Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Compression padded shorts?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 06-22-22, 04:32 PM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts

Would like to hear about anybody that has found compression padded shorts that work but aren't priced on the moon? I am asking a lot but I am reasonable as to the price but I have a padded bib that rides up and hurts worse than when I ride without them. Just want something that works but doesn't want to spend more money on something that doesn't work. Feel free to ask more questions as I do not know what I do not know.
Thanks, Frank.
Old 06-22-22, 05:44 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked 1,802 Times in 1,037 Posts
back in the day I found most bike shorts and similar too 'flimsy' for me - material was too thin ; not enough support and padding too thin

eventually I did find some 8 panel (?) shorts sold by Nashbar and Performance that were a step up (compared to 4 and 6 panel shorts) ... material thicker and much better pad

this was a long time ago

more recently - wear padded MTB cargo shorts ... found them on eBay (at significantly reduced price) ... I believe one pair is REI - the other Endura (Endura Humvee ?)
Likes For t2p:
Old 06-22-22, 05:56 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
When you say "compression shorts" do you mean shorts that are specifically meant to provide compression, or just you know, regular bike shorts? Also, what do mean by "not priced to the moon"? Do you have a dollar range in mind?
Old 06-22-22, 09:34 PM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Originally Posted by caloso
When you say "compression shorts" do you mean shorts that are specifically meant to provide compression, or just you know, regular bike shorts? Also, what do mean by "not priced to the moon"? Do you have a dollar range in mind?
Shorts that have padding and are stretch. Like a bib but shorts with some, I copied this from a posting on Amazon, "anti skid strip prevents shorts from bunching and rolling up while long distance riding". The ones and there are many, for sale on Amazon have very mixed reviews. I want shorts I can wear under my riding shorts that keep my man parts in place and have a chamois for longer rides. I have regular compression shorts that do not have the "anti slip" strip on the ends of the legs to keep them from riding up.
I don't mind [aying $50.00 or so if they are worth it. The bibs I have are not good and certainly not worth the money.
Hope this helps and if you need more information just ask.
Thanks, Frank.
Likes For Helderberg:
Old 06-23-22, 04:08 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,277 Times in 7,225 Posts
If your bibs are not keeping your man parts in place it sounds like they are ill-fitting. Pony up for a quality pair, such as Pearl Izumi. And adding another layer of fabric by wearing something under shorts/bibs could be asking for chafing trouble.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-23-22, 04:48 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 1,450 Times in 702 Posts
I'm thin (and frugal), here's my experience with less expensive padded stuff.
Hikenture brand cycling shorts fit my skinny legs and feel great on the saddle. On my second pair.
Przewalski bibs also have excellent padding but are cut for a bigger person. Gave them away to a linebacker sized cycling buddy. He's a Pearl Izumi guy and he likes 'em.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 06-23-22, 04:51 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
I have a few padded liner shorts that work pretty well. One from Endura and Funkier. The Funkier stay in place really well. I also have a couple from the old Performance Bike website. The problem that I have found with the liners is not lack of support, rather the leg material riding up into the crotch. Not a good thing. Cycling pants are kind of like saddles, very individual fittings, takes some trial and error to get a product that is comfortable. Cannot overstate the importance of proper fit. I definitely moved to a higher cost of bibs, well worth it, for me.

I only use the liners in place of cycling shorts when out for casual and errand type rides.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 06-23-22, 07:28 AM
Helderberg

Originally Posted by indyfabz
If your bibs are not keeping your man parts in place it sounds like they are ill-fitting. Pony up for a quality pair, such as Pearl Izumi. And adding another layer of fabric by wearing something under shorts/bibs could be asking for chafing trouble.
This is the reason for my post as the bib I bought is Pearl Izumi. Just frustrated and wanted to get some other ideas. Not discounting what you have posted just frustrated with my damn body. I have some oddities with my skeletal structure that I believe are the basis for my issues.
Thank you for your post and I guess I will continue to search.
Frank.
Old 06-23-22, 07:29 AM
Helderberg

Thank you all for your input. I think I am doomed to trial and error to find something that works.
Thanks all again, Frank.
Old 06-23-22, 08:47 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I do better with regular padded shorts versus bibs. I’ve experienced similar issues as you have with bibs. The key to bibs is getting the correct size and model for the tension on the straps which can be trial and error.

I’ve had a lot of luck with Pearl Izumi, Giordana and Hincapie shorts. You might try the cheaper Pearl Izumi shorts (non bib)???
Old 06-25-22, 03:09 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
Voler and Boure do well for me, but I'm short and overweight. Since there are so many variations of bodies, why would you think you would not have to do a trial and error search?
Likes For philbob57:
Old 06-27-22, 01:14 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Compression and bike shorts or bibs is not really two terms that go together, IMO.

I don't want my muscles compressed by my shorts. I just want the fabric to be just snug enough to move with my legs so that the fabric doesn't rub my skin.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 06-27-22, 01:27 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 1,594 Times in 1,020 Posts
I have found the compression more important than the padding...

For Example: Compression socks are a pain to put on... But once on... Dam...
Old 06-27-22, 01:31 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Compression and bike shorts or bibs is not really two terms that go together, IMO.

I don't want my muscles compressed by my shorts. I just want the fabric to be just snug enough to move with my legs so that the fabric doesn't rub my skin.
Tell that to Assos.

My Mille GTO C2 bibs with the ossidia fabric is compressive by design.

The KuKu penthouse isn't as luxurious for the big bird as the predecessor Assos bibs but they are also $25 cheaper.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 06-27-22, 11:56 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,435 Times in 1,737 Posts
For decent bibs for not a lot of money, some folks swear by these:

https://theblackbibs.com/

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 06-29-22, 08:42 AM
Fendertele

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 28 Posts
I’ve found comfort with:
LG gel. Less than $50 REI.
Przwalski bib from Amazon.
Old 06-29-22, 11:57 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 380 Posts
It's hit and miss. I have worn shorts from multiple makers from economy level to stupidly expensive. Thicker padding often as not is less comfortable than thin padding, and you need to try a few different brands and designs to find what works best for you. If and when you find the "magic" shorts, buy as many as they have, because you can bet your bottom dollar that the'll be replaced with a newer and less comfortable version before they wear out. The most comfortable shorts I ever wore were Assos Sportsline with genuine chamois padding. These cost less than half as much as the Prosline, but were twice as comfortable.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 07-01-22, 01:22 AM
Dr_UNIX

Bikes: Stevens Super Prestige CX, 2005 Bianchi Cross Concept, 2000 Breezer Venturi, Bianchi's: Project 7 (&5 &3), 2005 & 2002 Volpe, 2007 San Jose, 1990 Boardwalk semi-mixte, 2005 Eros; 1996 Cannondale M300 A-frame, Schwinn 2010 Tourist

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
If and when you find the "magic" shorts, buy as many as they have, because you can bet your bottom dollar that the'll be replaced with a newer and less comfortable version before they wear out.
Amen! To that! I *love* Sugoi RS bibs before the 2020 season - with the new ultra wide(tall) "anti-slip" leg bands. I've used Suogi RS bibs for over 10 years and thought I'd always be able to buy new bibs when needed. Nope - as you say the manufacture will eventually F'up the design and you'll be SOL buying another pair that love.
Old 07-02-22, 09:17 AM
greatbasin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 65 Posts
I found the "Souke Sports Men's Cycling Underwear Shorts 4D Padded" work just as well as Pearl Izumi shorts that cost more than three times as much. Souke shorts are $25. Caveat is that I'm a 30" waist, which is unusual in Americans 50+, but maybe not among cyclists. Their size chart indicates 28" - 32" for size Medium. I have the PI also, and no preference between them.
Old 07-09-22, 02:33 PM
Helderberg

Originally Posted by terrymorse

Thank you. I have had advertisements for this popping up on my computer recently.
Frank.
Old 07-09-22, 02:34 PM
Helderberg

Originally Posted by terrymorse

Thank you. I have had advertisements for this popping up on my computer recently.
Frank.
Old 07-12-22, 10:03 AM
Frank72

Bikes: 2022 Ribble Endurance Disc Sport 2018 Trek Emonda Al4, 2012 Motobecane Heat Ti,

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 67 Posts
I have been using inexpensive Canari gel Bike shorts. I have 4 pairs. Dicks has them for about $50. But they can be had for less on sale. They are light and feel great. I also have a pair of their gel tights for cooler weather.
Link: https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...ProductSuggest
Likes For Frank72:
Old 07-12-22, 11:01 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 299 Posts
Add another person for Souke bib kit that I bought over the winter and started wearing this spring. Nice fit (as well as it can be when you try and get lycra over a less than nice body!) and the price was very reasonable. There's a youtube video of a guy (cyclist on a budget I think) who gives a very positive review of them so that's why I chose them. They also sell cycling shorts.

What impressed me for an online order is they wouldn't ship them until I provided them every measurement of my body.
Likes For gthomson:
Old 07-15-22, 10:54 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by Helderberg
Thank you all for your input. I think I am doomed to trial and error to find something that works.
Thanks all again, Frank.
Yes, I think that's true. Welcome to your own little corner of the prisonyard!

I've done decently well with medium and large racing shorts, Performance Ultra and Ultra II, and Bourre touring shorts, actually extremely similar to the Performance shorts.

I originally (35 years ago) would only buy 10-panel shorts because of better support and flexibility. My Ultras date back to that time (well, actually more like 20 years). My Bourre have fewer panels. When I ordered them I asked what happenned to the 10-panel designs? The answer (from Mr. Bourre) was that with the newer fabrics since those old days, he can give me the same performance and comfort with fewer panels. At the same time I found a simple short branded by Nashbar as pretty comfy, with kind of a felted pad, not real chamois or modern elastomer.

So far I haven't found a set of bibs that is a good fit, but Bourre has a personal fit program based on giving them your measurements. When I bought mine that program was just a few bucks more, because all their products are made based on orders received, even the stock catalog items. Price was about the same as for the top Performance shorts.

I have not tried any shorts by Pearl Izumi, though experienced (and more active than I am!) riders say you get what you pay for. I've heard good things about Sugoi, and the quality attributed to their being primarily a cycling company, not a fashion company. I've always been a big fan of Gore gloves and a really nice vest, but the LBS that sold their shorts is gone.
Likes For Road Fan: