Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Achy hips & thighs

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Achy hips & thighs

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-22, 04:57 PM
justtrying

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Achy hips & thighs

Wondering if anyone has experienced this. I am a soon to be 69 yr old recreational cyclist. I ride 3-4 times a week 15-20 miles a ride. Well July was a good month my cycling time and miles went up around 20% from the month before. 13 days ago I rode a little over 20 miles but for the first time this yr, with moderate short hills. Felt great the next day then about 2 days later my hips and thighs have ached, no pain just achy. It’s been 10 days and they still feel the same. Any one have any suggestions what it might be, beginning of arthritis, strained muscle fibers etc. Going out for an easy short ride over the weekend. I intend to see my PCP, if things don’t improve by next week. Thanks in advance
Old 08-11-22, 09:43 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 432 Posts
Originally Posted by justtrying
Wondering if anyone has experienced this. I am a soon to be 69 yr old recreational cyclist. I ride 3-4 times a week 15-20 miles a ride. Well July was a good month my cycling time and miles went up around 20% from the month before. 13 days ago I rode a little over 20 miles but for the first time this yr, with moderate short hills. Felt great the next day then about 2 days later my hips and thighs have ached, no pain just achy. It’s been 10 days and they still feel the same. Any one have any suggestions what it might be, beginning of arthritis, strained muscle fibers etc. Going out for an easy short ride over the weekend. I intend to see my PCP, if things don’t improve by next week. Thanks in advance
Don't let the heavy stuff play with your mind...
CHeck out DOMS on the interweb...
As long as it's not clearly in the joints, more in the musculature, then DOMS.
Best way to counter a lighter case of DOMS, is to ride, usually called 'recovery ride', a really slow pace, compared to what you normally might do, with an easy 'spin' to the pedals, using a 'cadence' which goees lightly, quickly - but not so quick that your breathing rate increases much beyond normal. 45min to 1 hr - however far that is, is not important. Recovery rides sometimes feel difficult at the start, but from about 1/2 to finish the legs start feeling quite good. SO good that you may be tempted to ride harder again - RESIST !!! finish the recovery ride at the pace you have been doing.
Pedaling uphills use the muscle groups differently from cruising on flatter terrain. Same muscles, just different engagement spectrum.
Keep going at the hills, but do less hills in the earlier rides, you can add on more as you do more. Do them in a gear which doesn't require heavy pushing, try to turn the cranks a bit quicker with an easier gear. even if the riding pace seems too slow.
Alternating days with hills and between, days with less or no hills, for the earlier weeks.
The aches will fade away, the hills will become a bit easier, but not easy - you'll likely go a bit faster (or can go faster).
Young guy like you will adapt fine.
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 08-12-22, 06:46 AM
Speedskater

Bikes: Bob Jackson, Trek & Sampson

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
DOMS
Delayed-onset muscle soreness (DOMS) is muscle pain that begins after you've worked out. It normally starts a day or two after a workout.
Old 08-12-22, 08:35 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
When you increase your exercise load, your body has to adjust. It just wants you to realize you are doing more. If you keep showing it that you wish to do this level of exercise, it'll get use to it and won't complain till you increase your load yet again.
Old 08-12-22, 09:19 AM
justtrying

Thanks to all. I did read up ob DOMS,before my initial post. I was just concerned that around 12 days later that I was still achy. Going to walk 9
holes of golf today and tomorrow I will take 30-45 minute ride of easy spinning.
Old 08-12-22, 12:37 PM
pennstater

Bikes: Look 765 Gravel RS, Lynskey Cooper CX, Lynskey R260

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
I am a 69 y.o. recreational rider who does about 100 miles per week. I was having similar muscle aches that would not subside. Turns out I was vitamin B12 deficient. This can be a problem for individuals over 60 particularly if they are on a proton pump inhibitor like Nexium or have GI absorption problems common with health issues like Celiac disease. This was diagnosed with a simple blood test. Even though I was taking a multi-vitamin because the root of the problem is poor absorption in the GI tract. The remedy has been monthly B12 injections. My chronic muscle aches were gone within a week of the first injection. Not saying this is the cause of YOUR aches, just part of a differential diagnosis it the ache does not resolve with some rest.
Likes For pennstater:
Old 08-12-22, 07:40 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
When I was your age, after a 'hard' day = a 'rest' day was off the bike and just the lighter work around the house & garden. Mileage was around 100/wk in 3 or 4 rides, almost every one with hills.

Only a couple years later, after a really hard day I needed 2 rest days to be 100%. 40 flat miles (for me) is far less fatiguing than 20 with small chainring, low gearing climbs.

Then came a surgery and a further setback, but not too hugely.
Main thing is no mishaps. Crashes and otherwise.
Stay strong this year for next year - that's my motto.

and 'find comfortable saddles' has gone up on the list of late.
Old 08-15-22, 02:31 PM
justtrying

Thanks to all went on a short ride w/ easy spinning and kept the Hr low and felt better by the end of the weekend. Going for a longer ride tomorrow
Likes For justtrying:
Old 08-17-22, 07:37 AM
bigkahuna

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to all went on a short ride w/ easy spinning and kept the Hr low and felt better by the end of the weekend. Going for a longer ride tomorrow
I am 52, but have been rough on my body, (Joints). Been noticing alot more pain and aches in hips. Was hurting pretty bad yesterday. (Last week I rode just shy of 100 miles). Did a late afternoon 16 mile ride. Felt pretty good afterwards and today......
Old 08-18-22, 07:34 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Have a look at the HMB thread. You're just getting older. Sucks. This is just the beginning. The sleigh ride down starts about now. As we get older, our recovery time goes nuts. That becomes the limiter.
Old 08-21-22, 01:58 PM
justtrying

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Have a look at the HMB thread. You're just getting older. Sucks. This is just the beginning. The sleigh ride down starts about now. As we get older, our recovery time goes nuts. That becomes the limiter.
Thank you. Lol, I find it quite ironic you posted your reply on my 69th birthday
Old 08-24-22, 09:58 AM
motochick 

Bikes: '80 Medici Tourismo, '82 Merckx, '85 Peugeot PSN10, '86 Ironman, '89 Trek 520, '96 Steelman, '96 Torelli CX, '97 Friday Two'sDay, '02 CoMo Speedster, '09 Giant Reign, '10 Canfield, '13 Turner DHR, '16 Chase BMX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 51 Posts
Foundation Training! This program has improved my quality of life beyond what I could have ever thought was possible. NOT affiliated with them in any way