Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Are e-Bikes/Trikes Considered "Motor Vehicles?"

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Are e-Bikes/Trikes Considered "Motor Vehicles?"

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-22, 02:20 PM
Jan Feetz
de oranje

Bikes: ItalVega, Guerciotti SLX, Litespeed T1, Oma Fiets

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
In the above example, those are teenagers first who just happened to be riding bicycles. They'd do the same on those stupid electric scooters or skateboards. Has nothing to do with the type of vehicle; it's irresponsible teen behavior. I think it's really important to not define "all cyclists" by the behavior of a small group. That would be like defining all drivers by the behavior of the ones who text, drink, speed. The reality is that most cyclists and drivers are not out causing mayhem.
Yup, I hear ya on that one. However, to "non cyclists" those guys stick out like a sore thumb......and just the nature of an Ebike can make it more dangerous
Old 07-26-22, 04:01 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by Jan Feetz
Yup, I hear ya on that one. However, to "non cyclists" those guys stick out like a sore thumb......and just the nature of an Ebike can make it more dangerous
When i see stories like this I just think thank god they weren't driving a car!
Old 07-27-22, 10:17 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Banning bike with an electric motor is just plain stupid. Look at the safety factor of getting them off heavily used streets.
Old 07-27-22, 03:44 PM
Jan Feetz
de oranje

Bikes: ItalVega, Guerciotti SLX, Litespeed T1, Oma Fiets

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Banning bike with an electric motor is just plain stupid. Look at the safety factor of getting them off heavily used streets.
Banning a bike with a motor is stupid. Banning the persons riding them and where it can have access to, well,pretty sure thats coming....
Old 08-04-22, 09:09 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Bikes and pedestrians are a bad mix. In the 1970's the city of Palo Alto decided to ban cyclists from the streets and they had to ride on the sidewalks. Quite a few nasty collisions as pedestrians would walk out to the sidewalk and not expect a cyclist on the same ground. We live in cities that were designed to maximimze profits for the auto makers and the real estate developers and road builders and not for the benefit of the people living in them. So much nicer in major European cities where cars are banned from many streets or allowed to be used only for delivery trucks at nigtht.

Traffic accidents are up 15% as a result of inattentive drivers according to the police reports and we have too many people who think that they can multi-task and have their cup of coffee and eat their bagel or hamburger and talk on their cell phone and drive all at the same time. Bad traffic planning and road engineering is also a major problem that has gotten worse over the years. Bike lanes and bike paths are band-aid solutions as are speed limits for bicyclists when they are forced to share the road with pedestrians and people with baby strollers and pets and kids off leash. There is a general sense of entitlement and selfishness with a profound lack of consideration of everyone else out on the streets and it is very much an American problem. Americans do not like to share.