Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Do patched road tubes last?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Do patched road tubes last?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-22, 05:02 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I just roll them up and stick them in a cardboard box on the shelf until I accumulate a half-dozen or more:

Then I crack open a 3-gram tube of glue and see how many I can patch with it.
for me its a bottle of home brew, only then does the patching begin.
Likes For spelger:
Old 05-05-22, 05:07 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
It goes a bit further than that. Cold vulcanization is a 2 chemical process much like epoxy. The fluid has one chemical and the patch has the other. If you use vulcanizing fluid without a patch that has the matching accelerator, the vulcanizing fluid is about the same as rubber cement. Rema is the only system that I can say with certainty that uses the 2 chemical process. Most all of the others are just rubber cement.
so this is interesting, did not know tis about 2 chems. i've often wondered about using an old tube cut to pacht size for patching. guess that would not work.
Old 05-05-22, 07:01 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
A few years ago I bought bulk Rema patches and cement. Flats seem to come in groups so I'll patch in groups too. I've done 6 in the last week on various bikes. I keep using them as long as they hold air after a patch job. If the patch takes, and mine mostly do, it'll go indefinitely. Sometime they fail on first use though, and that's when I throw out the tube.
If I leave them too long I forget which are good, and the other day I found my spare tube wasn't.

I have to ask my wife if she has an empty nail polish jar to put some cement in so I can carry it around. I always found the little tubes supplied with the kits doesn't last very long and I can just fill this from the bulk container.
Old 05-05-22, 07:15 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
It goes a bit further than that. Cold vulcanization is a 2 chemical process much like epoxy. The fluid has one chemical and the patch has the other. If you use vulcanizing fluid without a patch that has the matching accelerator, the vulcanizing fluid is about the same as rubber cement. Rema is the only system that I can say with certainty that uses the 2 chemical process. Most all of the others are just rubber cement.
I have a can of the rema cement that's getting a little thick. Is there something I can put in it to thin it out?
Old 05-06-22, 06:44 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I keep patching till the valves go bad.
THis looks like a great illustration of what happens when you fix the punctured tube but do not find and remove whatever caused the puncture - multiple punctures all in the same area of the tube. This is common when the cause of punctures is damaged rim tape leaving a spoke or other sharp edge exposed. Maybe that's not what happened to 10W's tube, but this is what it looks like.

Also, I also find the valve is the limiting factor in tube lifespan - either the rubber around the base of the valve stem gets torn or damaged, or the valve otherwise gets damaged.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 05-06-22, 07:54 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2601 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
I have a can of the rema cement that's getting a little thick. Is there something I can put in it to thin it out?
1. Check the can to find out what solvent is being used. If you get some of that off Amazon, you may be able to extend the life by a year or two.

2. The solvent costs nearly as much as a new can. It's possible the Rema solids have polymerized so diluting it won't work anyway. When it gets too thick to use, it's probably cheaper to buy a new can of cement.
Old 05-06-22, 08:29 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6212 Post(s)
Liked 4,210 Times in 2,360 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
The SDS says that the solvent is naphtha. Proportion of solvent needed might be hard to judge. Mineral spirits will probably work. The low flash point, odored version would be better but is hard to find. Try a test on some before adding it to the whole can.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-06-22, 09:37 AM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Dreww10
I don't flat too often and have always had a stash of new tubes around, so when I would, I'd just put a new tube in and carry on, never giving patching a thought. Now that tubes are getting little pricier, I'm wondering if a patched tube will last, because I have several in a pile with a single small hole in each. A new tube is around $10, whereas a patch kit (like Park's) looks like it might cover 2-3 tubes for $10. But do patched tubes really last long? If they do, is there any specific kit you all would suggest for longevity?
My nickname among some of our group riders is Patches. It is not unusual for one of my tubes to have a half-dozen or more patches, and when I get a flat it is not from a failed patch. I only toss a tube when I get a hole too big to patch or a failure at the base of the valve stem. I don't keep track of tube mileage like I do for tire mileage, but it would not surprise me if I didn't have a tube on my bike right now with over 20,000 miles and 10 patches. I average around 2,000 miles between flats.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 05-06-22, 09:48 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3502 Post(s)
Liked 2,916 Times in 1,770 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
I keep patching till the valves go bad.
Seven holes in basically the exact same location? Hmmm....
Likes For smd4:
Old 05-06-22, 09:53 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I have one tube that has been patched with a Park glue less patch working fine for over 3 years. The deal is using it right.
Old 05-06-22, 10:00 AM
ClydeClydeson

Originally Posted by rydabent
I have one tube that has been patched with a Park glue less patch working fine for over 3 years. The deal is using it right.
Not sure what I am doing wrong, then - I've never had any luck with them.. I was able to get home once and found the tire flat the next morning, but that was the best outcome I have ex[perienced, while most of te time the patch fails withing a short time of application.. Funnily, I have close to 100% success rate with traditional patches, and close to 0% success rate with glueless patches. So what do I need to do to make the glueless patches work? I have the knowledge and a track record of successfully scuffing tubes and getting patches to stick, and glueless are supposed to be easier, so where am I going wrong?
Old 05-06-22, 12:27 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
Not sure what I am doing wrong, then - I've never had any luck with them.. I was able to get home once and found the tire flat the next morning, but that was the best outcome I have ex[perienced, while most of te time the patch fails withing a short time of application.. Funnily, I have close to 100% success rate with traditional patches, and close to 0% success rate with glueless patches. So what do I need to do to make the glueless patches work? I have the knowledge and a track record of successfully scuffing tubes and getting patches to stick, and glueless are supposed to be easier, so where am I going wrong?
Same here. And is it really harder to use the cement?
Old 05-06-22, 01:01 PM
ClydeClydeson

Originally Posted by zacster
That's my thought - if there is a non-zero increase in failure rate caused by using glueless vs glued, the advantage of glueless is immediately negated.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 05-06-22, 01:38 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,963 Times in 1,913 Posts
If the area is not cleaned well & not enough scuffing is done (spent sealants, oils, powders, dirt, smooth surface & such) where the toss on patch is applied, it'll have a hard time bonding.
Old 05-06-22, 02:33 PM
ClydeClydeson

Originally Posted by Troul
If the area is not cleaned well & not enough scuffing is done (spent sealants, oils, powders, dirt, smooth surface & such) where the toss on patch is applied, it'll have a hard time bonding.
The same is true for glued patches, but I have decent results with those.
Old 05-06-22, 03:07 PM
Troul 

The same is true for glued patches, but I have decent results with those.
The difference is that the glue or other applications used prior to pressing down the patch tends to dilute or dissolve enough of the contaminates to allow adhesion.
Old 05-06-22, 07:57 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,733 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
Yes. Because the tiny tube of cement is inevitably dry when you need to use it.
Old 05-08-22, 08:59 AM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

Bikes: Klein Quantum Pro, Klein Attitude, Azuki SS, Merckx AXM, Klein Quantum Race, Klein Quantum

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 87 Posts
Anyone here old enough to remember the patches you would clamp in place and bond to the tube by burning them on? There was a flammable fabric on the pack of the patch (encased in a tin form) and you would light it with a match and the heat from the burn would apparently help the bond. I can still smell them! Must have been toxic…like everything else in the early 70’s. LOL
Likes For Sonofamechanic:
Old 05-08-22, 09:34 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6212 Post(s)
Liked 4,210 Times in 2,360 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonofamechanic
Anyone here old enough to remember the patches you would clamp in place and bond to the tube by burning them on? There was a flammable fabric on the pack of the patch (encased in a tin form) and you would light it with a match and the heat from the burn would apparently help the bond. I can still smell them! Must have been toxic…like everything else in the early 70’s. LOL
No. And you probably aren’t old enough to remember them either. They were introduced in the early part of the 20th Century (about 1920). They were pretty much phased out in the 60s. Our fathers taught us to set the glue of the chemical patches on fire because they had seen the hot patches being used as kids and didn’t understand what was happening but they were wrong. I still get people telling me about setting tubes on fire because that’s what their fathers taught them to do.

Chemical…aka “cold vulcanizing…is a far better method with far more consistent results. That’s if you use the proper patch kit. 99% of patch kits available aren’t the proper patch kit.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-08-22, 09:38 AM
rydabent
Banned

The simple trick is a good scuff that you say you do, and then before putting the glueless patch on put the tire up to the size it will be when inflated. Then put the patch on, and hold it for about 30 seconds. When you let the air out the tube and patch will wrinkle up some, but that is fine.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 05-08-22, 09:40 AM
rydabent
Banned

The simple trick is a good scuff that you say you do, and then before putting the glueless patch on put the tire up to the size it will be when inflated. Then put the patch on, and hold it for about 30 seconds. When you let the air out the tube and patch will wrinkle up some, but that is fine. If the tube isnt the size it will be inflated, when you pump the tube up when installed it tears to patch loose and it will lose air.
Old 05-08-22, 02:36 PM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

Bikes: Klein Quantum Pro, Klein Attitude, Azuki SS, Merckx AXM, Klein Quantum Race, Klein Quantum

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 87 Posts
No. And you probably aren’t old enough to remember them either. They were introduced in the early part of the 20th Century (about 1920). They were pretty much phased out in the 60s.
LOL—I wish! They must have “phased out” out your way, but I grew up in West Australia and we (I) used them well into the mid 70’s. Like I posted—I can still smell them burning. My dad ran a garage so we did a lot of tires.
Old 05-08-22, 02:38 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
I'm amazed this thread is on post 47 and could get past "It depends" as the correct answer.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 05-08-22, 03:17 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2237 Post(s)
Liked 3,427 Times in 1,793 Posts
I've always been under the impression that "vulcanizing fluid" is the same thing as rubber cement. Is this wrong?

I looked it up. They aren't. But interestingly, I also read:
  • Vulcanizing cement needs heat to complete the process of adhesion

So now I am left wondering if what folks in this thread are calling vulcanizing cement is in fact rubber cement?

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 05-08-22 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-08-22, 04:01 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I've always been under the impression that "vulcanizing fluid" is the same thing as rubber cement. Is this wrong?

I looked it up. They aren't. But interestingly, I also read:
  • Vulcanizing cement needs heat to complete the process of adhesion

So now I am left wondering if what folks in this thread are calling vulcanizing cement is in fact rubber cement?
I generally just link it as vulcanizing adhesion promoter tis o be used with vulcanizing cement. rubber cement is the all-in-one. Typically, when something is an All-In-One when it once was a multipart process, it isn't going to be better than the former & might lack in other areas.
Example: JB Weld vs TIG welding. Not going to look at those being equal, even though they have "weld" in the product name.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.