Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Destroyer of Cranksets, time for a new one

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 07-29-22, 07:58 AM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts

6’4” 270# and I just destroyed my SRAM Apex crankset on day 5 of RAGBRAI this week. Ride is now done Was wonky all week and finally committed suicide 5 miles outside of Charles City. SAG wagon successfully deployed.

Time for a new and upgraded crankset and BB. Looking for recommendations from other Clydesdales. The last two SRAMs I’ve had lasted ~2000 miles before stripping out. Yes, proper torques and assembly practices used.

Old 07-29-22, 08:39 AM
hayden52

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 19 Posts
What fails? Do the splines strip, or do the bearings fail?
Old 07-29-22, 08:39 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,026 Times in 1,426 Posts
Originally Posted by Toadmeister
6’4” 270# and I just destroyed my SRAM Apex crankset on day 5 of RAGBRAI this week. Ride is now done Was wonky all week and finally committed suicide 5 miles outside of Charles City. SAG wagon successfully deployed.

Time for a new and upgraded crankset and BB. Looking for recommendations from other Clydesdales. The last two SRAMs I’ve had lasted ~2000 miles before stripping out. Yes, proper torques and assembly practices used.

That's no fun!

At 230-260 pounds, the Ultegra 2x crankset on my Roubaix is going on 14,000 miles trouble free. I got a new Shimano BBR60 bottom bracket this week that I'll install soon. I'm not even sure it needs it. The Praxis crabon 1x crank on my Creo is going on 10,000 miles trouble free. I haven't looked at cost, but I'll bet it's gotta be a little spendy. I had a 2x Praxis on my Diverge a few years back that was horrible. It held together okay but it dropped chains constantly. Never did figure out why.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 07-29-22, 08:51 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Do you care about q-factor? MTB cranks are stronger.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 07-29-22, 09:02 AM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Originally Posted by hayden52
What fails? Do the splines strip, or do the bearings fail?
Threads strip out on the retaining nut over time. I can retighten/torque but it’s just a matter of time before all the threads are chewed up and it gets wobbly than falls off. Spline gets progressively chewed up too.

I did add Loctite blue thread locker the last time I did maintenance as suggested by some others.

Bottom bracket was creaking too, time too replace that with the crankset. I definitely need to level up to better, more durable components.

I watched a interesting YouTube video by Harambi where he illustrates how SRAMS design is “*****” and is designed as such to avoid SHIMANO patents. As an engineer myself I see his points.
Old 07-29-22, 09:04 AM
Toadmeister

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Do you care about q-factor? MTB cranks are stronger.
good point as I prefer boost spacing and on a 1x that’s really not much of an issue.

I have a boost spacing Shimano XT crankset on my Salsa Fargo and an Industry Nine BB that’s been solid but I have only probably ~500ish miles on it.

Last edited by Toadmeister; 07-29-22 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-29-22, 10:33 AM
Toadmeister

Considering Shimano GRX 1x right now. Would definitely be an upgrade from SRAM Apex.

I’ve got ~3500 miles on my SRAM Apex derailiur and it has a bent cage. So I was already thinking of updating the rest of the drivetrain to Shimano GRX
Old 07-29-22, 03:18 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

There are not a lot of q156 cranks out there, wish there were. Most MTB cranks are 175 ish. Ones that have individual crank arms are at least going to lose 5 mm when you go to a road BB.

Other options are Canfield (using GXP bottom bracket, SRAM's old version) and Race Face. Race Face has a PF30 bottom bracket for threaded shells but they also still have a few cranks with 24 mm spindles that work with Shimano BB's. The Race Face Ride crank that came with my Stormchaser has a Shimano size spindle but I think it might be oem only, they sure aren't pushing it for retail anyhow

https://www.peterverdone.com/gxp-is-so-awesome/ Includes some notes on crank widths

https://canfieldbikes.com/products/c...s-am-dh-cranks Canfield's hook is that they are available in short sizes which they think is good for reasons they will tell you

https://www.raceface.com/products/bsa-cinch-30mm bottom bracket to put 30mm spindle cranks (usually press fit) in an English threaded shell

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 07-30-22 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-30-22, 03:45 PM
wvridgerider

Bikes: Gunnar Crosshairs, Surly Karate Monkey, Specialized Fuze, Bianchi Volpe, too many others and a lot of broken frame

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 21 Posts
I am 290. Been there for a while. I am fond of the Shimano cranks, not the hollow tech. I have an XT and a GRX double on two different bikes. I have a converted SLX triple to a 1X in my parts box. They have held up well.
Likes For wvridgerider:
Old 07-30-22, 03:56 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Oh, Easton and Race Face are both owned by Fox. After the buyouts Fox made RF the MTB brand and Easton the road brand, so now there are no more "Race Face" road cranks but instead Easton cranks are RF Cinch 30mm cranks with road chain line and q-factor. So there are some games you can play with spindle lengths and q factor. You will have to dig into the details to make sure the chain line and chainstay clearance works for you

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 07-30-22 at 04:15 PM.
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 08-02-22, 07:16 AM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
Convert to one-piece crank, your troubles and worries will be over;
Likes For beng1:
Old 08-03-22, 05:37 AM
Toadmeister

Originally Posted by wvridgerider
I am 290. Been there for a while. I am fond of the Shimano cranks, not the hollow tech. I have an XT and a GRX double on two different bikes. I have a converted SLX triple to a 1X in my parts box. They have held up well.

I ordered the Shimano GRX RX-600 1x, which is forged (not hollow tech) and their bottom bracket.

I like their 2x thru bolt design better for retention and ease of maintenance.
Old 08-06-22, 07:58 AM
Toadmeister

Update, received crankset & BB and threw them on, went for a short 7 mile spin. Of course new components are smooth like butter. Nice to be able to put some real torque on my left leg again!

I guess I’ll wait and see how things are going after another 1500-2000 miles.
Old 08-06-22, 07:59 AM
Toadmeister

Originally Posted by beng1
lol do they even sell these new anymore on new bikes?
Old 08-06-22, 09:54 AM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
lol do they even sell these new anymore on new bikes?
I think they are the standard for BMX and also on most all bicycles sold to the general public. Go to Wal-Mart and see for yourself. They sell kits to convert bikes with one-piece cranks to three-piece cranks, so it should be no problem for the mechanically inclined to switch from three-piece to one-piece. The one-piece steel forged cranks give me peace of mind, being a 200 or more pounder, and liking fast riding, I know I have at least one bike that will never have a problem with it's pedal cranks ever. I have destroyed a few pairs of aluminum three-piece cranks on my mountainbike. I am in the market for a 1980s-90s Huffy MTB in a large size with the one-piece cranks I can fix up for off-road so I can have a bullet-proof MTB to match my bullet-proof Huffy road-bike.
Old 08-07-22, 03:01 PM
DWhitworth

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I ordered the Shimano GRX RX-600 1x, which is forged (not hollow tech) and their bottom bracket.

I like their 2x thru bolt design better for retention and ease of maintenance.
My road bike has Ultegra hollow tech since I got it (I think 2016) and has way more than 10k niles on it with my weight in between 340-375# and no issues. I used to worry but then I thought about it and realized that pro level riders put way more watts for way longer than I ever would through them and quit worrying about it.

That said, I put GRX on my gravel bike to get the better climb gearing and like it very much.

Dave
Old 08-07-22, 03:43 PM
Toadmeister

Originally Posted by DWhitworth
My road bike has Ultegra hollow tech since I got it (I think 2016) and has way more than 10k niles on it with my weight in between 340-375# and no issues. I used to worry but then I thought about it and realized that pro level riders put way more watts for way longer than I ever would through them and quit worrying about it.

That said, I put GRX on my gravel bike to get the better climb gearing and like it very much.

Dave
Those pro riders have a different duty cycle than us Clydesdales. Watts or our body weight is not a good comparison.

I work for an OEM of Engines. Certain Duty cycles and what they do to wear or shorten the life of components can be very surprising.

