Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

The Steinsapirs sue Rad Power Bikes over their daughter's death

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

The Steinsapirs sue Rad Power Bikes over their daughter's death

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-22, 01:17 PM
jfouellette

Bikes: 1999 Bike friday NWT, 2009 Bike Friday Tikit, 2023 silverock Dewy, 2008 Dahon Smooth Hound, 2023 Litepro Trifold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 139 Posts
Originally Posted by speedy25
My turn to weigh in.

The news story has "chunks" of any factual information missing. This is typical of the times paper. They no longer do journalism. Dont make up your mind on what happened other than the actual facts of (sadly) a girl is dead.

My own personal experience is that self assembled consumer direct bikes almost ALWAYS have at least one safety fault when they show up at my shop. Who knows how many that bike had.

While some people can ride a passenger on a rack that isnt design to carry passengers and no footrests for their feet, that doesnt mean its a good idea. Their lawsuit may be thrown out on that technicality alone.

There are many people that I cringe about wanting a test ride. Then there was the 8 yo boy that I eventually sold a Yamaha e-mtb, that I had no qualms about letting him ride a class 3 Raleigh Lore. That kid could ride! Even kids have different skill levels. As a teen I gave my friends rides in the basket of my cycle truck. It was just like a load of Sunday newspapers.

Its just another nuisance suit where legal wrangling happens because someone can sue a company that may have deep pockets.

It will be interesting to see if it goes ahead or just quietly disappears. It could have an effect on consumer direct sales if they find out that self assembly curse is part of the fact finding for this case.

-SP
You bring an interesting perspective to the issue. For the parents, could bringing a law suit be a way of coming to closure with this this sad situation? I'm not a psychologist but I do wonder.

How many people would trust themselves to assemble their car from a kit? Would it be as safe as buying it fully assembled from the dealership?
Old 08-07-22, 02:32 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by speedy25
My turn to weigh in.

The news story has "chunks" of any factual information missing. This is typical of the times paper. They no longer do journalism. Dont make up your mind on what happened other than the actual facts of (sadly) a girl is dead.

My own personal experience is that self assembled consumer direct bikes almost ALWAYS have at least one safety fault when they show up at my shop. Who knows how many that bike had.

While some people can ride a passenger on a rack that isnt design to carry passengers and no footrests for their feet, that doesnt mean its a good idea. Their lawsuit may be thrown out on that technicality alone.

There are many people that I cringe about wanting a test ride. Then there was the 8 yo boy that I eventually sold a Yamaha e-mtb, that I had no qualms about letting him ride a class 3 Raleigh Lore. That kid could ride! Even kids have different skill levels. As a teen I gave my friends rides in the basket of my cycle truck. It was just like a load of Sunday newspapers.

Its just another nuisance suit where legal wrangling happens because someone can sue a company that may have deep pockets.

It will be interesting to see if it goes ahead or just quietly disappears. It could have an effect on consumer direct sales if they find out that self assembly curse is part of the fact finding for this case.

-SP
Radpower has a store near me and you don't have to assemble at all. They are opening more brick and mortars.
Old 08-07-22, 02:36 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,690 Times in 2,513 Posts
I don't think there was much journalism to be done in this case. They basically published a press release from the parents though. People do seek closure by suing. Like I previously said, I don't know what the parents expected from radpower. They are apparently successful lawyers, would they really advise one of their clients to talk to a person that might think the client had injured?
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 08-07-22, 03:03 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 617 Posts
Interesting (to me), The Electric Bike Company (I drive past their store in Costa Mesa, CA from time to time and stopped to look at their bikes once, delivers their bikes completely assembled AFAIK (in a massive box). Might be the wave of the future as I think someone mentioned.
Old 08-07-22, 11:06 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
This is from Radpower's store website in Berkeley, Ca. Apparently they are trying to differentiate between online/build yourself bikes and their built-in-store bikes. Interesting.
Old 08-08-22, 09:32 AM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by jfouellette
How many people would trust themselves to assemble their car from a kit? Would it be as safe as buying it fully assembled from the dealership?
The real problem is they think a bicycle is a simple device and ANYONE can assemble it. If that applied to cars the highways would be a total mess!

Look at the forums where you have sooo many people who have no grasp of how to adjust their brakes!

-SP