Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Rear Bike Rack Topcase/Bag Recommendations

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-10, 12:54 AM
vt2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am going to college in a couple weeks, and it will be my first year using a bike as a daily commute.

I currently have a rear bike rack on my mountain bike. Delta Universal Rack (https://www.viewpoints.com/images/rev...33211_full.jpg)

I need the a case to be water-resistant and easy to clean for the rainy days and be able to fit my bookbag (two textbooks and a 15" laptop inside). I'm not a fan of those bags with ears on the side which hang down "Panniers"

I was considering mounting a "Kettler Rear Bicycle Basket" on the rear of my rack and using a waterproof sleeping bag cover and put my bookbag inside for the rainy days.

I also looked at several rear bags like the Topeak MTX Trunk Bag DX.

Alternatively I found the "M-Wave Bicycle Topcase". In the pictures it shows that it would fit something only the size of a helmet.

I was wondering if any of you guys would recommend a different topcase or rear zipper cases so that I can put my backpack (Dimensions: 19"H x 14" W 8"D)

I prefer the hard cases but I am open to any nylon type bags as well.

Whats my best solution? BTW I don't have over $100 to spend for one.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by vt2020; 08-09-10 at 12:58 AM.
Old 08-09-10, 12:31 PM
AndrewP

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a nylon trunk bag by Raleigh. It is a bit too small for you, but I found by reworking a cardboard box for exact fit inside the case, it holds everything on the rack much more steadily.