Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

When will they ever learn

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

When will they ever learn

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-22, 11:22 AM
trooper2899
trooper2899

Bikes: Cobbed up Giant MTN with street wheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"Many" (maybe more) , cyclists, (I'm close), are mechanically inept..........Ive been riding for 50 + years (some century rides too), I can do just the most minimal erergency repairs. Always have an Uber # in my cell phone, haven't had to use it yet.
Old 08-29-22, 11:55 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
If you had been riding bents, it would have made it into Penthouse Letters.
Dear Penthouse, I never imagined something like this would happen along the side of an urban MUP, but there I was. The buxom temptress, one third my age, had a flat tire and obviously no way to repair it. I immediately knew this when I saw her walking her $5000 bike. As I brought my tadpole trike to a halt and arose from my ergonomically superior reclined position, I noticed her breathing increase. My pulse quickened as well. I offered her my tools and pump. She swooned, I caught her spandex clad body as she fell into my liver spotted hands, and then one thing led to another...

Last edited by Broctoon; 09-03-22 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-29-22, 11:56 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8271 Post(s)
Liked 9,022 Times in 4,468 Posts
I lol'd.
Old 08-29-22, 12:03 PM
big john

I met up with a group for a ride. I knew some of them but not all. I noticed my front tire needed topping up. I usually do it at home but I guess I forgot. I noticed a woman had a floor pump and I asked her if I could borrow it. "Where is your pump?" she asked "At home" "Well, that was stupid". Damn, woman, why the 'tude? Ended up wrestling with the mini pump.
Later on the ride she had trouble shifting, or something and needed help. I wished I was the only one who could help her but another guy stepped in. "Where are your brains? Did you leave your brains at home and want to borrow mine? That was stupid!" I wanted to say all that to her but just got in part of it.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-29-22, 12:09 PM
big john

Getting back to the op, there are plenty of guys out there who are decent or even good riders and are totally inept mechanically. I know guys who can't change an inner tube to save their lives. It doesn't matter what they carry because someone has to help them every time. I've also helped strangers on the road who had no idea what to do, or even that they should be ready for a flat. Told them what to buy and to practice at home.

I fixed a chain for a guy and he said he didn't know they could be fixed.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-29-22, 12:25 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 690 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
If you’re going to assist another rider, you should be mindful of some potential pitfalls that are not always obvious. I swear the following story is 100% true.

A few years ago my wife and I were riding in Grand Teton National Park (one of the most beautiful places on Planet Earth; this is an objective fact). We had either just pulled into a parking lot or were about to leave, I don’t remember, but our bikes were on the car and we were wearing our riding clothes, so other folks could tell we were cyclists.

A group of three or four nice bike people approached us and asked if we had a pump they could borrow. They’d been using C02 bottles but ran out. A few of these people, including the one who needed some air, were young ladies and were quite very attractive. This honestly didn’t figure into my choice to help them; I would freely offer my pump to ugly people. Of course, I got the pump out of the car and let her use it, then asked if she needed anything else. She said, “no, thanks,” we talked briefly, and then we went our separate ways. End of story. Nothing that could go into a letter to Penthouse.

…Except as soon as they left, Mrs. Broctoon got a little irritated. She didn’t accuse me of allowing my eye to wander, but she openly complained that the girl was trying pretty hard to flirt. I didn’t see it. Maybe she batted her eye lashes and gave a cute smile, playing the damsel in distress a little. It’s not like anything could have come from it--she’s with friends, my wife is there, we’re outside in public. So now I guess I’m supposed to deny someone in need the use of my pump for 60 seconds, to avoid the appearance of responding to sexual advances? Maybe I should have said, “No, I’m sorry. I would like to help you, but you are too pretty. You will have to get air somewhere else.”

Edited to add: No one involved in this interaction was riding a recumbent or a trike. My wife and I were both on upright diamond frames, and so were the strangers we encountered. My father used to own a recumbent, and I rode it once or twice. I am neither proud nor ashamed of this fact.
That's an awesome story. Many years ago, a woman came on here and posted in the regional forum that she was blind and seeking pilots for her tandem. Her oversight was using the user name "Girl in Lace" and everybody questioned her authenticity and/or intentions. When she posted back insisting that she was real, I messaged her and ended up piloting a really nice Cannondale with disk brakes and Ultegra components with a competent and friendly stoker. She wanted nothing more than to ride her bike, and despite her name, she wore bib knickers and a jersey on every ride. Good thing my wife isn't the jealous type, though.
Old 08-29-22, 12:35 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10413 Post(s)
Liked 11,874 Times in 6,081 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
I rode bents for 10 years due to surgery that made uprights uncomfortable. I had low racers and really enjoyed the speed but I live in flat corn country so there isn’t much climbing.

Now, I’m just one of those misinformed upright riders that would be on a bent if I only knew better.
So, Big Bike got to you, eh?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-29-22, 12:38 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10413 Post(s)
Liked 11,874 Times in 6,081 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Getting back to the op, there are plenty of guys out there who are decent or even good riders and are totally inept mechanically. I know guys who can't change an inner tube to save their lives. It doesn't matter what they carry because someone has to help them every time. I've also helped strangers on the road who had no idea what to do, or even that they should be ready for a flat. Told them what to buy and to practice at home.

