Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Mavic Helium 1996 freehub help

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-21, 09:47 PM
Jimbo1983

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 31 Posts

Hi forums, I assure you I tried searching all of the internet and also these forums before posting this

I have one of the old Mavic wheelsets, the original Heliums. I think I need to lube the pawls but am a little unsure on how to get this freehub off. The axle has a 5mm allen-key hole at each end, the closest bit of information I could find regarding these was on an instruction manual for some newer Ksyriums, basically saying undo these after loosening the bearing tension nut one complete turn (the thing with the holes for a pin-spanner type tool). Problem is it doesn't specify whether the 5mm keys should be turned the usual way to undo, or is they are reverse threaded. It's incredibly tight, and I don't want to be like the person in one of the threads I saw who snapped the end off their axle. Is it just likely tight from being nearly 30 years old or am I doing it wrong?

It looks like the one below (not my photo though)

Old 10-27-21, 12:21 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
I've never seen anything like this be reverse threaded. I am unsurprised that it requires significant force.
Old 10-27-21, 12:40 AM
Jimbo1983

I would hope so too, I just have been unable to locate the correct tech document and until I can either find out from someone who knows, would rather not put all my strength into it
Old 10-27-21, 09:28 PM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
I had the same problem. They're not reverse threaded, And I can't remember how I got mine to break free, but I think it was just brute force. A couple things to watch for. When you pull the freehub off, pull out and turn a little, but don't just pull it off all at once. The pawls have tiny (really tiny) springs under them, and can easily bounce out and you'll never find them. Also there's a tiny washer that goes between the inner freehub bearing and the short side (drive side) of the axle. You need to make sure it's sitting on that bearing before reinstalling the freehub. I just set it on top with a bit of grease to make it stick and not fall out of place.
It's a really easy hub to service once you've done it. I can overhaul one in like 10 min. Check out hubdoctor if you need parts.
Old 10-27-21, 09:35 PM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
Don't be too surprised if that freehub doesn't want to budge too easily either. A little trick is to put a cassette lock ring on and use that for something to grab onto. I think I needed to use a channel lock and tap carefully from the back with a hammer.
Old 10-28-21, 10:05 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Old 10-28-21, 09:51 PM
Jimbo1983

Originally Posted by krakhaus
I had the same problem. They're not reverse threaded, And I can't remember how I got mine to break free, but I think it was just brute force. A couple things to watch for. When you pull the freehub off, pull out and turn a little, but don't just pull it off all at once. The pawls have tiny (really tiny) springs under them, and can easily bounce out and you'll never find them. Also there's a tiny washer that goes between the inner freehub bearing and the short side (drive side) of the axle. You need to make sure it's sitting on that bearing before reinstalling the freehub. I just set it on top with a bit of grease to make it stick and not fall out of place.
It's a really easy hub to service once you've done it. I can overhaul one in like 10 min. Check out hubdoctor if you need parts.
Cool thanks for both your posts, good information! Just hearing it from someone who has done it to that particular hub model is helpful. I'm going to borrow a longer allen key over the weekend and give it a go, and will take both bits of your advice. I recently did a pawl service on my other Mavic freehubs, both were came apart in different ways but both were a lot easier. One is on a set of Crossmax wheels, and the other on some Cosmics. It was just with this old Helium I had my doubts and wanted to be very careful
Old 10-28-21, 09:52 PM
Jimbo1983

Originally Posted by davidad
Yeah I had seen that video but because I was having trouble I wanted to make sure I was doing it right, and with the hub in that video not being the same I was concerned there might have been some difference I was unaware of. Thanks though!
Old 10-29-21, 08:57 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Try lubing it without removing it first.
You will know very quickly if it works or not.
Old 10-29-21, 10:06 AM
davidad

Originally Posted by Jimbo1983
Yeah I had seen that video but because I was having trouble I wanted to make sure I was doing it right, and with the hub in that video not being the same I was concerned there might have been some difference I was unaware of. Thanks though!
I went to the Mavic site, but they didn't go back farther than 2007. Sorry.
This is the 2007 manual with drawings: Mavic Productsheet
Old 11-03-21, 08:39 PM
Jimbo1983

Originally Posted by blamester
Try lubing it without removing it first.
You will know very quickly if it works or not.
Good suggestion, I did it a few days before and it didn't change the sound they were making so I couldn't tell if it was getting all the way in. But when I got them apart (more on that) it looks like it had gotten in, but there was some buildup on the pawls and springs that needed cleaning off.
Old 11-03-21, 08:47 PM
Jimbo1983

So I got another allen key, one of the long ones with the big handle. It made a big difference and the hub came apart pretty easily.

Everything looked in pretty good shape but a little grimy and sticky. I cleaned it up and put it back together, not losing anything in the process.

Anyway it's all back together and has a better sounding clicking noise now, thanks for all the input and suggestions!
Likes For Jimbo1983:
Old 11-06-21, 11:02 AM
davidad

Originally Posted by Jimbo1983
So I got another allen key, one of the long ones with the big handle. It made a big difference and the hub came apart pretty easily.

Everything looked in pretty good shape but a little grimy and sticky. I cleaned it up and put it back together, not losing anything in the process.

Anyway it's all back together and has a better sounding clicking noise now, thanks for all the input and suggestions!
Nice horse!
Old 11-07-21, 02:37 AM
Jimbo1983

Originally Posted by davidad
Nice horse!
Thanks! It looks orange in the picture but it's actually red, it was very bright outside.
Old 05-27-22, 02:25 PM
Balazs087

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
freehub

Hi Guys!
Hope stil someone reading this.
I have the Mavic Helium wheels, I love them and I wanted to service my freehub which I've never done so far and using a 5mm alan keys on both sides I manage to remove the wrong end (the end from the non-drive side) only that gets unscrewed and the other side remains locked, from here I have no clue how to unscrew that drive side since the other part is removed and there is no longer any place to fit the allan key...
Any hints? What am i doing wrong?
Thanks for your comments.
Old 05-27-22, 02:40 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
10mm allen key from the NDS, 5mm allen in the DS, you'll then separate the center part of the axle from the DS part of the axle. Then carefully remove the freehub. Use oil to lube, Mobil 1 works great.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 05-27-22, 02:48 PM
Balazs087

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks, unfortunately I cannot post pictures yet but after i unscrewed the end on the non-drive side i basically have a tube with a thread inside and the 10mm is still loose but even if it fit i guess it would damage the thread.