Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

New Air Mattress Neded!!!

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 09-04-22, 09:38 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts

Currently on tour and our double Exped mattress failed. So we are fortunate that the town here in Denmark has a few outdoor shops. So looking for a recommendation. They have NeoAir but I have heard mixed reviews.
So advice would be great as we head to the shops tomorrow!
Thanks!!!
Old 09-04-22, 10:33 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3220 Post(s)
Liked 2,042 Times in 1,169 Posts
Nemo Tensor, insulated or not your preference for conditions. Very comfortable, I use the wide version, its 25", easy to inflate with a pump sack. Packs into a 9.5" x 3" size.
Old 09-05-22, 04:39 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
I have been happy with my neoair. I had an issue with my first one when they very first came out, but they replaced it free of charge out of warranty. That was after a baffle issue due to sleeping directly on it with bare skin. Body oils, sunscreen, and mosquito repellant were the likely culprits. It did not fail suddenly so it never let me down on tour. I have heard of others having the same problem and getting a free replacement well out of warranty period, but my current one has held up for a very long tome without issue since I stopped sleeping on it with bare skin directly on it.

In what way did it fail? Are you sure you can fix it? Maybe exped would send you a new pad under warranty or even out of warranty (it doesn't hurt to ask).

The other complaint was that it can be noisy, but again I found that to be mostly an issue when I slept directly on it with bare skin. When I started either wearing a tech tee or laying on top of my sleeping bag, my tentmates report that it wasn't a problem.

If hesitant about the neoair do you have any other choices there? Can you get a rush order? Get a cheap foam pad to hold you until you can get what you want? Buy a pad you don't like to get you through the tour and sell it at a loss when you get home?
Old 09-06-22, 09:46 AM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
My only experience is with a Sea to Summit single, but I give it top marks. It is much more comfortable than a foam padded packs up (with care) into about 350 mL. that's a 12 oz beer can for non metricators.
Likes For Pratt:
Old 09-06-22, 10:11 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 633 Times in 433 Posts
In my experience the more ultralight the pad, the easier it punctures. But patching punctures has never been a problem for me. I have multiple patches on each of my pads and have never had a patch fail. One pad I've had a patch on for almost 10 years and it is still fine. I use the "glue dot" patch from Thermarest, topped by a regular sticker patch to cover the glue dot's stickiness. I won't be going back to the old style foam liner pads. They are simply too bulky.
Likes For Yan:
Old 09-06-22, 10:24 AM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
Interesting. Same thing happened to me (Neo Air xLite) -- not a puncture but more and more busted baffles. I've purchased a Z-Lite on tour. Perhaps a bit thin, takes significant amount of space on the rear rack, makes you look like a dork (or a seasoned trekker depending on the audience). Sets and stores in seconds, practically indestructible, a fraction of the price of light inflatables, sets you apart from the crowd. No going back for me.
Old 09-06-22, 11:45 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
We ended up buying 2 Exped mattresses. They have an integrated pump but we used the inflation bags it is quicker.
We are back on the road very close to the North Sea in Denmark.
Old 09-06-22, 08:44 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
My only experience is with a Sea to Summit single, but I give it top marks. It is much more comfortable than a foam padded packs up (with care) into about 350 mL. that's a 12 oz beer can for non metricators.
I have been using their Comfort Lite Insulated for years. My favorite mattress ever.
Old 09-07-22, 01:13 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
Been happy with this one

My touring buddy uses and recommended this. I’ve been impressed. Not that light but durable and light enough for me.

Trekology UL Sleeping Pad,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N4KK854...p_mob_ap_share