Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for an endurance/all-road bike with new Ultegra 12 speed groupset

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Suggestions for an endurance/all-road bike with new Ultegra 12 speed groupset

Old 08-14-22, 10:01 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 668 Times in 280 Posts
Pics of the final build

Here is it after the wheelset/tire upgrade... The 700x29c Enve SES tires inflate to 31c on the AR wheelset. Took it out this morning and the set-up feels ideal for this bike. I still can't get over how good the new 12 speed Ultegra shifts...

Likes For Caliwild:
Old 08-15-22, 06:50 AM
TennBent

Bikes: BMC Roadmachine, Obed Baseline

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliwild
Here is it after the wheelset/tire upgrade... The 700x29c Enve SES tires inflate to 31c on the AR wheelset. Took it out this morning and the set-up feels ideal for this bike. I still can't get over how good the new 12 speed Ultegra shifts...

My, oh my, it certainly does look fine!

I took mine out on our Saturday club ride and was pretty impressed. All I have done for now is adjust seat height and tilt. It fits me well enough to get me through the next two weeks until my fit appointment. The shifting is pretty darn slick. Coming from mechanical shifting, there were times that I didn't realize that it had already shifted. Quick, quiet, and smooth.

I think we are both going to be very happy with our bikes.
Likes For TennBent:
Old 08-15-22, 08:25 AM
NumbersGuy

Bikes: Fairlight Strael 3.0 Ultegra Di2, Lauf Seigla Rigid SRAM Red XPLP

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
That's a great looking bike and the new wheels definitely add to the aesthetic appeal. Just enough detailing on both to not fall into the generic stealth black look that is sometimes overdone.

I'm awaiting my new bike with Ultegra 12 speed and am really looking forward to it based on all the positive feedback I've seen. I'm sure it'll feel great compared to the mechanical 6800 and GRX 800 that most of my riding is done on.
Likes For NumbersGuy:
Old 08-18-22, 10:21 AM
Caliwild

Quick update: Took the bike for a longer ride yesterday and I will say that I'm never going back to narrow rims/tires on a road bike again. The Enve AR's are super wide (they almost look comically wide) but they match up perfectly with their 700x29 Enve SES tires (which measure 31c on the rim). This combo does not feel any more sluggish than a narrow rim with 25s/28s and the downhill speed/confidence is much better. And, of course, the comfort is upped by a lot due to the lower pressures. This, combined with the effortless shifting, make this bike a pure joy to ride. Color me impressed. I just ordered the BMC top tube bag as well (https://mikesbikes.com/products/bmc-...d-top-tube-bag) and will post pics once I mount it...
Old 08-19-22, 09:05 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 579 Times in 437 Posts
Sweet machine! Love BMCs... It's the only brand right now that would make me leave Giant.
Old 08-23-22, 03:44 PM
Caliwild

Wow, I just discovered something that I guess most people already knew... With Shimano di2, you can actually see which gear you're in by looking at your computer (mine is a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt but it works with Garmin too). See photo below... This is way easier than me trying to look between my legs at the cassette!

Likes For Caliwild:
Old 08-26-22, 05:39 AM
TennBent

Bikes: BMC Roadmachine, Obed Baseline

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
I have a Garmin and it is a nice feature. What I like even better is that, at least with the Garmin, you can see the remaining battery levels in all three batteries. This will be especially helpful with the button batteries in the shifters.
Likes For TennBent:
Old 08-26-22, 09:51 AM
Caliwild

Originally Posted by TennBent
I have a Garmin and it is a nice feature. What I like even better is that, at least with the Garmin, you can see the remaining battery levels in all three batteries. This will be especially helpful with the button batteries in the shifters.
Good to know... Thanks!
Old 08-30-22, 05:11 PM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliwild
Wow, I just discovered something that I guess most people already knew... With Shimano di2, you can actually see which gear you're in by looking at your computer (mine is a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt but it works with Garmin too). See photo below... This is way easier than me trying to look between my legs at the cassette!
Wahoo Elemnt works with Sram AXS also
Old 10-27-22, 10:54 AM
Caliwild

A few updates...

OK, I decided to get matchy-matchy with this bike so ended up also upgrading to the Enve SES AR handlebars, as well as their road stem, computer mount, cages, and new saddle (collaboration with Selle Italia). This is to go with the SES 3.4 wheels and Enve's 700x29 tires (which I love). With the bike as shown (with pedals, cages, computer mount), the bike weighs exactly 17 lbs. Anyway, this is definitely my most blinged out bike (in a subtle way methinks). And the SES AR handlebars are definitely the most comfortable bars I've ever used. The flat area on top feels amazing and it definitely has reduced road buzz. The K-Edge/Enve computer mount is very nice and tidy and I was able to mount my Light & Motion light to the GoPro style mount underneath. Lastly, I was without the bike for a few days and had forgotten how well the new Ultegra shifts. Thanks for listening...

Likes For Caliwild:
Old 10-27-22, 12:49 PM
thin_concrete
Achtung!

Bikes: 60.1, Marvel

Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 161 Posts
Looks great. Congrats!
Likes For thin_concrete: