Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The pizza cutter strikes again

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

The pizza cutter strikes again

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-22, 10:11 PM
Joearch

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV Disc Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 31 Posts
I must say that while pedaling along I have looked down at the front wheel, thinking to myself that the brake rotor does remind me of a dremmel cutting tool. Thought a number of times if I were to come in contact with someone with my rotor tne results would not be good. True there are a number of dangerous parts on the bike, the rotor is extra scary.
Old 04-13-22, 10:26 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts

I didn't realize how dangerous wheels with spokes are, I'm going full disc to play it safe. Having trouble finding a front one, might have to go with a faring.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 04-14-22, 05:52 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 438 Posts
''Questions safety of disc brakes''
I think there are a lot more people crashing because they lost their braking power due rim brake failures or inefficiency than people getting their ears cut by discs during a crash.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 04-14-22, 07:30 AM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
''Questions safety of disc brakes''
I think there are a lot more people crashing because they lost their braking power due rim brake failures or inefficiency than people getting their ears cut by discs during a crash.
True, the injury potential for losing brakes is far higher than getting into contact with hot, spinning disc rotors.

The biggest hazard of rim brakes is the tire or rim or both exploding during long descents in the warmer seasons. Apparently, the current solution to that problem (other than upgrading to disc brake) is minimize braking during long descents. A practice that can be quite problematic for many reasons especially when riding public roads
Old 04-14-22, 07:39 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10152 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I have a chainring scar on my left leg from falling off of my mtb. Let's get rid of those dangerous chainrings.
One of the more memorable cycling injuries I've seen was what a chainring did to someone's calf in a Wednesday night crit crash.
Old 04-14-22, 08:31 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8263 Post(s)
Liked 9,000 Times in 4,456 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
One of the more memorable cycling injuries I've seen was what a chainring did to someone's calf in a Wednesday night crit crash.
Mine isn't too bad. I can hardly see it anymore since I now have that old man skin. I have a worse one on my right leg from slipping off the kickstarter on my motorcycle when I tried to start it in work shoes.
Likes For big john:
Old 04-14-22, 10:17 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
If the discs are good and hot, they’ll self-cauterize the wound, making extensive debridement necessary, but preventing potential exsanguination.
Says Gavin Mannion who was also injured this week:

“Both crashes were pretty minor except the fact that I landed on a hot rotor,” Mannion told CyclingTips. “For one, I needed eight stitches in the front of my knee, and for the other, I needed 12 staples in my hip. The cuts were so clean it was almost like the rotor burned through it.”
Likes For popeye:
Old 04-14-22, 10:34 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,181 Times in 2,224 Posts
Bikes should have both rim and disc brakes at the same time. Ultimate stopping power plus redundancy. What could go wrong.
Old 04-14-22, 10:38 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4225 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,804 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I have a chainring scar on my left leg from falling off of my mtb. Let's get rid of those dangerous chainrings.
Outlaw platform pedals with pins or rat trap pedals. No way to know how many shins and calves have been carved up by those suckers over the years.
Likes For himespau:
Old 04-14-22, 11:30 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by qwaalodge
True, the injury potential for losing brakes is far higher than getting into contact with hot, spinning disc rotors.

The biggest hazard of rim brakes is the tire or rim or both exploding during long descents in the warmer seasons. Apparently, the current solution to that problem (other than upgrading to disc brake) is minimize braking during long descents. A practice that can be quite problematic for many reasons especially when riding public roads
It does make sense! Never thought of that to be honest, but rubbing brake pads on a wheel for an extended period of time must heat the whole thing pretty seriously.
Hot air = increase in pressure = assploding tires!
Old 04-14-22, 12:32 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts

!!!WARNING!!!! Not for the squeamish, but a chain ring incident suffered by someone I used to ride with:

======> DO NOT CLICK ON THIS LINK IF SERIOUS WOUNDS UPSET YOU <=======

Did you read the above warning??

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-H45qNo6GC...0/IMG_2742.JPG

Last edited by tomato coupe; 04-14-22 at 01:04 PM.
Old 04-14-22, 12:45 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9652 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
This sport is dangerous! Lot's of equipment designed to maim and injure people. I think I'll go back to couch surfing.
Old 04-14-22, 02:31 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8263 Post(s)
Liked 9,000 Times in 4,456 Posts
It does make sense! Never thought of that to be honest, but rubbing brake pads on a wheel for an extended period of time must heat the whole thing pretty seriously.
I tried those peel and stick patches at one time and had one blow off on a steep descent when it got too hot.
Old 04-14-22, 05:10 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
How fast do you imagine it's spinning?
By the time you end up in a pileup and coming into contact with a disc, it is not going to be turning very fast. The edge of the rotor is only moving a fraction of the speed of the tires.
Old 04-14-22, 06:59 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
The EWS lately did a study about what kind of injuries riders were getting and how severe (in terms of days to recovery). Does road cycling have any similar stats?
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 04-14-22, 08:02 PM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 61 Posts
The rim braking heat weakens the rim material (aluminum or CF and keeping in mind, the tire pressure, is pushing hard against the rim edge). A lot worse if the owner did not bothered to replace the rim after the wear indicators have worn out.

And then, the heavier the rider, the higher the tire pressure, the higher chance of blowing out the rim when dragging the brakes in long, hot weather descents. Fortunately, many blowouts seem to happen at the rear wheel which is less dangerous than the front but still very dangerous especially if it happened 40mph downhill.

This is why you hear the advice very often, "do not drag your brakes in long descents". But it doesn't always work for everyone for many reasons and the disc brake is a most welcome tech for that.
Old 04-15-22, 04:08 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
How fast do you imagine it's spinning?
A lot less fast than you think. Assuming you go down at 30 mph, the edge of the disc, assuming a 160mm disc, is only moving at ((pi*0.16m)/2.15m) * 30 mph = ~7 mph, and that is at about 375 rpm.
Old 04-15-22, 06:03 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
This thing only weighs 12lbs. Plenty heavy enough to inflict major damage if swung as a weapon. Especially if you're a biscuits and mustard type of person. (that wasn't a rotor, though) Imagine how much damage it or something similar with a thinner blade profile could do attached to a 150lb projectile traveling 20+ mph. That's a lot of ballast with lots of force behind it. It's entirely possible. Not likely, but possible. I still think the chainrings would do more slicing damage. Blunt force, most anything attached to the bike will pack a punch.

Old 04-15-22, 06:55 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
This thing only weighs 12lbs. Plenty heavy enough to inflict major damage if swung as a weapon.

LOL Reminds me of a "meme" we use on another forum..... Brake rotor threads are always a lively subject!

Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 04-15-22, 07:46 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Chainrings are FAR more dangerous than discs. The danger could easily be mitigated to near zero with a dead simple and extremely light ring guard (like a bash ring).

I find it amusing that anyone frets over discs while they don’t think twice about the easily solvable issue with chainrings.

To be real, I don’t think either is worth losing sleep over, but to worry about discs before rings is just asinine.
Old 04-15-22, 08:05 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
Why can't this be tested and put to rest? You could take a dead pig's limb, spin a bike wheel on a stand up to speed, stick limb up to disk and see what happens. Then have barbecue pig limb later. Where's Mythbusters when you need them?
Old 04-15-22, 08:10 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Imagine how much damage it or something similar with a thinner blade profile could do attached to a 150lb projectile traveling 20+ mph. That's a lot of ballast with lots of force behind it. It's entirely possible. Not likely, but possible. I still think the chainrings would do more slicing damage. Blunt force, most anything attached to the bike will pack a punch.
Yeah, it's all about the impact force, and that rotational speed is a bit of a red herring, but I think that this overstates it. The force behind it isn't going to be the full weight of the bike and rider - we're meat sacks loosely attached to the bike at best. Yeah, discs can cause damage in pileup but, as you say, that's the nature of high-speed collisions and I think it's silly how much they're demonized (by some), relatively speaking.
Old 04-15-22, 08:39 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Yeah, it's all about the impact force, and that rotational speed is a bit of a red herring, but I think that this overstates it. The force behind it isn't going to be the full weight of the bike and rider - we're meat sacks loosely attached to the bike at best. Yeah, discs can cause damage in pileup but, as you say, that's the nature of high-speed collisions and I think it's silly how much they're demonized (by some), relatively speaking.
Also, unless the target is up against something solid like the ground or a wall to produce an anvil effect, you're going to have a lot of bounce and recoil reducing the blow. Like I said before, it's certainly possible. I'm just not seeing it. More likely the gouge came from something like a protruding axle, a shoe cleat or a pedal. Maybe even the edge of a brake caliper.

You also have a wheel there that will probably hit whatever first. I don't see a direct hit head on from the rotor happening.

Last edited by seypat; 04-15-22 at 08:45 AM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 04-15-22, 09:19 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Rotational speed and how fast it's spinning is absolutely a red herring. When I put my finger on the disk above I was in no danger because it's not really very sharp but if I fell on it, it could cut something. The cheap Tektro rotor isn't that impressively finished, the edges are not rounded at all. The situation is more akin to a hatchet. That's a lot scarier, they should go with that. But in cycling, calling something a hatchet is reserved for saddles, for some reason.

Somehow no one in motorcycle racing or mountain biking ever has this problem.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 04-15-22, 10:23 AM
Bearhawker

Bikes: '23 Devinci Hatchet Carbon Apex1 '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 ,'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 74 Posts
Airbags are obviously required. And seat belts to make sure you're positioned properly for the airbags to have maximum safety effect.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.