Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

Studded Fat Tire Review: Four Studded Fat Bike Tires That Will Crush It

Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Old 10-16-21, 07:12 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts

https://www.singletracks.com/mtb-gear/four-studded-fat-bike-tires-that-will-crush-it-through-the-winter-review/
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 11-09-21, 08:58 AM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
I've been running the Dillinger 4s for a couple seasons...this will be season 3. I just re-studded them towards the beginning of the year. Think the replacement studs were a bit more aggressive than the ones they came with. I guess they were saying that the studs can get pulled out riding on frozen dirt? I haven't had that issue...I ride a lot of frozen dirt/gravel roads through the winter.
Likes For Craptacular8:
Old 11-09-21, 11:42 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
I've only thrown a couple studs riding on all kinds of conditions, mostly they wear down riding on pavement.

I replace the studs in my Dillingers after a few seasons too, and I agree that the replacement studs seem to be more aggressive than the ones that came with the tires.
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 11-15-21, 04:05 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 117 Posts
For me, it will be the studded Gnarwhals or anything more aggressive that Terrene comes out with this winter. I considered a Gnar/D5 combo but the D5 slips a bit on deeper wet snow where the Wratchild did not. I don't like the 45NRTH XL studs since I do not find them to be any improvement on the regular studs. They just fall out more often.
Old 11-16-21, 01:56 PM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
We historically have a first snowfall by November 16th here in Minnesota, and this year is no different, lol. This is the first year I've felt that I maybe need to put on studded tires already though. Rode last night on the gravel roads around me. All decently packed snow covered roads....super slick. When the wind caught me just right, it slide bike and myself sideways a few inches. I'm surprised I stayed upright, lol. I'm running Schwalbe JJ's...not a ton of knobbies when new, and I think I've worn the center tread down a bit...good enough for single track (I'm not a serious slayer of trails), and my typical riding...they'd do for our typical snow where there is a little bit of softer snow at the surface to bite into, but they've got nothing for traction on what I rode last night.

I'd just assume put on the studs, as both swapping on the Nates...they may be 120tpi, but they still seem more work to turn over than 45NRTH studded dillingers, lol.