Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

help with slipping saddle bag

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-23-22, 08:56 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts

Hello,
I have a tiny saddle bag (Lezyne Road Caddy https://ride.lezyne.com/products/road-caddy ) that I like. It fits nicely under the saddle. However, due to the way it is secured, it can slide down the saddle rails where it bumps into my legs when riding. I'm looking for a way to keep it as high up on the rails as possible. Any suggestions? I tried zip ties on the rails but since they flair inward on the way down it didn't work. In the pic I'm trying to keep the bag to the left and gravity is pulling it gradually to the right.

Thanks for the help

Last edited by Symox; 05-23-22 at 10:11 PM.
Old 05-23-22, 10:05 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
Gravity always wins...
Since wasn't familiar with the Lezyne Road Caddy, I took a quick peek thru google.
Most saddle bags have a strong taper from back to front, and often attach/secure to the SP.
The Road Caddy seems quite 'square' and is only secured by the one strap around the rails. Between the force of gravity and the narrowing of rails down to where they do their work, the bag will inevitably slide down (and somewhat forward). Bag is prolly wider than the saddle skirt bend, so will rub on legs and scuff up the shorts lycra... no good.
SO, how to resist the downward slide... nothing easy, light and not involved nor ugly comes to mind...
You could 'shape' some light material to fit between the rails and also resist the strap from moving forward/down, over the blocking material. ONly thing light I can immediately think if is Styrofoam - Ugly and surely will not last very long...
I would get a saddlebag with a proper taper to fit under the saddle, without extra width and will hold what you need to carry.
Road Caddy seems well intended but not very well designed nor tested out...
I know... a lot of words, without any real solutions.... sometimes it goes that way... LOL!
Ride On
Yuri
Old 05-23-22, 10:11 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Great observations. You may be right
Hopefully someone else can think of an elegant solution

Here is the product: https://ride.lezyne.com/products/road-caddy

Originally Posted by cyclezen
Gravity always wins...
Since wasn't familiar with the Lezyne Road Caddy, I took a quick peek thru google.
Most saddle bags have a strong taper from back to front, and often attach/secure to the SP.
The Road Caddy seems quite 'square' and is only secured by the one strap around the rails. Between the force of gravity and the narrowing of rails down to where they do their work, the bag will inevitably slide down (and somewhat forward). Bag is prolly wider than the saddle skirt bend, so will rub on legs and scuff up the shorts lycra... no good.
SO, how to resist the downward slide... nothing easy, light and not involved nor ugly comes to mind...
You could 'shape' some light material to fit between the rails and also resist the strap from moving forward/down, over the blocking material. ONly thing light I can immediately think if is Styrofoam - Ugly and surely will not last very long...
I would get a saddlebag with a proper taper to fit under the saddle, without extra width and will hold what you need to carry.
Road Caddy seems well intended but not very well designed nor tested out...
I know... a lot of words, without any real solutions.... sometimes it goes that way... LOL!
Ride On
Yuri
Old 05-24-22, 07:50 AM
Silver Steve

Bikes: 2106 Giant TCR / 2021 HUFFY Gravel Bike

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 15 Posts
Maybe something like this. Just remove the garmin/go pro mount...
Likes For Silver Steve:
Old 05-24-22, 12:27 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
so I very much enjoy 'McGivering', do it all the time to my motos and backpacks...
so, you could put some sort of 'stop' on each rail, to prevent the bag/strap from sliding down the rail.
could be some plastic collar OR simplest, easiest and would likely last a long time - Duct Tape.
so, I did a quick example on a saddle I had laying around - several wraps of Duct tape on each rail, at a position which holds the bag strap above the 'stop'
my example is only a few wraps, my estimate a few more would give enough 'height' to prevent the strap from sliding over the stop.
I would also use black duct tape - i used silver and magic-markered the tape for visibility...

Saddle rail stop - using Duct Tape
I expect the width would only need to be 1/4 - 3/8 wide, and the 'height' maybe 1/8 ?
easiest done with saddle off, but patience would work without removing the saddle ... easy enough to mark the rail, when the bag is in proper position...
ymmv...
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 05-24-22, 05:48 PM
Symox

Originally Posted by cyclezen
so I very much enjoy 'McGivering', do it all the time to my motos and backpacks...
so, you could put some sort of 'stop' on each rail, to prevent the bag/strap from sliding down the rail.
could be some plastic collar OR simplest, easiest and would likely last a long time - Duct Tape.
so, I did a quick example on a saddle I had laying around - several wraps of Duct tape on each rail, at a position which holds the bag strap above the 'stop'
my example is only a few wraps, my estimate a few more would give enough 'height' to prevent the strap from sliding over the stop.
I would also use black duct tape - i used silver and magic-markered the tape for visibility...

Saddle rail stop - using Duct Tape
I expect the width would only need to be 1/4 - 3/8 wide, and the 'height' maybe 1/8 ?
easiest done with saddle off, but patience would work without removing the saddle ... easy enough to mark the rail, when the bag is in proper position...
ymmv...
Ride On
Yuri
good idea. works pretty well
thanks
Old 05-25-22, 09:26 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Just buy any number of wedge bags that don't move.
Plenty are available that dont use a seatpost attachment too.

An easy and inexpensice one that never needs to be touched is Speedsleev. It comes in multiple sizes, is dead simple to attach, and it doesnt sway.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 05-26-22, 10:06 AM
mvnsnd

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts
What about a single zip-tie on each rail with a long tail pointed up, under the saddle?
Old 05-28-22, 12:11 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
The root problem is that the bag is designed to be wedged up against the seatpost &/or clamp, but is also designed I thought to be quite a bit narrower than the saddle itself -- presumably making unlikely to be hit by one's legs. At least it looks like the same type of design as my Arundel Pico (which I like a lot). IOW, it's starting position should be slid down all the way to where it's hitting either the clamp or post or both.

I suppose if you have saddle slammed all the way back though, or you have a 0 offset clamp, the bag may end up positioned peaking out in front of the wide part of the saddle where the nose taper is?

Otherwide, I'd suggest opting for a narrower vertically oriented bag (like the Arundel Medio). For Lezyne a Micro Caddy or S-Caddy.