Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

"Consumables?"

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-22, 12:11 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
All things are Energy. Energy can not be created nor destroyed. But, it is always transformed.,

Entropy is not a consumable.
Old 07-29-22, 01:27 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
No one's debating when the term originated.
Background. My own experience with the word is from office supplies in the '80s.
Old 07-29-22, 02:05 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by thumpism
Background. My own experience with the word is from office supplies in the '80s.

I've certainly heard it used in a lot of contexts throughout my adult life, including to refer to car items like oil and tires, but I think I only heard it applied to bike chains and the like in the last few years.
Old 07-29-22, 02:44 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
I had never heard of rims being regarded as consumable until reading this forum, but I'll believe it.
Originally Posted by smd4
Same.
And yet some people in this thread post advice like they know much, much more than they do. Funny how that happens.
Old 07-29-22, 02:48 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by cxwrench
And yet some people in this thread post advice like they know much, much more than they do. Funny how that happens.
Are you saying lots of people call rims consumables? Guess I'll have to ask around.
Old 07-29-22, 03:18 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Aluminum rims definitely have a finite life. Eventually, cracks form at the spoke holes, then the spoke nipple pulls through, which makes it impossible to true the rim.
Cracks around spoke holes and spokes pulling through isn`t an issue with modern quality rims which were build and tensioned properly...What really wears out aluminum rims are bikes with rim brakes which are ridden a lot during winter when there is a lot of slush, salt and grit on the roads.
Old 07-29-22, 03:24 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3413 Post(s)
Liked 3,542 Times in 1,782 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Cracks around spoke holes and spokes pulling through isn`t an issue with modern quality rims which were build and tensioned properly...What really wears out aluminum rims are bikes with rim brakes which are ridden a lot during winter when there is a lot of slush, salt and grit on the roads.
Aluminum rims will fail if ridden long enough, even if the build quality is excellent.

The failure mode is fatigue cracking.

In fact, anything made of aluminum will eventually fail, if it is stress cycled enough times.

Last edited by terrymorse; 07-29-22 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-29-22, 04:12 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 896 Times in 440 Posts
The rim failures I read about with regard to being 'consumable' were due to wear on the braking surfaces over time. The reason I said I'd believe it is because my brother said he could see light through a friend's rims once due to such wear. I don't count spokes pulling out as 'wear', but I suppose that is semantics. Handlebar failures caused by sweat is a new one for me, too.
Old 07-29-22, 05:21 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,202 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
The rim failures I read about with regard to being 'consumable' were due to wear on the braking surfaces over time. The reason I said I'd believe it is because my brother said he could see light through a friend's rims once due to such wear. I don't count spokes pulling out as 'wear', but I suppose that is semantics. Handlebar failures caused by sweat is a new one for me, too.
Usually rim failures from braking are going to show up as cupped sidewall. The metal thins and the pressure of the tire tends to bend the walls out. They can eventually crack and break if used too long.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-29-22, 09:24 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
If I rode my bike a few hundred miles per year, my chains would last many years. Instead, based on measured wear, they last about 2/3 of a season. Without a mileage reference, your comment is not much use.
My comment is of tremendous use. Conditions matter as to the "consumability" of a chain.

My winter bike sees very few miles, but the chain is destroyed by road salt every year. My nice road bike sees many fair-weather miles, and chains last a very long time.

The irritating pedantry of this forum at times is why I visit so infrequently anymore.
Old 07-29-22, 09:59 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2566 Post(s)
Liked 5,599 Times in 2,906 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Usually rim failures from braking are going to show up as cupped sidewall. The metal thins and the pressure of the tire tends to bend the walls out. They can eventually crack and break if used too long.
I have a set of 1980s Mavic rims with untold thousands of miles on them and they are severely cupped. Don’t use them any more as they are on a bike I seldom ride, but have often wondered what would happen when they got too thin. Fortunately never had to find out. Consumable? Definitely.

Old 07-29-22, 10:23 PM
cxwrench

Originally Posted by wolfchild
You might want to rethink this one. I've rebuilt 2 wheels this week from cracks at the spoke holes. It most definitely still happens.
Old 07-30-22, 04:52 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Sure, just about anything MIGHT need to be replaced during the typical life of a bike,

But consumable almost certainly WILL need to be replaced.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 07-30-22, 10:02 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

You might want to rethink this one. I've rebuilt 2 wheels this week from cracks at the spoke holes. It most definitely still happens.
it is rare if the wheel was built properly.

On the other hand, before disc brakes became ubiquitous, I saw bikes that saw lots of winter use have the brake surface ground to aluminum paste by the rim brakes grinding them with a wet slurry or salt and sand.
Old 07-30-22, 10:08 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

I know it’s technically not on the bike, but cycling gloves and shorts are consumables as well.

Old 07-30-22, 02:18 PM
cxwrench

Originally Posted by Banzai
it is rare if the wheel was built properly.

On the other hand, before disc brakes became ubiquitous, I saw bikes that saw lots of winter use have the brake surface ground to aluminum paste by the rim brakes grinding them with a wet slurry or salt and sand.
It's not that rare. I don't know if you work in a shop or not but I see cracked rims all the time. It's also not always whether or not the wheel was built 'properly'. There are lots of crap rims out there. One of the wheels from this week is on it's 3rd rim, second rebuild.
Old 07-30-22, 04:41 PM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Not to be confused with "edibles".

Is there really any part on a bike that cannot be replaced? And if every single part on a bike has been replaced, is it still the same bike, if it has been in continuous existence since it was built?
That's my bike. Only original parts on it from when I bought it new are the frame, spacers on the steerer tube, the stem, and the seatpost. Everything else has been replaced, sometimes more than once (on my third handlebar and fourth set of wheels, for instance).
Old 07-30-22, 04:48 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by The Chemist
That's my bike. Only original parts on it from when I bought it new are the frame, spacers on the steerer tube, the stem, and the seatpost. Everything else has been replaced, sometimes more than once (on my third handlebar and fourth set of wheels, for instance).
Considering the markup on individual parts, I wonder what is most expensive in the long term; buying a complete bike or doing it your way. (I know not everyone can afford a new bike when the old one gets tired)

Old 07-31-22, 02:25 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Considering the markup on individual parts, I wonder what is most expensive in the long term; buying a complete bike or doing it your way. (I know not everyone can afford a new bike when the old one gets tired)

Depends on where you're starting from, as well as how long a time the component replacements are spread over.
One of my favorite bikes is my 1997 Cannondale F-1000. It was about an $1100 build back in the day, LX/XT, and a lot of period '90s goodies (Ringle, MachineTech) It's has had a number of different bar and stem setups over the years, a couple -three chains and about half a dozen sets of tires. Right now, the shock is showing signs of needing another rebuild, and the rims are starting to show their age.
​So I'm looking at spending $500-$700 on the old sled, which won't get me much in a new bike; an equivalent to that old CAAD-3 would run me somewhere in the neighborhood of $1800, which is a much harder pitch to my finance officer.

Now, I don't see, like the post you responded to, the wisdom of taking, say, a 10-year-old Sora bike and doing a full R7000 upgrade and new wheels and all the bits and bobs, when you still end up with a mid-level alloy GIANT.
Old 07-31-22, 01:28 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

It's not that rare. I don't know if you work in a shop or not but I see cracked rims all the time. It's also not always whether or not the wheel was built 'properly'. There are lots of crap rims out there. One of the wheels from this week is on it's 3rd rim, second rebuild.
I don’t work in a shop. I am a very good wheel builder: I only ride my own wheels, my friends mostly ride my wheels too. I select rims and spoke counts appropriate for use and weight, and I take care with tension.

I’m not saying it doesn’t happen. I’ve definitely seen it when friends come to me with their OEM wheels and ask me to fix it…then end up with one of my own builds.

A few years back I was having a heck of a time with the Pacenti rims. Had to be exceedingly careful in the build, or they would definitely develop cracks.
Old 08-01-22, 09:07 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
This might look like a 2013 Bianchi Volpe, but it is what is left of my 2006 Volpe pictured below. Every part on the 2006 except the bars, shifters and stem have been replaced, including the frame under warranty. Some components have been replaced multiple times: chains, chainrings, bottom brackets, cassettes, cables, jockey wheels, wheel bearings, saddles, pedals, and water bottle cages.

I've put a lot of miles on Volpes

This was the reason for replacing the headset.

Last edited by Doug64; 08-01-22 at 09:11 PM.
Old 08-02-22, 07:28 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Doug64
This might look like a 2013 Bianchi Volpe, but it is what is left of my 2006 Volpe pictured below. Every part on the 2006 except the bars, shifters and stem have been replaced, including the frame under warranty. Some components have been replaced multiple times: chains, chainrings, bottom brackets, cassettes, cables, jockey wheels, wheel bearings, saddles, pedals, and water bottle cages.

I've put a lot of miles on Volpes

This was the reason for replacing the headset.

So I take it you don't subscribe to the theory that once the frame is replaced, it's no longer the same bike. I'd be thinking of that as having taken some of the 2006 bike's parts and putting them on a new bike.

I could probably come up with some legal scenario where it would be important whether it was defined as an upgraded old bike vs. a new bike incorporating some old parts, but I think both answers are equally logical.

I like your bike, btw.
Old 08-02-22, 07:48 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
So I take it you don't subscribe to the theory that once the frame is replaced, it's no longer the same bike. I'd be thinking of that as having taken some of the 2006 bike's parts and putting them on a new bike.
I figure a bike whose frame is replaced under warranty by the "same" model (yeah, I know it's likely changed in a few years) is the same bike. It's only if I acquire another frame and move the parts over that it becomes a different bike.

That said, that's a reasonable case that you're arguing.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 08-02-22, 08:04 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by pdlamb
I figure a bike whose frame is replaced under warranty by the "same" model (yeah, I know it's likely changed in a few years) is the same bike. It's only if I acquire another frame and move the parts over that it becomes a different bike.

That said, that's a reasonable case that you're arguing.

It's probably a perspective thing--you may be the only person to whom that particular bike would seem to be the same one because you've used it the same way throughout its entire transition. Someone else would probably think that it's a 2013 bike, not the 2006 bike because they weren't there.

BTW, I'm going to guess that if, hypothetically, you had tried to sell it in 2014, you wouldn't have been telling people it was a 2006 bike, and I think that would be entirely honest and fair to call it a 2013 bike with some 2006 parts on it. I also think it's completely reasonable that for your own purposes, it's really the 2006 bike. I love questions with 2 completely different, plausible answers that are contradictory.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-02-22, 05:42 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
I think of it as a new bike, but I liked the old one better. The frame welds were finished much better on the 2006. I have 2 other touring bikes, a Surly LHT and a Cannondale T2, but the Bianchi is still my favorite bike. However, part of the reason for that might have something to do with sentimental value.

Last edited by Doug64; 08-02-22 at 05:47 PM.
Likes For Doug64:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.