Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Powder coaters you like - post them here!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Powder coaters you like - post them here!

Old 02-14-21, 03:54 PM
IsleRide

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Mark Rainey doesn't just do powder coating. He's a bike guy, ex-mechanic, so you can send him a whole bike, he can strip it down, powder coat, and rebuild it. He's also knows how to use a torch, so if you want some bottle or shifter bosses added, even cantilevers, he can do your frame mods prior to powder coating all in one swell foop. Mark is the face of Groody Brothers, right smack dab in the middle of the country, so if you don't have anybody local and need to ship a frame in the contiguous USA, you're probably not a huge shipping cost away. I've had two frames done at Groody Brothers, and I'll send them more. Both of the frames were decaled and clear coated, one of them was a two color job. Mark nailed them both.

Groody Brothers
https://groodybros.com/

decals, two tone, lug lining, clear coat
Is this the original chrome? On their website they say that the original chrome may be lost. I have a '73 Super Course with decent chrome I'd like to have refinished.
Old 02-14-21, 04:08 PM
1 Lugnut

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Colnago Super, Mondia Super, Mondia Special, Mondia Prestige (for sale 55cm),Titan Star, Titan Exklusiv, Windsor

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 54 Posts
‘West Coast Powder Coatings’ in South San Francisco, CA.

No pic’s, but highly recommended & reliable.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/west-coast-...-san-francisco

(650) 871-0400

Last edited by 1 Lugnut; 02-15-21 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Correct Link...
Old 02-14-21, 04:37 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Retro Cruiser Bicycles banana bikes beach cruisers bicycle retro vintage kustom custom

The phone number listed on the site is a Maryland cell number, but the shop is located near Lincoln, Delaware. That number is the best way to contact Fred, the owner. I have had a couple of bikes done there. Also, got good feedback from a couple of people that I recommended RCB to.
Old 02-14-21, 04:57 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by IsleRide
Is this the original chrome? On their website they say that the original chrome may be lost. I have a '73 Super Course with decent chrome I'd like to have refinished.
Yep, original chrome. vintage Raleigh chrome isn't great, but sometimes you get lucky. If you like the chrome, it's easy to mask by a powder coater. They use a high temp, silicon adhesive based tape that can withstand the temperatures that powder coaters use to fuse the powder to the metal.
Old 02-14-21, 05:26 PM
IsleRide

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 49 Posts
Yep, original chrome. vintage Raleigh chrome isn't great, but sometimes you get lucky. If you like the chrome, it's easy to mask by a powder coater. They use a high temp, silicon adhesive based tape that can withstand the temperatures that powder coaters use to fuse the powder to the metal.
That Grand Sport is beautiful! I used to have one and prefer it to the Super Course but a friend gave me the SC over twenty years ago. (and it's the right size, 25-1/2") I'm likely going to make it a 3 speed. Could just get a generic refinish but would love to get the full treatment with proper color and decals.

Thanks.
Old 02-14-21, 05:27 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked 2,264 Times in 1,268 Posts
I am getting ready to send out a Motobecane to a guy down here in Ventura County. I will update when it comes back. I’m not too fussy withvt this one, my $20 bike! I was going to do it myself with a custom rattle can but I don’t have time right now.
Old 02-14-21, 06:37 PM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 191 Posts
Mark Rainey doesn't just do powder coating. He's a bike guy, ex-mechanic, so you can send him a whole bike, he can strip it down, powder coat, and rebuild it. He's also knows how to use a torch, so if you want some bottle or shifter bosses added, even cantilevers, he can do your frame mods prior to powder coating all in one swell foop. Mark is the face of Groody Brothers, right smack dab in the middle of the country, so if you don't have anybody local and need to ship a frame in the contiguous USA, you're probably not a huge shipping cost away. I've had two frames done at Groody Brothers, and I'll send them more. Both of the frames were decaled and clear coated, one of them was a two color job. Mark nailed them both.

Groody Brothers
https://groodybros.com/

decals, two tone, lug lining, clear coat

decals, lug lining, clear coat

Pic courtesy of Andy Kaylor - decals, two tone paint job, clear coat
Mark is a personal friend of mine, he has moved the business to Topeka and has bought a lot of new equipment in doing so. He is a huge bike nut too, loves classic bikes, and I would easily recommend him as well as I have had two bikes done by him.
Old 02-14-21, 06:40 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by mechanicmatt
Mark is a personal friend of mine, he has moved the business to Topeka and has bought a lot of new equipment in doing so. He is a huge bike nut too, loves classic bikes, and I would easily recommend him as well as I have had two bikes done by him.
Thanks, verified that he's now in Topeka, updated location in the list.
Old 02-14-21, 06:48 PM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 191 Posts
I know a guy

Alan Wanta in Clearwater Florida is fantastic, however I have not had work done by him. However I did purchase a decal set he made for me for my Bruce Gordon Chinook. He's great, although he may just be wetspray.

Could use some powder coaters in the Southeast, Texas, SoCal...anybody?

Last edited by mechanicmatt; 02-14-21 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-14-21, 07:05 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by mechanicmatt
Alan Wanta in Clearwater Florida is fantastic, however I have not had work done by him. However I did purchase a decal set he made for me for my Bruce Gordon Chinook. He's great, although he may just be wetspray.
Thanks, I emailed him to see if he powder coats.. Regardless, seeing his work online I think I'll consider him for my next wetspray job!
Old 02-14-21, 07:06 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Kabuki12
I am getting ready to send out a Motobecane to a guy down here in Ventura County. I will update when it comes back. I’m not too fussy withvt this one, my $20 bike! I was going to do it myself with a custom rattle can but I don’t have time right now.
Please do, need representation from SoCal!
Old 02-14-21, 07:22 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Reorganized the first post with powdercoaters by state rather than alphabetically, found a cool online tool to indicate which states have a bicycle powder coater listed so we can see where we have holes in our data easily. Some larger states should have listings further broken down (SoCal vs NorCal as an example), the idea is to post powdercoaters that aren't too far away from most of our C&V forum members. The southeast US isn't represented as of the time I'm typing this, for example.
Old 02-14-21, 08:18 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
I am just outside Philadelphia PA have used these folks a number of times with good results:

https://boneheadperformance.com/

They used to do work for Bilenky but I am not sure if they still do or not.
Likes For fender1:
Old 02-15-21, 10:14 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by 1 Lugnut
‘West Coast Powder Coatings’ in South San Francisco, CA.

No pic’s, but highly recommended & reliable.

https://westcoastpowdercoating.com/
Originally Posted by delbiker1
Retro Cruiser Bicycles banana bikes beach cruisers bicycle retro vintage kustom custom

The phone number listed on the site is a Maryland cell number, but the shop is located near Lincoln, Delaware. That number is the best way to contact Fred, the owner. I have had a couple of bikes done there. Also, got good feedback from a couple of people that I recommended RCB to.
Originally Posted by fender1
I am just outside Philadelphia PA have used these folks a number of times with good results:

https://boneheadperformance.com/

They used to do work for Bilenky but I am not sure if they still do or not.
All added, thanks!
Old 02-15-21, 06:17 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1296 Post(s)
Liked 1,885 Times in 1,132 Posts
Mr. Dilberteur,
This season I was able to procure a Masi F&F that had damage to the chromed fork. I asked around and I think I am going to send mine out to the recommended chrome shop from my friends at Pro Kote. They say it uses the old school methods which are likely close to EPA violations but the best way to do it. They have quoted prices between $125 and $ 200 but for a good chrome plating these days I think that is reasonable. When it is done I will post pictures, but I am looking forward to having this done. Is this something that can be added to the list of suppliers for bike coverings? Smiles, MH

Last edited by Mad Honk; 05-18-21 at 05:10 PM.
Old 02-15-21, 06:25 PM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 467 Times in 215 Posts
Just to get us on the map.

The only place on island (Oahu) here that does PC bicycle frames is Mekala Powdercoat & Patio Mfg in Kapolei.

Last I checked, it was $100 for frame a fork, including a bead blast prep and a single color. I've seen the work and it's decent but they mostly do patio furniture and gates...so YMMV.

