Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Any Advice on F200m on a 317m Track?

Old 07-18-22, 06:26 PM
brian44

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 30 Posts
Any Advice on F200m on a 317m Track?

Hey Everyone!

I'm going down to DLV next week for their sprint night and Wednesday races. I currently have a "decent" outdoor F200m time (11.8 +/- a couple of tenths), but my only match sprint/F200m experiences are on a 250m track.

Any advice on the wind-up? I usually run 114 to 123 inches on a 250m track (outdoor)...should I consider less with the more shallow banking? Of course, many other variables are associated with that decision, but I am always open to tips/suggestions from other experienced folks.

Thanks!
Old 07-19-22, 07:04 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
I generally run a bigger gear on flatter tracks.
Old 07-20-22, 08:05 AM
brian44

Originally Posted by topflightpro
I generally run a bigger gear on flatter tracks.
Great..thanks!
Old 07-20-22, 11:42 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
the windup at DLV is a little bit weird because the homestraight is a little bit uphill, but you're probably going to get as much speed as you can there and come down through turns 1 and 2 to hit the 200m line. You might be at max speed there but you might not, because the backstretch is downhill. Tight turns at DLV, so a practice run or two will be helpful to handle that little dip in 3-4, and expect to bog down a bit on the homestraight.

The last time I raced there I got beaten by a rider who was slower than me but knew the track, who timed his run at me perfectly, took the dip in 3-4 better than me, and knew that I'd bog on the homestretch.
Likes For queerpunk:
Old 07-20-22, 05:23 PM
brian44

Originally Posted by queerpunk
the windup at DLV is a little bit weird because the homestraight is a little bit uphill, but you're probably going to get as much speed as you can there and come down through turns 1 and 2 to hit the 200m line. You might be at max speed there but you might not, because the backstretch is downhill. Tight turns at DLV, so a practice run or two will be helpful to handle that little dip in 3-4, and expect to bog down a bit on the homestraight.

The last time I raced there I got beaten by a rider who was slower than me but knew the track, who timed his run at me perfectly, took the dip in 3-4 better than me, and knew that I'd bog on the homestretch.
Thank you for the information...it is super helpful. I did some YouTube digging and found a sprint session recorded with F200s, which helped with the line visualization. Basically, reverse everything I know and use the drop on the start/finish stretch out of 4 to build, punch through turns 1 and 2, and drop in on the 200m line around turn 3.