Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Why Bamboo?

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Why Bamboo?

Old 06-14-21, 12:29 PM
  #26  
Nessism
Senior Member
 
Nessism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 2,963

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 74 Posts
I think a lot of guy like the idea of making a frame, but the cost and complexity of welding/brazing, and difficulties with fixturing, makes it prohibitive. Working with bamboo, which is a lot like woodworking, is considerably less intimidating though. And credit to Calfee on his simple PVC jig and youtube instruction guide, which further brings the project down to earth so to speak. Factor in the novelty of owning a bamboo frame too. If well constructed they seem to last a reasonable period of time so why not?
Nessism is online now  
Old 06-14-21, 12:35 PM
  #27  
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Posts: 21,606
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1,329 Times in 963 Posts
Calfee also posted how to build a carbon frame, but it's gone now. Much more tempting for me.
unterhausen is offline  
Old 06-14-21, 12:58 PM
  #28  
Canaboo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 470
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
That's cool if you want to feel that way. The construction is exactly the same as one of their tow wrapped carbon bikes though..

As far as marketing pufffery, you could say the same for any frame material.

You might change your mind if you try one.
Canaboo is offline  
Old 06-16-21, 11:23 AM
  #29  
guy153
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 574
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Nessism View Post
I think a lot of guy like the idea of making a frame, but the cost and complexity of welding/brazing, and difficulties with fixturing, makes it prohibitive. Working with bamboo, which is a lot like woodworking, is considerably less intimidating though. And credit to Calfee on his simple PVC jig and youtube instruction guide, which further brings the project down to earth so to speak. Factor in the novelty of owning a bamboo frame too. If well constructed they seem to last a reasonable period of time so why not?
Agree. The stoke of riding a frame you made yourself far exceeds any actual differences in the performance of the materials. Bamboo opens this up to more people. It's also actually a pretty good material (but given the choice I do much prefer steel personally).

A friend of mine made one and sadly it did fall apart due to weathering after a few years.
guy153 is offline  
Old 06-16-21, 12:11 PM
  #30  
seibaatgung
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by guy153 View Post
Agree. The stoke of riding a frame you made yourself far exceeds any actual differences in the performance of the materials. Bamboo opens this up to more people. It's also actually a pretty good material (but given the choice I do much prefer steel personally).

A friend of mine made one and sadly it did fall apart due to weathering after a few years.
Is it actually more or less springy than steel?
seibaatgung is offline  
Old 06-16-21, 01:18 PM
  #31  
Canaboo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 470
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Springy by actual specs or how it 'feels" when ridden? That's going to vary somewhat based on bamboo type and diameter.
Canaboo is offline  
Likes For Canaboo:
Old 06-16-21, 08:59 PM
  #32  
seibaatgung
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Canaboo View Post
Springy by actual specs or how it 'feels" when ridden? That's going to vary somewhat based on bamboo type and diameter.
both
seibaatgung is offline  
Old 06-17-21, 07:23 AM
  #33  
Canaboo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 470
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by seibaatgung View Post
both
It rides quite similar,
Canaboo is offline  
Old 06-20-21, 06:23 AM
  #34  
JonnyHK 
Senior Member
 
JonnyHK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: London
Posts: 2,415

Bikes: Baum Romano, Brompton S2, Homemade Bamboo!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
Is there more than one kit? The Calfee kit was on Kickstarter when I bought it but I havenít checked in lately whatís for sale.

Luke and Anakin both lost their right hands; Anakin rather more than that.

A few companies or projects have come and gone.

I really like the look of the new pre-made lugs here.
JonnyHK is offline  
Likes For JonnyHK:
Old 06-20-21, 09:40 AM
  #35  
seibaatgung
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by JonnyHK View Post
A few companies or projects have come and gone.

I really like the look of the new pre-made lugs here.
Pretty sure calfee is still selling
seibaatgung is offline  
Old 06-30-21, 11:17 PM
  #36  
blowindian
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Canaboo View Post
It rides quite similar,
I can confirmed that.

It's quite comfortable and ride smooth. It's not a fast bike, but it can go fast. The one I borrow from a friend for test ride have a lot of flex. It's very noticeable when it went 35kph up. I pushed until around 45kph and it start to wobble.

I was curious about bamboo bike when I saw two cyclist ride it on 1000km brevet earlier this year. Turn up they also ride this bike on PBP 2019.

This one have a treated and laminated bamboo tubing. I think it still can be improved because the problem is more in the geometry and joints. And yes, it's heavy. This one is about 12 kg.

P.S.: Sorry, can not post photo here because I am new. Need more 9 posts before I can post a photo.
blowindian is offline  
Old 06-30-21, 11:56 PM
  #37  
seibaatgung
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by blowindian View Post
I can confirmed that.

It's quite comfortable and ride smooth. It's not a fast bike, but it can go fast. The one I borrow from a friend for test ride have a lot of flex. It's very noticeable when it went 35kph up. I pushed until around 45kph and it start to wobble.

I was curious about bamboo bike when I saw two cyclist ride it on 1000km brevet earlier this year. Turn up they also ride this bike on PBP 2019.

This one have a treated and laminated bamboo tubing. I think it still can be improved because the problem is more in the geometry and joints. And yes, it's heavy. This one is about 12 kg.

P.S.: Sorry, can not post photo here because I am new. Need more 9 posts before I can post a photo.
please return then.
seibaatgung is offline  
Old 07-01-21, 12:13 AM
  #38  
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Posts: 21,606
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1,329 Times in 963 Posts
Originally Posted by blowindian View Post
P.S.: Sorry, can not post photo here because I am new. Need more 9 posts before I can post a photo.
upload pictures to an album in your gallery and let us know. We can post them here for you. Don't forget to click the "upload" button in the upper right hand corner of the dialog box
unterhausen is offline  
Old 07-01-21, 12:22 AM
  #39  
blowindian
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
upload pictures to an album in your gallery and let us know. We can post them here for you. Don't forget to click the "upload" button in the upper right hand corner of the dialog box
Thanks.
Done.
blowindian is offline  
Old 07-01-21, 06:51 AM
  #40  
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Posts: 21,606
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1,329 Times in 963 Posts
Pic assist
unterhausen is offline  
Likes For unterhausen:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.