Mekala Powdercoat & Patio Mfg - Powdercoating & Patio Furniture Hawaii
Old 02-15-21, 08:06 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Mad Honk
Mr. Dliberteur,
This season I was able to procure a Masi F&F that had damage to the chromed fork. I asked around and I think I am going to send mine out to the recommended chrome shop from my friends at Pro Kote. They say it uses the old school methods which are likely close to EPA violations but the best way to do it. They have quoted prices between $125 and $ 200 but for a good chrome plating these days I think that is reasonable. When it is done I will post pictures, but I am looking forward to having this done. Is this something that can be added to the list of suppliers for bike coverings? Smiles, MH
Definitely! Chrome platers are getting harder and harder to find.
Old 02-16-21, 10:07 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by billytwosheds
Just to get us on the map.

The only place on island (Oahu) here that does PC bicycle frames is Mekala Powdercoat & Patio Mfg in Kapolei.

Last I checked, it was $100 for frame a fork, including a bead blast prep and a single color. I've seen the work and it's decent but they mostly do patio furniture and gates...so YMMV.

Mekala Powdercoat & Patio Mfg - Powdercoating & Patio Furniture Hawaii
Oahu now on the map!
Old 02-17-21, 07:18 PM
bdooner

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
I highly recommend Powdercoatit in Santa Cruz. Jeremy did a great job on a lugged Zinn frame for me. Powdercoats for Rock Lobster and some other local builders.

Powder Coat It | We Specialize in High Quality Powder Coated Finishes
Old 02-18-21, 12:25 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by bdooner
I highly recommend Powdercoatit in Santa Cruz. Jeremy did a great job on a lugged Zinn frame for me. Powdercoats for Rock Lobster and some other local builders.

Powder Coat It | We Specialize in High Quality Powder Coated Finishes
Done.

Where's the SoCal representation? LA and San Diego County powder coaters would round out the Cali section nicely.
Old 02-18-21, 05:20 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Definitely! Chrome platers are getting harder and harder to find.
So true. Do we want a separate such thread for chrome players, map and all?

Or or roll those few providers into this thread?
Old 02-18-21, 07:16 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 210 Posts
There's a guy in Santa Maria, CA, who advertises on the Santa Barbara CL for chrome plating bike parts. I've never used him nor heard of anyone who has, so I can't vouch for him.

"Got a bike that has rust? Well how about re-chroming those parts.
Handle bars seats, racks, sprockets, forks etc. We strip and triple plate
those parts. Just remove and have ready. Free pickup and delivery.
In business over twenty years. Turn around time approx 10 to 15 days.
Reasonable prices.
Call or Text me 805-264-6771"
Old 02-18-21, 08:40 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Prowler
So true. Do we want a separate such thread for chrome players, map and all?

Or or roll those few providers into this thread?
Chrome, hmm, lemmee think about if we should have a separate thread.

Originally Posted by mhespenheide
There's a guy in Santa Maria, CA, who advertises on the Santa Barbara CL for chrome plating bike parts. I've never used him nor heard of anyone who has, so I can't vouch for him.

"Got a bike that has rust? Well how about re-chroming those parts.
Handle bars seats, racks, sprockets, forks etc. We strip and triple plate
those parts. Just remove and have ready. Free pickup and delivery.
In business over twenty years. Turn around time approx 10 to 15 days.
Reasonable prices.
Call or Text me 805-264-6771"
Damn, I plan on moving down to the area in a couple of years, hope he's still around then!
Old 02-19-21, 04:40 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3854 Post(s)
Liked 6,448 Times in 3,188 Posts
Seattle Powder Coat - Seattle, WA
Website today quotes $275 for the most basic one color job on a steel frameset. That puts me out of the market. And it seems like that's about $100 more than it was a year ago.
Old 02-19-21, 06:47 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Website today quotes $275 for the most basic one color job on a steel frameset. That puts me out of the market. And it seems like that's about $100 more than it was a year ago.
Damn, that's a lot. I keep seeing all these places that do a cheap 'blast and spray in other parts of the country, but everyplace I've heard of in the Puget Sound has been more than $250.

I've always kinda wanted to have a frame powdercoated, partially because everything I own already had a layer of beausage when I got it and partly I'd love to have a bike with minimal-to-zero logos on it. But the cheapskate in me wouldn 't ever pay more than $100.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.