Guaranteed Shimano or SRAM really doesn’t know themselves what will happen once thousands of components get thousands of miles in the field. No doubt they do their own testing but it can’t cover all users and conditions.
Old 08-15-22, 12:21 PM
hammond9705

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by DWhitworth

Dave

I weigh less then you and had. This happen to my Shimao Ultegra after about 5k miles. I was disappointed but replaced it with the same model
Likes For hammond9705:
Old 08-17-22, 10:59 AM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 83 Posts
Late to the conversation but do you mash or spin? How do you mount the bike?
Old 08-17-22, 11:50 AM
Toadmeister

Originally Posted by Black wallnut
Late to the conversation but do you mash or spin? How do you mount the bike?
I spin when riding.

But good point on mounting the bike. I step on that left pedal first, the one that keeps failing!
Old 08-17-22, 11:52 AM
Toadmeister

Originally Posted by hammond9705

I weigh less then you and had. This happen to my Shimao Ultegra after about 5k miles. I was disappointed but replaced it with the same model
I’ve heard of that problem with Shimano HollowTech. Based on those issues I went with a solid forged crank arm.
Old 08-17-22, 12:20 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 83 Posts
I spin when riding.

But good point on mounting the bike. I step on that left pedal first, the one that keeps failing!
If you step on the pedal as you are swinging your leg over the frame "cowboy style" that could be the cause of your issue.
Old 08-18-22, 07:47 PM
Toadmeister

Originally Posted by Black wallnut
If you step on the pedal as you are swinging your leg over the frame "cowboy style" that could be the cause of your issue.
whelp, I actually stand on the ground with my left, swing my right leg over, put my foot and weight on my right pedal, than take off that way with my right foot first.

so, nope, don’t overload the left side.

Interestingly, I injured my right hip cartilage this way and I need to change it up.
Old 08-21-22, 09:25 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
I think they are the standard for BMX and also on most all bicycles sold to the general public. Go to Wal-Mart and see for yourself. They sell kits to convert bikes with one-piece cranks to three-piece cranks, so it should be no problem for the mechanically inclined to switch from three-piece to one-piece. The one-piece steel forged cranks give me peace of mind, being a 200 or more pounder, and liking fast riding, I know I have at least one bike that will never have a problem with it's pedal cranks ever. I have destroyed a few pairs of aluminum three-piece cranks on my mountainbike. I am in the market for a 1980s-90s Huffy MTB in a large size with the one-piece cranks I can fix up for off-road so I can have a bullet-proof MTB to match my bullet-proof Huffy road-bike.
Bicycle frame has to have the American one piece crank shell on the bottom bracket. One piece crank bottom bracket shells are much bigger than most bottom bracket shells now being sold. As Beng1 noted they are sold on lower end bicycles. I use an old Schwinn Varsity with the American bottom bracket shell with Profile 180mm BMX cranks. The bearings are massive, the crank axle is 19mm around. I've been riding this crank set for 20 years with no mechanical or breakage issues. Bike is heavy but so am I and in Schwinn's case the heaviness involves the durability of the frame/fork. They are very durable. On some of my other bicycles I also run an older ISIS axle and cranks with no issues for several years, and an early 180mm RaceFace MTB square tapered axle setup, also with no problems for many years now. From experience I can bend a steel one piece crank but not a chrome moly steel one piece crank. Profile makes cranks and axles to fit almost any bottom bracket. It is easy to adjust q factors with Profile cranks. Their website is ProfileRacing.com. Their cranks are welded chrome moly arms and almost indestructible.

Last edited by tallbikeman; 08-21-22 at 09:29 PM.
Old 05-28-23, 10:52 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts

This crank and sprockets are from a 70's Ross bicycle. Ross made the skip tooth big sprocket to make shifting onto it very easy. They had a patent on this idea. My son owns a Ross Europa 10speed from this era with this feature. I had to look it up because I didn't know about it. It is the easiest shifting front sprocket system I have ever ridden. The skip tooth sprocket teeth wear faster because there is fewer of them which is really the only downside to this feature.