Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Any way to get away from 700c ?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Any way to get away from 700c ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-22, 12:35 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by runnergoneridin
I'll have to measure clearance but I feel like I have quite a bit. I didn't realize I had so many options for 700c tire width.
Oh yes every place that sells 700c tires will have a wide variety of widths if you look.
Old 08-16-22, 08:11 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6187 Post(s)
Liked 4,805 Times in 3,314 Posts
Yes, I ride on mixed road textures. Grainy, sometimes smooth, choppy at transitions, bumps, debris (often)... not likely anything different from what everyone else deals with. But the road isn't smooth like a skate park.
I have bad roads I ride around here. Doesn't keep me from riding them when I need to. I go around the pot holes, avoid the deep cracks that would rip my sidewalls to shreds and either bunny hop or slow way down for things that might pinch flat a tire/tube. Even my regular route has plenty of these things. I just avoid them and stay on the smooth asphalt.

Tubeless tires require a specific wheel to accommodate, right?
I think most new road and gravel bikes will come with wheels that probably only need a valve stem for tubeless wheels and some sealant when you decide to put a tubeless tire on it.

Many rims of any sort will only need some proper tubeless tape in addition to those things. There are some tubeless tires that need special rims made exclusively for them. And of course there is, like in all things the arguments for which tubeless system is better.

However a tubeless person should really answer this question. I've not done tubeless and that is just my take on what I've investigated for if I ever do go tubeless.
Old 08-16-22, 08:59 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 438 Posts
Yes, I ride on mixed road textures. Grainy, sometimes smooth, choppy at transitions, bumps, debris (often)... not likely anything different from what everyone else deals with. But the road isn't smooth like a skate park. Tubeless tires require a specific wheel to accommodate, right?
Your rims should be rated for the tires you're using (vice versa) so yes, both need to be labelled as TL ready/approved/whatever.

I guess you could run a TL setup on non-TL rims, but I wouldn't even dare to try.