Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Steel track frame - fork dents/dimpling/crimples?

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Old 03-12-21, 10:20 AM
jliet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Hello, posting as I was directed here!

Just found these when I removed the front track (non-drill) brake that was attached to the fork - believe it is columbus aelle tubing. Presuming these are from the stress of the brake and not something that was done intentionally by frame builders (i.e. crimping to increase spacing? doesn't seem like it with the size of these).

Presuming this fork is not safe to ride after all...

Cheers.
Old 03-12-21, 11:59 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
It's hard to understand what is going on with that. I don't think I have ever seen a fork with that sort of dent as a result of buckling.

My rule about forks is that if I don't feel fully confident, even if I don't know why, I don't ride it. I think most people feel the same way.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 03-12-21, 12:55 PM
jliet

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Agreed! I think I will take it to a local framebuilder/etc and see what they say and whether it's worth repairing.

And I definitely wouldn't have ridden it, I just didn't see this until now aha, so unfortunately (or fortunately) I did some inadvertent stress testing already...
Old 03-12-21, 01:04 PM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
It's hard to understand what is going on with that. I don't think I have ever seen a fork with that sort of dent as a result of buckling.

My rule about forks is that if I don't feel fully confident, even if I don't know why, I don't ride it. I think most people feel the same way.
My interpretation of what the OP was saying was that it previously had some kind of band-on brake mounts that were fitted by a 300lb gorilla.
Old 03-12-21, 01:42 PM
jliet

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
And the brakes even had a rubber padding... guess someone really went for it.
Old 03-12-21, 02:08 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
Okay, sorry, I didn't read closely enough. I wouldn't ride it.
Old 03-12-21, 03:39 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2468 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,671 Posts
For those unfamiliar with clamp-on brakes for track bikes, this or something like it was apparently installed on the fork.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 03-13-21, 07:11 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Liked 1,377 Times in 755 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
For those unfamiliar with clamp-on brakes for track bikes, this or something like it was apparently installed on the fork.
Hmmm... Might be a "solution" for those pesky 650b conversions where you can't find long enough brakes.
Old 03-13-21, 07:39 AM
jliet

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
Hmmm... Might be a "solution" for those pesky 650b conversions where you can't find long enough brakes.
They are actually generally great - in this instance the person actually installed the ovalised 'aero' version on round forks, hence the dents... But otherwise they are decent!
Old 03-13-21, 04:53 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 2,566 Times in 1,072 Posts
Maybe the blades were damaged in the same crash that buckled the downtube? I didn't hear any mention of the DT being kinked, but it is, right? Lug point starting to do the "can opener" on the tube? Unless this is some kinda lens distortion.

Mark B
Old 03-13-21, 06:56 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,835 Times in 2,293 Posts
Mark makes an interesting point. Less the question about possible DT frontal impact evidence (which I can sort of see too) but more the possibility of more then one issue at play at the same time. We seem to like simple explanations and short routes to an answer but real life often has a few involvements going on at the same time. It is very easy to envision that this frame has had both a frontal impact as well as a heavy handed but wrong install of a uncommon brake mount. That two problems might be seen should not be dismissed. Once again this possibility shows we here are so limited in our ability to give advice with limited info and few images. Andy
Old 03-14-21, 01:15 AM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 2,566 Times in 1,072 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
<...> the possibility of more than one issue at play at the same time.
Or put another way, Occam was an optimist.

It's always tempting to look for one simple explanation, but sometimes there's more than one thing wrong.

Who here has found "the" piece of glass in their tire only to immediately get another flat because there were two pieces of glass in the tire? (Obviously a question only for those old enough to remember innertubes.)
Likes For bulgie:
Old 03-14-21, 02:05 AM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
Or put another way, Occam was an optimist.

It's always tempting to look for one simple explanation, but sometimes there's more than one thing wrong.

Who here has found "the" piece of glass in their tire only to immediately get another flat because there were two pieces of glass in the tire? (Obviously a question only for those old enough to remember innertubes.)
I call this the British Car Problem. You hear a funny noise and think CV joint. You take it all apart and the CV is indeed shot. Three days later, and with most of the grease now out of your eye sockets, off you go. The same noise. The CV was shot but so were the ball joints. Occam clearly never owned a Mini.
Likes For guy153: