Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

How do you get thin arms?

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

How do you get thin arms?

Old 08-16-22, 03:10 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2220 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,774 Posts
Trolling will give you fat arms.
Old 08-16-22, 04:11 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/training-...lume-poop.html
Old 08-16-22, 09:12 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
pics or it doesn't matter ...
I don't look quite like 19.6 BMI

Old 08-16-22, 09:32 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
Originally Posted by koala logs
I don't look quite like 19.6 BMI
you look well proportioned. nothing to worry about
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 08-17-22, 12:07 AM
koala logs
Banned.

You're right! I am just weight weenie when it comes to my body. At this point, I don't wish to lose any more weight except in the arms but might turn out to be a bad thing.
Likes For koala logs:
Old 08-17-22, 04:33 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
You're right! I am just weight weenie when it comes to my body. At this point, I don't wish to lose any more weight except in the arms but might turn out to be a bad thing.
after watching the end of my Dad's life, recently, I couldn't help but notice how thin his arms became. it was terrifying. it was also amazing how he retained his hand grip, right to the end. I'm grateful to have my muscle mass & I'm even more motivated to maintain it, as best I can, for the next 30 years, as I hope to make it to 95, as well
Old 08-17-22, 06:27 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 252 Posts
I agree. All you need is rest, exercise and proper nutrition. Personally, I would add a yoga routine to stay flexible. Other than that, the only thing to worry about is doing something stupid that will affect you physically because of an obsession. You are young, and healthy. Don't worry about what anyone else is doing or how you are performing compared to them. Just ride to have fun.
Old 08-17-22, 07:27 AM
koala logs
Banned.

after watching the end of my Dad's life, recently, I couldn't help but notice how thin his arms became. it was terrifying. it was also amazing how he retained his hand grip, right to the end. I'm grateful to have my muscle mass & I'm even more motivated to maintain it, as best I can, for the next 30 years, as I hope to make it to 95, as well
Sorry about your dad. Lucky to have to lived to 95!
Likes For koala logs:
Old 08-17-22, 08:04 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Originally Posted by RH Clark
I agree. All you need is rest, exercise and proper nutrition. Personally, I would add a yoga routine to stay flexible. Other than that, the only thing to worry about is doing something stupid that will affect you physically because of an obsession. You are young, and healthy. Don't worry about what anyone else is doing or how you are performing compared to them. Just ride to have fun.
I do those and stretching but not yoga. Things are going well. Don't really care how other riders are doing since I ride solo most of the time. Most of my pedaling time is spent indoors on the trainer. My biggest concern is managing energy efficiently on long rides over the mountains. That's why I like to lose a little bit more weight but not on my bike because losing weight on the bike is far too expensive!

I'm actually 40 years. Most of my kin don't live over 70 years of age so I only have 30 years left! We only have two who lived to an old age of 95 years old but they lived in a very nice place in the mountains. Only very few people in the world are fortunate to live like that.

Last edited by koala logs; 08-17-22 at 08:07 AM.
Old 08-17-22, 01:13 PM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 252 Posts
I do those and stretching but not yoga. Things are going well. Don't really care how other riders are doing since I ride solo most of the time. Most of my pedaling time is spent indoors on the trainer. My biggest concern is managing energy efficiently on long rides over the mountains. That's why I like to lose a little bit more weight but not on my bike because losing weight on the bike is far too expensive!

I'm actually 40 years. Most of my kin don't live over 70 years of age so I only have 30 years left! We only have two who lived to an old age of 95 years old but they lived in a very nice place in the mountains. Only very few people in the world are fortunate to live like that.
I'm 54 years old. My best advice about getting efficient in those mountains is to get out there and start climbing them. Your body will just automatically do the rest if you get good nutrition and enough rest. Exercise on the trainer would be way better than none, but I think trying to work out all the math about what will make you a better climber is borderline obsessive compulsive unless you compete for a living.

I may not want to live to be 90 unless I'm like some old martial arts master who can jump over a car in his 90's. I'm pretty fit and still quite agile but I feel the signs of old age. My wife's grandmother is 97 and still lives alone and cares for herself, but I still wouldn't want to live to be that old judging by her quality of life. From what I've seen, getting old may not be such a blessing. If you can go fast and painless, that's about as good as it gets.

Just in case you didn't know, I'm not a training expert in any way. I'm just an old guy who likes to ride bikes.

Last edited by RH Clark; 08-17-22 at 01:23 PM.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 08-17-22, 01:22 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 774 Posts
Not too sure about that. His nose is, well.....
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 08-17-22, 09:53 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Originally Posted by RH Clark
I'm 54 years old. My best advice about getting efficient in those mountains is to get out there and start climbing them. Your body will just automatically do the rest if you get good nutrition and enough rest. Exercise on the trainer would be way better than none, but I think trying to work out all the math about what will make you a better climber is borderline obsessive compulsive unless you compete for a living.

I may not want to live to be 90 unless I'm like some old martial arts master who can jump over a car in his 90's. I'm pretty fit and still quite agile but I feel the signs of old age. My wife's grandmother is 97 and still lives alone and cares for herself, but I still wouldn't want to live to be that old judging by her quality of life. From what I've seen, getting old may not be such a blessing. If you can go fast and painless, that's about as good as it gets.

Just in case you didn't know, I'm not a training expert in any way. I'm just an old guy who likes to ride bikes.
Yeah, I've thought about growing old. But I also have this nagging curiosity on "what lies beyond" so I don't put much value in living to a very old age. LarrySellerz probably knows a thing or two but we will not talk about it!

I get better quality training in the trainer. It takes me around 1 hour to get to the mountains riding through heavy city traffic in all that pollution. Certainly not healthy and waste of time to do it 5 days a week.

In the city, the longest climb nearby I can do at FTP is only 3 to 4 minutes long. I've managed to get pretty good approximation of the resistance I encounter in actual rides in the mountains in the trainer. It's only a dumb trainer but I'm improving each time I hit the road. I typically have two rest days a week. It could be one or none depending on how I feel or how hard my sessions were.

I've managed to find a great form and technique and trying to exploit it. I also find fun in challenging myself physically.