Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Two person tent for solo tour?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Two person tent for solo tour?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-22, 09:20 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
You must not camp under a pavillion roof or similar location in hot buggy weather much or ever or you'd have pretty frequent occasions to leave the fly off. That can be a common situation on some ACA routes like the TA. I have never had to put a fly on in the middle of the night, not once.
Shelters? What are those? Here in the west we consider ourselves lucky if we get a relatively flat spot to pitch a tent. “Flat” by the way is something with less than a 10% grade.

Honestly, I’ve pitched a tent under a structure once, maybe twice. It’s just not something I’ve run across very often. I’ve done a whole lot of touring and camping in the eastern US and haven’t seen tent shelters there either.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-07-22, 11:23 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I’ve done a whole lot of touring and camping in the eastern US and haven’t seen tent shelters there either.

Shelter at a municipal campsite along the Allegheny River Trail in Franklin, PA. One of two at the site.

Typical Vermont state park shelter. (Ft. Dummer S.P. just outside of Brattleboro.) I’ve never stayed at a Vermont state park that does not have them. Usually lots of them.

Shelter at North Beach Campground in Burlington, VT.

There are four at the park campsite in Connellsville, PA, along the GAP. In W. Newton, also on the GAP, there is a private campground with a large, covered common area where you can pitch your tent in bad weather. (The grass is much nicer.)

Off the top head my I can think of a couple of other places in the east where I have been offered to pitch my tent under picnic shelters in the event of bad weather.

The neatest offer of shelter was in Waterton Village in AB. The woman who checked us in at the Towne Campsite suggested (unofficially) that we set up shop inside one of the camp kitchens due to the wind and cold. (There were whitecaps on the lake.) We entered one to find a nice couple taking a break from their RV. They had a fire going in the large stove. Before they went back to their RV, the husband drove me into the center of town so I could purchase more firewood.

Last edited by indyfabz; 10-07-22 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10-07-22, 12:50 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by polymorphself
Has anybody found that when touring and/or camping solo they prefer to have a two person tent despite the weight/size trade off? I'm looking to buy a new tent this week and can't think up reasons I'd need bigger than a one person, but there's always something to learn.
I take a combination ground cloth and tarp with a lenght of line and plastic tent stakes. I dislike riding in the rain and so avoid trips in areas where it is likely to rain unless I can find a motel or B&B. My primary concern is how long it takes to set up the tent and to take it down the next morning. A ground cloth is all I have needed 95% of the time and it takes no time to roll it out or roll it back up and lash it to the rear rack to head out in the morning. Mosquitos are a possible concern but mosquitoe netting that has been treated with permethrin is very effective.

After my first few long tours I would consider which items had been useful and which items constituted excess baggage. I took half as much on my second trip and half as much of that on my third trip. I does help a great deal to split the weight among two people. With my friend we only needed one set of tools and one cook stove and one fuel bottle. A two person tent would have been the choice if we needed a tent.
Old 10-07-22, 03:07 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Shelters? What are those? Here in the west we consider ourselves lucky if we get a relatively flat spot to pitch a tent. “Flat” by the way is something with less than a 10% grade.

Honestly, I’ve pitched a tent under a structure once, maybe twice. It’s just not something I’ve run across very often. I’ve done a whole lot of touring and camping in the eastern US and haven’t seen tent shelters there either.
I may be an easterner, but most of my touring is in the west.

Most of the lean-tos I camped under were when backpacking in the east, but the picnic pavilions and so on I used when touring were almost all west of the Mississippi. I am pretty sure that includes a few in every state I rode in the west on the TransAmerica. Off the top of my head I don't recall using any in the east, but I am sure I must have here and there, just much less frequently. Additionally I used some in other western states on other tours.
Old 10-08-22, 06:10 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
There are four at the park campsite in Connellsville, PA, along the GAP. In W. Newton, also on the GAP, there is a private campground with a large, covered common area where you can pitch your tent in bad weather. (The grass is much nicer.).
BTDT and those shelters were a welcome sight. End of an 85 mile day but a perfect cool summer evening. Lovely and quiet too. I agree that one advantage of free standing is in pitching the tent under a roof when thunderstorms are expected. Floors could be grass or asphalt or wood or concrete. I’ve even set up in an old (cleaned out) chicken coop. Sketchy walls but a solid roof. Nice to pack a dry tent in the morning.
Old 10-08-22, 08:58 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I may be an easterner, but most of my touring is in the west.

Most of the lean-tos I camped under were when backpacking in the east, but the picnic pavilions and so on I used when touring were almost all west of the Mississippi. I am pretty sure that includes a few in every state I rode in the west on the TransAmerica. Off the top of my head I don't recall using any in the east, but I am sure I must have here and there, just much less frequently. Additionally I used some in other western states on other tours.
Your experiences probably have more to do with the routes than what is usually found throughout the west. I don’t often travel on routes like those of Adventure Cycling. I also seldom end up in towns at the end of the day. Most of my camping in the west has been in USFS or BLM campgrounds, state park campgrounds, or commercial campgrounds. With the exception of commercial campgrounds, the amenities are minimal. Often you are lucky if you have a pit toilet.

And, to be honest, I’ve been to a single campground in the east that had a place to set up under shelter. I set up under a pavilion in Menominee, MI just last year after a long day in the rain and hoped that I could beg forgiveness in the morning. My assigned campsite was a pond. The next morning the camp host said that they had meant to tell me I could set up there.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-08-22, 06:22 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Ayup, out West here, I like it when I can find pine trees to camp under. Not only for rain protection, but especially for the cushy mattress, aka pine needles. 👍 Of course, pine cones are also part of the deal, so it's a good idea to stop, before it gets dark, so you can check your spot. 🙄😁😉
Old 10-08-22, 06:42 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
I have done backpacking trips and also kayak trips on Isle Royale, an island in Lake Superior. Some of their campsites have shelters, some have just tent sites and some have both. Their shelters all have screen for the mosquitos.

But the wood floors are harder than ground, an air mattress that is a couple inches thick is much more comfortable on those floors than a half inch thick sleeping mat.

This was my first night on a a two week kayaking trip, thus several dry bags of food. The clothing in the screened wall is my dry suit trying to get drier.

Outside view.

There is no bicycling on Isle Royale, so don't start planning a tour there. You are either using your feet or one of these for your transport.

I have seen a few canoes up there, and paddle boards but those mostly are used in the sheltered area of Rock Harbor, or on interior lakes.
Old 10-09-22, 06:24 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Prowler
BTDT and those shelters were a welcome sight.
The first time I entered one (2103) there was a used condom in it. A trail monitor came by later and told me local folks sometimes use them to have sex in.
Old 10-12-22, 10:35 AM
indyfabz

Had totally forgotten about my favorite shelter. A caboose from the early 1900s in Chester, MA. Those pads were quite comfortable. Didn’t bother with my mattress.

The nearby passenger station has been turned into an event venue. Rental of the caboose comes with a key to the station for bathroom privileges.

Last edited by indyfabz; 10-12-22 at 10:42 AM.
Likes For indyfabz: