Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Charger Questions

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Charger Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-22, 08:03 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Charger Questions

I notice how hot my charger gets when in use. It is a 2a unit. Wondering if anyone here has a unit with a cooling fan? Where did you buy it?
Thanks!
Old 06-05-22, 08:50 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
I have two from Luna Cycle that have been great. Both are 52V; the first has been perfect for seven or so years, and I procured the second recently since it provides for 80, 90 or 100% charge. Both have fans.

Last edited by 2old; 06-05-22 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-05-22, 10:51 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
I have two from Luna Cycle that have been great. Both are 52V; the first has been perfect for seven or so years, and I procured the second recently since it provider for 80, 90 or 100% charge. Both have fans.
I want that variable charge one for my e-trike but they have been out of the adapter forever. I need the Anderson powerpole end and just want something that clips on, not something I have to actually "wire" on. Wish they would get them back in stock again.
I love the idea of just being able to set an 80% cap and walk away.
Likes For linberl:
Old 06-05-22, 02:01 PM
2old

If you need an Anderson/XT-60, you may be able to get one from Amazon or ebay.

Edit: Just checked and looks like ebay has them for about $10. I assume that you need a male Anderson to female XT-60.

Last edited by 2old; 06-05-22 at 02:05 PM.
Old 06-05-22, 02:23 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by 2old
If you need an Anderson/XT-60, you may be able to get one from Amazon or ebay.

Edit: Just checked and looks like ebay has them for about $10. I assume that you need a male Anderson to female XT-60.

So I am guessing the charger has an xt 60 female (whatever that is)? Do the adapters have to be rated for anything in particular? It just clips on the end of the existing one, no skill required? Thx
Likes For linberl:
Old 06-05-22, 02:27 PM
2old

Check, but the charger has an XT-60 male AIR (and probably your battery Anderson female); can't check now, but LC should indicate. You can just plug - plug (theoretically, since I've done this before with other systems.
Old 06-05-22, 02:47 PM
linberl

Apparently I need an xt60 female to barrel adapter. On amazon all I can find are male xt60 to barrel.
Old 06-05-22, 07:03 PM
Elderbear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've also noticed that the chargers that will stop at 80% are very hard to find currently. A workaround is to invest the time to figure out the rate at which your charger fills your battery by stopping it every half hour or even 15 min, and reading the voltage out of the charge port, (with the charger removed) with a voltmeter. There are lots of internet sites with voltage/percentage charts for various voltage batteries. Then you can make a graph of the voltage/%age on the vertical axis and time charging across the horizontal.
This graph will allow you to estimate very accurately the time required to go from whatever state of charge you are starting with to whatever %age you want. Then with a hardware store timer outlet, you can set the timer to stop the charge at that amount of time. My 48v 17ah goes from 45v to 51.7v in about 3hrs and 15min on the charger that came with it.
Likes For Elderbear:
Old 06-05-22, 10:29 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by Elderbear
I've also noticed that the chargers that will stop at 80% are very hard to find currently. A workaround is to invest the time to figure out the rate at which your charger fills your battery by stopping it every half hour or even 15 min, and reading the voltage out of the charge port, (with the charger removed) with a voltmeter. There are lots of internet sites with voltage/percentage charts for various voltage batteries. Then you can make a graph of the voltage/%age on the vertical axis and time charging across the horizontal.
This graph will allow you to estimate very accurately the time required to go from whatever state of charge you are starting with to whatever %age you want. Then with a hardware store timer outlet, you can set the timer to stop the charge at that amount of time. My 48v 17ah goes from 45v to 51.7v in about 3hrs and 15min on the charger that came with it.
That's not a bad idea if I can't find the right adapter. Luna has good stock of the chargers and I do particularly like that it does slow and fast charging. I would almost always charge to 80% via the slow rate, but if I was going for a really long ride I could top it off to 100% in the morning using the fast charge function. That's a nice bit of flexibility to have.
Likes For linberl:
Old 07-03-22, 02:08 AM
Mirzaali8078

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anker's PowerPort III Nano is the best option for charging any phone fast: It's tiny and inexpensive, and it can get a fully drained phone battery to more than 50% full in half an hour. USB-C chargers can top up phones faster than older USB-A models can, and they work with both iPhones and Android devices.
Old 07-03-22, 08:07 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 587 Posts
Originally Posted by Mirzaali8078
Anker's PowerPort III Nano is the best option for charging any phone fast: It's tiny and inexpensive, and it can get a fully drained phone battery to more than 50% full in half an hour. USB-C chargers can top up phones faster than older USB-A models can, and they work with both iPhones and Android devices.
They aren't talking about charging a phone. Read the thread before commenting.
Old 07-05-22, 08:45 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
You can estimate the charge time pretty close once you have a little experience with your charger and battery. I wait until the right time to start charging based on current battery voltage and desired voltage for my ride. Easy since I always ride in the afternoon. Use a timer on the charger and set it up the night before for morning rides.