Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Pack Mounts- Bolt on Vs. Straps

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-22, 11:38 PM
Sully151

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 9 (29), Trek Fuel EX 8 (26) Trek Project One Road.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts

Hi,
I am getting a steel gravel bike built and I have the option to put routing points on the top tube and in the main triangle for packs. Is this a worthwhile expenditure? The bike will be used mostly for day rides and a couple of weekend trips a year.

Are bolt on bags more secure? better for the bike? Are there any cons to mounting bolts?
Old 07-28-22, 08:13 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Braze-on mounts have no cons that I know of. Your packs will be more secure and less prone to movement, rubbing, etc. If your weekend trips aren’t fully loaded, you might be fine with straps, but the more you carry the more the mounts make sense. I’d buy for the rides you might take later, as your interest in bikepacking grows with your new bike.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 07-28-22, 08:54 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 1,181 Posts
The assorted bikepacking bags I've looked at are typically very well designed to strap on with no built-in mounting points. Rear seatbag as example mounts to the seat rails. Front bag mounts to the h-bar. Frame bag velcro straps to the assorted down/seat and top tubes. I don;t know of any bikepacking bag designer that requires or uses eyelets. Except a top tube design that has eyelets on the top tube for a small bag. I would not bother with added on eyelets, etc....as the bags work fine with the designed in straps. There might be some fork mounted bags that could use eyelets, that's very manufacturer dependent. Adding eyelets makes sense if you intend to add racks and panniers. Kind of your call as to what method you see yourself using. Panniers using racks allow a lot more stuff to be carried, that adds weight but also allows you to maybe use existing camping gear that would not otherwise be compact enough to fit into the bikepacking bag system. Again, this becomes your call.
Old 07-28-22, 11:29 AM
M Rose

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 2 Disk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
The assorted bikepacking bags I've looked at are typically very well designed to strap on with no built-in mounting points. Rear seatbag as example mounts to the seat rails. Front bag mounts to the h-bar. Frame bag velcro straps to the assorted down/seat and top tubes. I don;t know of any bikepacking bag designer that requires or uses eyelets. Except a top tube design that has eyelets on the top tube for a small bag. I would not bother with added on eyelets, etc....as the bags work fine with the designed in straps. There might be some fork mounted bags that could use eyelets, that's very manufacturer dependent. Adding eyelets makes sense if you intend to add racks and panniers. Kind of your call as to what method you see yourself using. Panniers using racks allow a lot more stuff to be carried, that adds weight but also allows you to maybe use existing camping gear that would not otherwise be compact enough to fit into the bikepacking bag system. Again, this becomes your call.
There are a lot of full and half frame strapless (bolt on) frame bags out there. In fact, most of the high end frame packs are bolt on.

OP, think of it this way… if the company is offering to add braze-ons to any part of the frame now, would it be cost prohibitive to do so now, or wait and do it later… personally I would rather have the provision for something I may never use than find out down the road I wish I could have this but can’t.
Old 07-28-22, 01:09 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Bolt on is cleaner, reduces strap rub, but sometimes your bags might not have the right holes for the bolt spacing and you would have to modify them.
Old 07-28-22, 08:49 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Sounds like you're having a custom frame built, in which case I recommend that you get everything you might ever want added to it. Those extra mounts weight practically nothing, and the cost is trivial as a % of the entire bike's price.

Maybe you've thought of this, but -- if not -- consider a third (or fourth!) set of water bottle mounting bosses. On a bike like that, you can't have too many. I had a third set put on my custom gravel bike, and I use the third cage a lot.
Old 07-29-22, 10:41 PM
Sully151

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 9 (29), Trek Fuel EX 8 (26) Trek Project One Road.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks everyone. I decided to get some mounts put on. I probably won't get the bike until sometime in the Fall, but I am pretty excited.
Likes For Sully151: