Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

HPC Bikes: What do You Think?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-22, 10:29 PM
BROOKLINEBIKER

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

I'm new to e-Bikes and interested in finding a commuter-friendly year-round model that will hit 30 mph on pothole-strewn roads without me having to pump the pedals too hard and without falling apart or otherwise experiencing hardware failure in a cold locally rainy/snowy climate.

I found HPC bikes online and they look promising. Do any of you have experience with them? Is their build quality good? Do the components on the linked models below look reliable?
https://hpcbikes.com/collections/ele...lack-lightning
https://hpcbikes.com/collections/ele...ucts/recon-m-1
Likes For BROOKLINEBIKER:
Old 08-05-22, 12:09 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
Way overpriced IMO. The bike you referenced is about the quality of a Trek Marlin 7 (if that good) which has a sticker of about $1K. That means $3K for a 2000w direct drive system. Also, FME, a hardtail with rear hub motor is an excellent choice for smooth terrain, but murder on bumps. The weight of the rear wheel is like concrete hitting every bump. You need to test ride some different bikes in order to make a good decision, but probably can locate an OEM FS mid-drive for about the same amount of money if you buy carefully. Mr veganbikes will have a better suggestion, but I constructed a 33 - 35 mph bike with a $200 (now probably $250) direct drive kit and a $400 (now probably $500 for a quality one) 52V, 14 ah battery on a decent bike like the Trek I referenced that I already had, so the cost was less than $1,000.

Last edited by 2old; 08-05-22 at 12:18 AM.
Likes For 2old:
Old 08-05-22, 09:21 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
If you are really fixated on a top speed of 30+ mph then you are going to find that none of the major manufacturers will meet your needs. Most of them are using the class 1, 2, 3 system which allows for a top speed of 28mph and no throttle is permitted on those high-speed bikes. That puts you looking at the smaller manufacturers that ignore a number of rules, such as top speed and power.

With that in mind, I don't want to seem unwelcoming, but most here are obsessed with "legal" eBikes. However, the site Endless Sphere is much more focused on high-speed eBikes. I can assure you that, to get what you want, they are going to push you toward self builds.

Self-build actually makes a lot of sense for what you want. Many of the small builders that are "pushing the edge of legality" are probably not going to be able to provide long-term support anyways. As such it makes sense to really know your eBiks, a knowledge that can be aided by actually building your own.

To be legal, in most states, the bikes you were showing are pushing into the category of "motorized bicycles." We have a lot of people here at Bike Forums that like to pretend they are being cute, making up their own definitions for things like eBike, moped, motorized bicycle, and motorcycle. However, all of these words have different meanings and are defined in state law.

State law is an issue because that means that definitions that are true for me, or some other bike forum member, might not necessarily be true for you. You need to find out what the law says these devices are in your state. That said, the bikes you showed are not eBikes in Kansas. In this and many other states, they are motorized bicycles. Under that definition, they would need to pass inspection and be licensed. Further, I can assure you that, having had conversations with the person that does inspection in my state region, those would never pass inspection.

To sum all this up, if you really want an "outlaw" eBike, you are better off building your own and then just be careful about how you ride, both because you are probably operating illegally and because most bicycles were never built for continual usage at those high speeds.
Likes For Robert C:
Old 08-05-22, 12:32 PM
2old

I decommissioned mine because 1) I didn't want to become a hood ornament, a real possibility in fruity, nutty socal and 2) I didn't want to either license and insure it or ride with the thought that an accident could leave me vulnerable to an expensive lawsuit. Now, I ride legal bikes off road.
Likes For 2old:
Old 08-06-22, 07:14 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Nope nope nope! It is a low end bike with cheap parts and a huge price tag. $3700+ for that is a hefty no thank you. If I want something going that fast I want an actual proper motorcycle not some home-brew kit bike with cheap parts on it.

I can get a Honda Grom for less and that seems like a better quality thing then whatever that is.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 08-07-22, 09:22 AM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
This company is putting out an illegal e bike without saying it cannot be ridden on the road. It's no surprise then that the quoted speed and milage is also a pipe dream. The bike is likely to develop a shimmy some where's above 30 mph and will get less than half the advertised range. This bike is a gravel pavement only bike, not a bike for rough roads. The company is the perfect magnet for someone that just lost their driving privileges for a DUI. Bicycles are not safe at motorcycle speeds.
Likes For KPREN:
Old 08-07-22, 05:47 PM
BROOKLINEBIKER

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by KPREN
This company is putting out an illegal e bike without saying it cannot be ridden on the road. It's no surprise then that the quoted speed and milage is also a pipe dream. The bike is likely to develop a shimmy some where's above 30 mph and will get less than half the advertised range. This bike is a gravel pavement only bike, not a bike for rough roads. The company is the perfect magnet for someone that just lost their driving privileges for a DUI. Bicycles are not safe at motorcycle speeds.
It sounds like you believe the bike will at least hit 30 mph (my desired speed) reliably yes?
Old 08-07-22, 07:38 PM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by BROOKLINEBIKER
It sounds like you believe the bike will at least hit 30 mph (my desired speed) reliably yes?
You have two questions here:
at least hit 30 mph
Probably, not certain, but probably

reliably
Probably not.

You really are looking at an expensive, yet bottom of barrel, bike.

If you really are obsessed with an off-the-shelf bike capable of reliable operation at 30mph and above you should first note that everyone is telling you to steer clear of the bikes you linked to. I hesitate to use the words "overpriced" and "garbage" but if I were giving advice to a friend, those words may be used.

If you really want to operate an unlicensed motorized bicycle, note my use of the word "motorized bicycle" instead of eBike. That is because in most places, that is what the category of the vehicle you are asking about will fall into. I would suggest that you look into Juiced Bikes. Both the Hyper Scorpion and the Hyper Scrambler will probably do what you want, cost less, and last longer. Here is a review of the Hyper Scrambler.

That said, I still do not recommend an unlicensed motorized bicycle instead of a legal eBike.

Last edited by Robert C; 08-07-22 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-07-22, 08:58 PM
BROOKLINEBIKER

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert C
You have two questions here:

Probably, not certain, but probably

Probably not.

You really are looking at an expensive, yet bottom of barrel, bike.

If you really are obsessed with an off-the-shelf bike capable of reliable operation at 30mph and above you should first note that everyone is telling you to steer clear of the bikes you linked to. I hesitate to use the words "overpriced" and "garbage" but if I were giving advice to a friend, those words may be used.

If you really want to operate an unlicensed motorized bicycle, note my use of the word "motorized bicycle" instead of eBike. That is because in most places, that is what the category of the vehicle you are asking about will fall into. I would suggest that you look into Juiced Bikes. Both the Hyper Scorpion and the Hyper Scrambler will probably do what you want, cost less, and last longer. Here is a review of the Hyper Scrambler.

That said, I still do not recommend an unlicensed motorized bicycle instead of a legal eBike.
Thanks, I'll check out Juiced Hyper bikes.
Old 08-08-22, 09:38 AM
2old

I'm not recommending this, but Onyx RCR for about $4,500 probably goes 50 mph with an 84V system. There is an even less expensive step through bike.These are illegal in socal as bikes (maybe mopeds too) and maybe considered motorcycles (I'm not conversant where the line is, but think mopeds can't travel faster than 30 mph).

Last edited by 2old; 08-09-22 at 08:40 AM.
Old 08-08-22, 08:12 PM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by BROOKLINEBIKER
The bike will not hit 30 mph except briefly. The batteries quoted with the exception of the largest battery are not adequate to sustain that speed. The battery that is big enough would likely make the bike very susceptible to wobble and shimmy at those speeds it you hit a bump. Average bicycles are flimsy and not meant to go 30 mph on a consistent basis.
The world of drivers are not ready for people going 30 mph consistently on a bike. They will assume you are slow and try to pass you on a blind corner in a 25 mph zone when you are going 30. When they realize their mistake, they swerve back into your lane sending you swerving for the ditch with an entry at 30 mph if they don't kill you first. If you are at 15, you got a chance they can do it. I have quit going 20+ mph uphill with a short no passing zone and someone approaching from behind me. They will pass you every time.
Old 08-09-22, 01:30 PM
BROOKLINEBIKER

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by KPREN
The bike will not hit 30 mph except briefly. The batteries quoted with the exception of the largest battery are not adequate to sustain that speed. The battery that is big enough would likely make the bike very susceptible to wobble and shimmy at those speeds it you hit a bump. Average bicycles are flimsy and not meant to go 30 mph on a consistent basis.
That's discouraging. Thanks for the explanation.
Old 08-09-22, 06:07 PM
2old

If you really want 30+ and aren't concerned about legality the Onyx CTY2 for $4k or so (there are discount codes) achieved 48 mph in RunPlayBack's test (YouTube). I don't want an illegal bike, but would really like one of those. May need to check the piggy bank.
Old 08-12-22, 07:28 AM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
30mph+ and pot hole strewn streets is moped/motorcycle territory regarding hp, tires, brakes, suspension and drivetrain. Sure you can get an ebike to operate at that speed but the difference between averaging 15 mph with the capability of hitting 30mph briefly and averaging 30mph reliably is huge. Remember E=MVsquared? It takes at least four times the energy to go twice as fast and four times the energy to disspate in brakes or immovable objects in your way. I installed a bbshd on a bike which pretty much makes it a 1 1/2 hp scooter and as much fun as it is going 25 mph effortlessly (as the battery gets drained) it became obvious to me that riding in control still takes as much attention as if I was 40 yrs younger going that fast under my own power. There’s a reason motorcycles in the early 1900’s stopped looking like bicycles with motors added on once you get up a couple hp.
My $.02 is dial back your speed expectations or get a moped.
Likes For LeeG:
Old 08-12-22, 08:39 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 450 Posts
3500w, dual motor, single throttle, pedals, HUGE battery pack.. well capable of 30 mph: