Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Remove tubular glue from. rim.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-22, 12:57 PM
grant40

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 204 Posts

I installed a tubular tire for the 1st time yesterday. It was really messy but you got to start somewhere. I got glue everywhere the brake track on the rim. Is there any way to remove it without damaging the tire or rim. I can't just have the brake pads rub it off as I ride fixed gear with no brakes.
Old 08-13-22, 03:35 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
On a brakeless track bike, there's no compelling reason to remove glue from the rim sidewalls. Dave Tesch used to glory in this, smearing mass quantities Clément red rim cement with little regard for where it ended up.

But if it bothers you, a rag with some odorless mineral spirits should soften the glue enough to allow it to be scraped off.
Old 08-13-22, 08:37 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Mineral spirits probably won't do it. I've always used lacquer thinner, it works great especially if you clean right after mounting the tire. I've probably mounted over 1500 tubulars so I've tried everything. Lacquer thinner is by far the best, most easily acquired, not hugely nasty stuff you can get. I can't stand seeing glue on rims/tires, to me it means that the person that installed the tire doesn't really care about the quality of their work.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 08-13-22, 10:44 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
I got some Tubasti rim cement on my rim doing my first in 20 years. Took it off with lacquer thinner just fine but cvould not get rid of the noisy "grabbies" of the brake shoes using more lacquer thinner, Simple Green and dish detergent in all possible orders. Then I read here about treating the rm with garden dirt. Yup, Works. 500 or miles later I might have to give it another once over.
Old 08-14-22, 02:56 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by grant40
I installed a tubular tire for the 1st time yesterday. It was really messy but you got to start somewhere. I got glue everywhere the brake track on the rim. Is there any way to remove it without damaging the tire or rim. I can't just have the brake pads rub it off as I ride fixed gear with no brakes.
The best solvent is an aromatic, like toluene (aka toluol) or xylene. The latter is available at my local hardware store. Much better solvent than mineral spirits or alcohols or acetone, etc.