Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

most framebuilders have machining skills as well?

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Old 06-02-21, 02:28 PM
tendency

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts

I'm curious how common it is for a framebuilder to be an accomplished machinist as well; someone who is comfortable using lathe's to custom machine metal or various parts. Any idea? Seems, from the ones I've talked to (not many admittedly) that a smallish percentage are. Thanks-
Old 06-02-21, 03:47 PM
Nessism

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 78 Posts
My guess is that the majority are comfortable around a machine shop. Particularly as it applies to making frames and frame parts. Does that qualify as an "accomplished machinist?" Maybe not. At least to the point of being able to make a living from that alone. But most independent builders are pretty darn handy with making stuff from metal.
Old 06-02-21, 04:59 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 51 Posts
I do not have a metal working background. I have taught myself how to weld building frames and other things. But now that I'm going deeper I'm wanting to learn how to use a mill and a lathe and will will buying something in the next few years.
Old 06-02-21, 05:06 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1151 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 186 Posts
I just learned the other day that the head machinist in the shop at the college where I work builds frames on the side.
Old 06-02-21, 05:15 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1,349 Times in 977 Posts
I think most framebuilders are amateur machinists at best. At least that's what I see on insta
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 06-03-21, 05:29 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 303 Posts
Building bike frames is an expensive business/hobby and making your own fixtures can save money, while also satisfying the desire to make your own things that brought some of us to framebuilding in the first place. I bought my mill and lathe to make it possible for me to make my own frame jig and fixtures and taught myself to make things with them. I use the mill for all of my tube mitering and I use both machines to make some frame parts, like yokes, dropouts and chainstay/seatstay bullets. I can use the machines to make the things that I need, but I wouldn't call myself a machinist.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 06-04-21, 04:19 AM
mikeread

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 17 Posts
I wouldn't call myself a machinist but I do have a small lathe and mill.

Before I had these machines I was forever restricted, held back or frustrated as I didn't have, couldn't find or couldn't afford the part or tool that I needed.

Now I can just make what I need and I really don't understand how anyone making anything manages without them !!

I have only made a handful of frames, mostly I make knives, but in both cases the machines are at least 90% used for making tools and fixtures to resolve manufacturing problems or make things quicker/easier/more accurate. So it might not be immediately obvious what you might use a lathe for but once you have one, you will be using it all the time.