16-21, 04:33 AM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

From the photos it looks to be a 1980/81 model. There are variations to the estimated Velo-Retro Colnago Super / Mexico timeline such as the bottom bracket 'over the top' cable routing and the conical rear stay bridge. I would suggest that the best frame build guess would be 1980 to 1981. When did Colnago upgrade frame features such as the brazed on cable guides? It was probably a gradual change and probably not at the start of a particular year.

Features such as the dropping of the RH freewheel indent, the conical and cast stay caps, the introduction of straight seat stays, the crimped inner chain stays, whether the Mexico's had a rear stay bridge or not, when the cast front fork crown had the recessed brake nut hole introduced, the cast in 'Colnago' features of the front fork casting, etc, etc, probably occurred around the time the Velo-Retro timeline suggests but I feel this can only be used as a guide.

As the rear brake mounts were an obvious addition I question the originality of the paint colour and decals although the addition of these brake bosses would have created only local disruption to the paint finish which could easily have been touched-up. My view is that black painted Colnago's are quite rare and I don't think I have actually seen an original black Colnagos', from this era, in the past 40 years. I know there is one featured in the Colnago brochures on the Bulgier site.

I am guessing that the front fork has a socket head recess under the brake centre bolt nut to accomodate the newer socket head nut of the latter modern Campagnolo Record brake callipers. I think the previous owner may have only had the earlier, nutted version on hand when the bike was being built. I would also guess that the bottom bracket is a good old Campagonlo Record BB.

As I suggested earlier on, I recommend just commuting on it. It's a great bike as it is.

IF IT WAS MINE:

It hurts me to say this but if it was mine, I think I would actually re-paint the frame and remove those added on rear brake bosses. I'd do it up as a 1980/81 frame and source the appropriate decals from Cyclemondo. Perhaps weighing the frame, once it's stripped down, may help to determine if it is a Mexico or a Super, but I would be content with it being recognised as a Super.

As for components, I[m a Campagnolo tragic and I would stick to the Campagnolo Super/Nuovu components post 1878. You're lucky, you have a good base to start from. With what looks to be a pretty good looking Turbo saddle (not my favourite but a favourite of some) and a Cinelli 1R stem and deep Cinelli bars and Benotto tape (?). Not to ignore the best shifters from that era - Simplex. The suntour stuff is also top shelf especially the slant parallelogram rear derailleur - it's got some good kit.

Best Wishes.

Last edited by Gary Fountain; 03-18-21 at 02:27 AM.
Old 03-16-21, 09:49 AM
Headpost

Bikes: I've stopped at seven.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 185 Posts
If it was mine, I would just take that hideous thing off the back and put on a nice matching caliper. The bridge looks like it's still intact. Then just touch up the paint. Black is easy to match!
Old 03-28-21, 08:00 AM
BigSky_Guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Fountain
From the photos it looks to be a 1980/81 model. There are variations to the estimated Velo-Retro Colnago Super / Mexico timeline such as the bottom bracket 'over the top' cable routing and the conical rear stay bridge. I would suggest that the best frame build guess would be 1980 to 1981. When did Colnago upgrade frame features such as the brazed on cable guides? It was probably a gradual change and probably not at the start of a particular year.

Features such as the dropping of the RH freewheel indent, the conical and cast stay caps, the introduction of straight seat stays, the crimped inner chain stays, whether the Mexico's had a rear stay bridge or not, when the cast front fork crown had the recessed brake nut hole introduced, the cast in 'Colnago' features of the front fork casting, etc, etc, probably occurred around the time the Velo-Retro timeline suggests but I feel this can only be used as a guide.

As the rear brake mounts were an obvious addition I question the originality of the paint colour and decals although the addition of these brake bosses would have created only local disruption to the paint finish which could easily have been touched-up. My view is that black painted Colnago's are quite rare and I don't think I have actually seen an original black Colnagos', from this era, in the past 40 years. I know there is one featured in the Colnago brochures on the Bulgier site.

I am guessing that the front fork has a socket head recess under the brake centre bolt nut to accomodate the newer socket head nut of the latter modern Campagnolo Record brake callipers. I think the previous owner may have only had the earlier, nutted version on hand when the bike was being built. I would also guess that the bottom bracket is a good old Campagonlo Record BB.

As I suggested earlier on, I recommend just commuting on it. It's a great bike as it is.

IF IT WAS MINE:

It hurts me to say this but if it was mine, I think I would actually re-paint the frame and remove those added on rear brake bosses. I'd do it up as a 1980/81 frame and source the appropriate decals from Cyclemondo. Perhaps weighing the frame, once it's stripped down, may help to determine if it is a Mexico or a Super, but I would be content with it being recognised as a Super.

As for components, I[m a Campagnolo tragic and I would stick to the Campagnolo Super/Nuovu components post 1878. You're lucky, you have a good base to start from. With what looks to be a pretty good looking Turbo saddle (not my favourite but a favourite of some) and a Cinelli 1R stem and deep Cinelli bars and Benotto tape (?). Not to ignore the best shifters from that era - Simplex. The suntour stuff is also top shelf especially the slant parallelogram rear derailleur - it's got some good kit.

Best Wishes.
Thanks for this Gary. I really appreciate you taking the time to share some of your knowledge! It sounds like it is a bike worth putting some time and a little $ into it.

Stay well! Keep on peddling

​​​​​​
Old 03-28-21, 09:27 AM
Gary Fountain

Originally Posted by BigSky_Guy
Thanks for this Gary. I really appreciate you taking the time to share some of your knowledge! It sounds like it is a bike worth putting some time and a little $ into it.

Stay well! Keep on peddling

​​​​​​
I couldn't agree more. Best wishes.