Back when I was riding with PenVelo, in the early 00s, I rode with a group led by the Simonetti brothers, Carlo and Luca. I flatted on a ride, and as soon as I stopped and reached for my bag, they practically snatched the spare tube out of my hand, whipped the wheel off, swapped out the tube, and pumped it up, all while I stood there somewhat dumfounded. It was like having a pit crew.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-29-22, 01:09 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Steamer
Just chiming in here to say Ryda is not representative of recumbent riders, in general. (Just in case anyone was tempted to think this.)

Since I am here, I will also say I am confused by the recumbent non-sequitur, as well.
Literally everybody else I've talked to IRL or online who is a recumbent rider has been perfectly reasonable about comparisons and hasn't ever suggested that I'm wrong for liking DF bikes.

I think recumbents are pretty cool machines that are perfectly useless for me because of a lower back injury.
Old 08-29-22, 02:08 PM
big john

Originally Posted by genejockey
Back when I was riding with PenVelo, in the early 00s, I rode with a group led by the Simonetti brothers, Carlo and Luca. I flatted on a ride, and as soon as I stopped and reached for my bag, they practically snatched the spare tube out of my hand, whipped the wheel off, swapped out the tube, and pumped it up, all while I stood there somewhat dumfounded. It was like having a pit crew.
I did some rides with a club called Adobo Velo and they had roving SAG vehicles. Same thing, if you got a flat they were on it. They also had great food and took hundreds of photos and posted them for free.
Old 08-29-22, 03:01 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26400 Post(s)
Liked 10,373 Times in 7,202 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
If you’re going to assist another rider, you should be mindful of some potential pitfalls that are not always obvious. I swear the following story is 100% true.

A few years ago my wife and I were riding in Grand Teton National Park (one of the most beautiful places on Planet Earth; this is an objective fact). We had either just pulled into a parking lot or were about to leave, I don’t remember, but our bikes were on the car and we were wearing our riding clothes, so other folks could tell we were cyclists.

A group of three or four nice bike people approached us and asked if we had a pump they could borrow. They’d been using C02 bottles but ran out. A few of these people, including the one who needed some air, were young ladies and were quite very attractive. This honestly didn’t figure into my choice to help them; I would freely offer my pump to ugly people. Of course, I got the pump out of the car and let her use it, then asked if she needed anything else. She said, “no, thanks,” we talked briefly, and then we went our separate ways. End of story. Nothing that could go into a letter to Penthouse.

…Except as soon as they left, Mrs. Broctoon got a little irritated. She didn’t accuse me of allowing my eye to wander, but she openly complained that the girl was trying pretty hard to flirt. I didn’t see it. Maybe she batted her eye lashes and gave a cute smile, playing the damsel in distress a little. It’s not like anything could have come from it--she’s with friends, my wife is there, we’re outside in public. So now I guess I’m supposed to deny someone in need the use of my pump for 60 seconds, to avoid the appearance of responding to sexual advances? Maybe I should have said, “No, I’m sorry. I would like to help you, but you are too pretty. You will have to get air somewhere else.”

Edited to add: No one involved in this interaction was riding a recumbent or a trike. My wife and I were both on upright diamond frames, and so were the strangers we encountered. My father used to own a recumbent, and I rode it once or twice. I am neither proud nor ashamed of this fact.
...."I only let her 'use' my pump, dear. It meant absolutely nothing to me....just some random, impersonal pumping."
Old 08-29-22, 04:35 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Will the truly open minded cyclists adopt the next big thing ?

Old 08-29-22, 05:35 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,619 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
So, Big Bike got to you, eh?
Evidently. For the record, I do ride > $5k bikes, even my trikes are over that, and I do carry tubes and tools.

Old 08-29-22, 05:56 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Will the truly open minded cyclists adopt the next big thing ?

...here is the riding position devised with the aid of advanced AI design software, for optimal biking. No butt pain, no sore neck, and ready for a human powered speed record.

Old 08-29-22, 06:02 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...here is the riding position devised with the aid of advanced AI design software, for optimal biking. No butt pain, no sore neck, and ready for a human powered speed record.

About time someone redesigned the motor.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-02-22, 10:52 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
About time someone redesigned the motor.
Looks like he is trying to pull that tiny little DF seat out off his ------------------------------
Old 09-02-22, 12:44 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by rydabent
Looks like he is trying to pull that tiny little DF seat out off his ------------------------------

Speaking of pulling things out of your butt....

Did you need me to explain the joke?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-02-22, 02:07 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
...and this is your bike on drugs. Any questions?
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 09-04-22, 07:13 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by big john

Since I do carry a lot of tools and supplies, and I know how to use them, I have stopped to help I dont know how many riders. But in this case, I didnt have the right sized tube, and he said the hole in to tube was too large for a patch.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 09-04-22, 07:24 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked 1,651 Times in 778 Posts
^^^talk abouit full kit.
I'm not sure those socks are UCI legal.
Old 09-06-22, 08:50 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Since I do carry a lot of tools and supplies, and I know how to use them, I have stopped to help I dont know how many riders. But in this case, I didnt have the right sized tube, and he said the hole in to tube was too large for a patch.
Who are you, and what did you do with the real Rydabent?
Likes For Reflector Guy: