Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

More Froome disk bashing

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

More Froome disk bashing

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-22, 09:32 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
More Froome disk bashing

Gary Blem (Froomes mech) says disc brake performance isn’t yet where it needs to be, manufacturers forced the tech onto the peloton, and believes that Froome will reach the top again

https://road.cc/content/tech-news/fr...n-discs-292279

“Chris is not a huge fan. There’s the noise factor, it’s not super-reliable, wheel changes are way slower – so I think those are aspects that can improve."
Likes For popeye:
Old 04-27-22, 10:23 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Everybody has an opinion...
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 04-27-22, 10:31 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
The negatives are not much of a factor for us wanna-be's. It's not like I need to be super quick changing wheel or tube when even on a organized Century ride. Nor is the ever so slight more weight much of a factor for those of us not racing.

For me it was all about the dwindling selection of wheels with rim brakes. Seems very unlikely for the near term that any big technological improvements to rims and wheels will be ported to rim brake wheels just due to the lack of sales volume. So we'll be stuck with old tech, just as are those hanging on to other things from bygone days.

Froome's resistance to disc brakes might be immaterial anyway. The bikes ridden in the TdF and other tours and races must be what is currently manufactured and sold by bike manufacturer's or very soon to be available to the masses. So if the mfrs don't make bikes with rim brakes, he won't be having a bike with rim brakes to ride in the TdF.

My only gripe about discs is that I'll pay more in the long run replacing pads and rotors than I ever did on a rim brake bike.

Last edited by Iride01; 04-27-22 at 10:34 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-27-22, 11:08 AM
santambrogio

Bikes: Parlee Z0D, Mondonico Foco, Pinarello Montello

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts
I'd like to see rim brakes developed, hydraulic direct mount?

In 10,000 mile in my disk bike i've gone thru four sets of pads at $ 200 per set.
Old 04-27-22, 11:16 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by santambrogio
In 10,000 mile in my disk bike i've gone thru four sets of pads at $ 200 per set.
Both of these figures wildly differ from my experience.
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
Wheel changes are slower on average. Often costing the rider real effort to get back into the peloton and sometimes costing them the race. Many times they do bike swaps now instead. Riders offering their wheels to there team leader is often now a quite slow process. Granted, in a given race with near 200 riders, the few lost opportunities caused by disc wheel change issues is small, but more than several races have had team leaders knocked out of the running since discs by slow changes. And on most races, discs gain you zero in time advantage. Criteriums and mountain descents, yes, real advantages (and in criteriums, with the free lap for wheel changes, no cost). But all the rest of the time, there is the issue of costly lost time from flats.

I observe how long wheel changes take and the effort needed for that rider to rejoin the peloton. Been observing that since I was exposed to racing. Things are different now and it is not to the riders' advantage.
Likes For 79pmooney:
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
See? I was right all along.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-27-22, 11:43 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6957 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts

There are no disc brake pads that cost $200 per set. So don't even make that ridiculous claim.

And if you're really going through pads every 2500 miles, you are doing something very, very wrong.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-27-22, 11:47 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Since I'm not in the know, how much/how long should an average 105 level set cost/last?
Old 04-27-22, 11:56 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22586 Post(s)
Liked 8,924 Times in 4,157 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
See? I was right all along.
fixed
Likes For datlas:
Old 04-27-22, 12:10 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Since I'm not in the know, how much/how long should an average 105 level set cost/last?
Mileage depends, but 2500 miles per set is quite low - maybe if you're routinely dragging brakes down a mountain, or you're in stop-and-go on a cargo ebike, or if you're frequently riding in wet, gritty conditions.

Shimano's best pads, with the cooling fins and whatnot, are usually going to be in the neighborhood of $25-30 per pair when they're available. They haven't been available lately, but $100 per pair would be an absurd amount to fork over for them when there are third party options readily available.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 04-27-22, 12:14 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Mileage depends, but 2500 miles per set is quite low - maybe if you're routinely dragging brakes down a mountain, or you're in stop-and-go on a cargo ebike, or if you're frequently riding in wet, gritty conditions.

Shimano's best pads, with the cooling fins and whatnot, are usually going to be in the neighborhood of $25-30 per pair when they're available. They haven't been available lately, but $100 per pair would be an absurd amount to fork over for them when there are third party options readily available.
Thanks.
Old 04-27-22, 12:16 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6957 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
I live in an extremely hilly area and regularly ride my gravel bikes in dirty/muddy conditions; I generally get at least 6,000 miles from the front pads, and longer life from the rear. Note that brake pad lifespan is highly dependent on riding conditions; generally, though, the conditions that frequently wear out brake pads would, with rim brakes, wear out rims more frequently, too. So, even if a person does wear out disc brake pads pretty quickly, they may be more cost-effective than rim brakes.

And as for brake pad cost: there are NO brake disc brake pads that cost $200 even for two sets (i.e., doing both wheels at once). That is hogwash. Here is the current Amazon product page for Shimano disc brake pads, and note that even these prices are still a bit inflated due to pandemic-related shortages.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-27-22, 03:14 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 2,991 Posts
Back in the real world I still prefer disc brakes overall. One finger consistent modulation, plenty of room for wider tyres, no grinding up an expensive pair of carbon rims. Can't say I've suffered any reliability issues either. They can be a bit noisy in the wet, but I don't ride much in the wet if I can help it.
Old 04-27-22, 03:17 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts

$200/set? Get real. Even Campy pads are only $50/pair.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 04-27-22, 03:53 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts

I have to replace my pads every mile! It's $800 per pad, where are you getting deals like that?
Old 04-27-22, 04:51 PM
ZHVelo

Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts

Ah really? I did about the distance last year on disc with a lot of downhills, my cheap pads seem to hold up fine.
Old 04-27-22, 07:23 PM
seypat

Serious question to help the uninformed. Koolstop pads are the one and only when it comes to rim brakes. Are they considered the same for disc pads?

Last edited by seypat; 04-28-22 at 08:40 AM.
Old 04-27-22, 08:01 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 710 Posts
On a heavy bike, a heavy-ish rider, with little skill, dragging both brakes down frequent long steep descents in a mix of sun, fog, wind, rain, blowing sand, etc etc, i fully trashed a set of front pads in around 2,000 miles, and rears in about 4,000 miles. At $30/set that worked out to around 2 cents a mile, which i’m not going to lose sleep over, considering that the $$$$ rims are as pristine as the day they arrived.

Since then I’ve gone through them much more slowly. $200 every 2,000 miles is insane.
Old 04-27-22, 08:30 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11960 Post(s)
Liked 6,629 Times in 3,477 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
. . . Nor is the ever so slight more weight much of a factor .
*gasp*
Likes For BillyD:
Old 04-28-22, 07:02 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked 1,651 Times in 778 Posts
I believe SRAM came out with hydro rim brakes around 9 or 10 years ago, but it looks like they gave up on them in favor of discs.
Old 04-28-22, 08:25 AM
santambrogio

Bikes: Parlee Z0D, Mondonico Foco, Pinarello Montello

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Both of these figures wildly differ from my experience.
You are right, I reacted, the prices are half of what I wrote.

My first miles on disks were a disappointment, slower descents and weird feel. I'm ok with disks now, but I still get about 4,000 mile on a set of 4 pads. For road bikes a better option would be direct mount hydraulic rim brakes.
Old 04-28-22, 09:49 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
"“The biggest thing is the weight factor because now you add 300-400 grams to the bike, so where are you going to lose that weight? Ultimately, you need to lose it on the frame or the wheels. That’s it, which means you need to get super light, once again pushing the boundaries there."

"Blem also says that Froome was thinking about dropper posts long before Matej Mohorič used one to help win this year’s, Milan-San Remo."

The biggest problem with disc brakes is the weight penalty, but dropper posts are okay?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 04-28-22, 10:56 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
I don’t know… I’d rather burn through pads than my Zipps. Froome is just a retro-grouch
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 04-28-22, 11:02 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
"“The biggest thing is the weight factor because now you add 300-400 grams to the bike, so where are you going to lose that weight? Ultimately, you need to lose it on the frame or the wheels. That’s it, which means you need to get super light, once again pushing the boundaries there."

"Blem also says that Froome was thinking about dropper posts long before Matej Mohorič used one to help win this year’s, Milan-San Remo."

The biggest problem with disc brakes is the weight penalty, but dropper posts are okay?
Froome is talking racing. Disc brakes only get you to the finish line faster if there are corners you need to brake for. The rest of the time they are slower in both weight and wind resistance. Wheel changes with disc can be a race wrecker. Often after a change, especially getting a generic wheel off the neutral service support, there is disk rub and a second wheel change or bike change is needed. Teams do their best to have their cars behind their key riders but a lot isn't under their control. They have one car and often riders in both the break up the road and in the main peloton. On narrow roads, they may be unable or simply banned by race officials from passing the peloton to support riders in the break.

So, as great as disc brakes are, the risk is there that you will not be able go get a good, fast wheel change when you need it. And if other riders hear with their radios that you have just gotten a slow change, they may well send their strongest rider to the front to drive the pace at insane speed the next 10 kilometers just so you don't get back on. That slow wheel change might have just cost you 5 minutes and all chances of an overall win.

And dropper posts? OK, weight. But in the right race, it could allow you to open a gap. They might also allow the flyweights to descend fast enough to not get dropped and therefore stay with a group of strong downhill and flat ground riders. Again, minor losses going uphill in exchange for a race saver downhill. Seconds spent to prevent minutes lost.

This stuff isn't about grams, wind tunnel watts and seconds lost, it's about having gear that actually supports the rider in a race. That deals with what actually happens in races. Rim brakes and quick releases stayed around so long because in race situations (ie the flats that will probably keep happening for a few more years; light fast rubber being that important) they work really well. 20 second rear wheel changes are the norm. Rider will have a front wheel off before the support car arrives. Any wheel works. (Well, the rear derailleur will probably need a touch of adjustment after a neutral service wheel but that can be done while moving and is the same issue, disk or rim brake.)

I don't particularly care for Chris Froome, but I totally get where he's coming from. Disc brakes don't help him win races and are likely to cost him, either in crucial time or loss of a teammate at a critical moment. This could cost him far more than the 30-60 seconds he might lose braking sooner on mountain descents.
Likes For 79pmooney:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.