Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Contemplating Going Wider

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 09-20-22, 07:02 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts

I have a bike with Mavic Open Pros that have space all around the front tire (between the tire and the frame/fork/caliper brake using hex wrenches) of 4mm and 3mm for the rear using 28mm GP5000s. I'm thinking of getting 30mm GP5000 for the front since theoretically it would add 1mm per side (not sure about the top of the tire). I'm hesitant to try it with the rear as I've read its a good idea to have at least 2mm and not sure if the 1mm per side would truly leave me with that room.

My questions are:
1) Is it ok to use 30mm with Open Pros? Their website recommends 19-28mm whereas the rims themselves show 23-32mm - see pic below)
2) Do you think I would end up with the recommended 2mm clearance with both the front and rear tires?

Thanks

Likes For Symox:
Old 09-20-22, 08:01 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
I would not be comfortable with only 1-2mm of clearance, esp with the rear -- since the wheel might flex slightly under power. And if you hit a pothole and knock the rim even slightly out-of-true, you're making the 'call of shame' to get home.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-20-22, 08:16 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2222 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,779 Posts
As long as you can get a credit card in between the tire and the chain stay, you are golden. If you are worried, get those Peaty's valve caps that double as spoke wrenches.
Old 09-20-22, 08:45 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4789 Post(s)
Liked 3,915 Times in 2,546 Posts
I've used bigger than 32c with Open Pros. I've run closer than 2mm but I carry a spoke wrench when I do and I've built a few wheels. I've also run bigger tires in front for situations exactly like yours. Panaracer Paselas, 38 in front and 35 in back on Open Pros. Worked just fine on both pavement and gravel. (A little heavy and slow on pavement but Paselas never were a "fast" tire, just a good all-arounder for its width.)

A consideration - your weight and riding style. I am relatively light and easy on wheels. (155, tall and skinny.) If you weigh more or are a wheel thrasher, run narrower tires with more pressure to 1) have more margin on clearance so the tires clear with less than perfectly straight rims and 2) more pressure to save rims from bottoming out damage and pinch flats (if you are running tubes).
Old 09-20-22, 09:19 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

I'm 155lbs and like to ride hills a lot.

The more I think about it, I'm not sure I want to sacrifice clearance especially on the rear. I guess I'll just stick with 28mm, its a more standard size anyway.
Old 10-15-22, 11:45 PM
Symox

new fork even more clearance

I had to replace the fork and the front again has 4mm clearance, but it seems to have more margin. I might try 30mm only on the front when it comes time to replace the 28mm rear (I'll swap the 28mm front for the rear and put the 30mm on the front).

Thoughts?
Old 10-16-22, 07:03 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20803 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Manufacturers generally recommend 4mm of space on all sides to accommodate for wheel flex, debris clearance, etc. I personally wouldn't bother to push that margin of error just to move to a 30mm from a 28mm - it's not going to be life changing. Frankly, I liked 28s more than 30s on narrower rims, anyway. On wide rims, where the tire cross section is less bulbous and floppy, I'd be more inclined to go up that half size.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 10-16-22, 08:52 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Potentially also a downside to going a bit wider, will you have any hassles removing or installing wheel with tires inflated? Ie. would your brake's release open up enough to accommodate the differential between the rim and inflated tire widths?
Likes For Sy Reene: