Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why aren't frame locks popular in the U.S.?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 11-10-16, 09:04 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts

Because They are not on the bike when they Buy them.

US Imports its bikes Primarily From factories in Asia, Not Europe..

Though Now TRek has some models made for both the US & EU Market in Asia, They, I see have the Mounting bosses But the Lock is Not included . If they were sending the shipment to Trek Europe via Bremerhaven or Rotterdam, then perhaps the Build specs would include the Lock..

also why us gets bare basic bikes , then sells accessories , Mudguards, Locks, Lights, chainguards, as shown above..

where Europe gets practical bikes which are Fitted out ready to Go. (and race bikes, too)

I bought a NL made Koga , It came with frame fittings for, and included, an Axa SL7 Ring Lock

I replaced it to gain the current Pin connected 1.4M Security Chain , with the current Axa Defender.

The defender Included a secure band connector to attach it to seat stays of bike. that lacked the Riv-nuts/braze ons..

so Could be retro fitted on Other Bikes lacking the Frame fittings..

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-15-16 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-10-16, 09:21 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
I love the AXA frame lock.
Two modes of operation: (1) Fast: Just the frame lock, or (2) Slower, more secure using both frame lock and integrated chain.

Most secured way to lock. Period.

As to why this is not popular in USA, but it is in Europe and Asia.
We 'Muricans just don't know any better.
I couldn't agree more. Got them on both of my Globes (which happily had the boss mounts for them, so no bands) and we lock them to each other with the cables. Or I just employ the frame lock when ducking into a store.

They're more successful in Europe because the Dutch opafiets, like my old Locomotief Populaire here, are too heavy to simply throw into the back of a truck. (I think the frame "tubes" are actually solid rods, and not hollow.)

Old 11-10-16, 09:23 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
I bought one of those disc brake locks quite some time ago and have never used it. It looked reasonable on paper but it is a solid chunk of metal so not very light. I also realized that if anyone moved the rotor or if I forgot to take it off I would instantly damage the caliper and maybe the rotor for a cost of probably $50 (Avid BB7) or worse on my Greenspeed trike which has $$$$ Hope brakes. I suspect most of us don't use frame lock because of the bulk and size. A cable lock may be less secure but I don't lock it in a high crime area or leave it for long. BTW, a thief did just what you describe to an acquaintance's bike when he leaned it against the glass at a coffee shop on the UNLV campus. As soon as he went inside, somebody hopped on it and rode away with his new bike. He never saw it again. Lesson learned.
Old 11-10-16, 09:23 AM
Philphine

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
i like the idea of one of these on a bike I'm building as a gift, but does anyone know if any of these will work/fit around a ballon tire with fender? thanks.
Old 11-10-16, 09:28 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Re: wheel lock. I agree with Thumpism: if a thief is sufficiently determined, s/he will get your bike.

That said, I prefer to lock my bike To something. if I am in a store, a thief without a car can still throw my bike on his/her shoulder and walk off with it.

I usually use a sturdy enough chain and simple combo lock for serious stops (shopping, library ... anything where I will be 1/2 hour or more.) I carry a very small, light cable lock (five minutes with a serrated steak knife) otherwise, to provide a minute or two of security if I need to buy a Gatorade or visit a rest room.
Old 11-10-16, 11:52 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
Simply locking the bike to itself does nothing to prevent someone from simply throwing the bike into the back of a truck or van. The lock can be dealt with later or if it can't be, then all every accessible part removed from the frame.
Yep, that is the big difference between the US and Europe.

I was going to bring one home with me on my last trip from the Netherlands (ABUS can be had as cheap as $15 there, far pricier here), but my card wouldn't work in the shop. Always thought it would be nice for my bar runner, which I'm not too worried about anyone actually stealing to steal, rather more stealing for a joyride.
Old 11-10-16, 12:05 PM
markjenn

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
For the times when I have my bike in sight (e.g., Starbucks), I carry a very lightweight 6' swaged cable (probably cuttable with a good-quality set of cutting pliers) and lightweight padlock. The entire thing fits in a small zip-lock in my seat bag and the long cable means it can be wrapped around most anything.

I have no pretense that it would stop anyone with serious tools who wanted to steal the bike, but it would slow them down enough I'm sure I could confront them and chase them off.

- Mark
Old 11-10-16, 12:33 PM
Z953

Bikes: '16 Specialized Tarmac Comp (5800), '10 Spec Roubaix Expert (5800), '04 Specialized Roubaix Pro (3500)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winnah!!!

Originally Posted by Darth_Firebolt
because they don't work in America. simple.
Old 11-10-16, 12:49 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
If somebody wants your bike they are going to get it. The key is to make your bike less of a target than the other guy's bike. If it's alone, locking it to itself isn't going to deter a thief. That goes for Europe to by the way. London has a BAD problem with stolen bikes, so do most big cities.

Carry a decent lock. I use a 10mm ABUS chain with a beefy padlock that is not easily picked. I carry it wrapped around my waist. It's quick (quicker than a U lock - I know, I have a good ABUS U lock to), it's simple, it's effective. Would you rather take an additional 30 seconds to lock the bike "to" something or have to replace it when it is stolen?
Old 11-10-16, 01:01 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,487 Times in 7,316 Posts
I feel left out. In close to 35 years of riding for sport, transportation and travel as an adult, often leaving my bike unlocked (I did one week-long tour without a lock, and I rarely use my lock when I bring one on tour. I have never locked my bike during a club ride.), no one has ever attempted to steal a bike from me. And I am talking about some nice bikes, including a custom IF, Surly LHT, Colnago Dream Plus, custom BF NWT and a custom Engin ti. The only time I did have a bike stolen from me was when it was inside my house while I was home and awake. Granted, I live in the 5th largest city in the U.S. Maybe that has something to do with my good fortune.
Old 11-10-16, 01:36 PM
Doug5150

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I've had people online say that the older style of frame locks would get road grit in them from the wheel and get sticky to the point that they wouldn't open or close anymore. I've never had one so I don't know about that first-hand, or if the newer ones are any better in that regard.

Why you don't see them in the US: I think it's at least two different reasons.
One is that the bikes don't come with the fittings for them.
The other is that if the locks are built decent, they probably cost quite a bit of money and so bike companies are loathe to include them as standard equipment.
Old 11-10-16, 02:23 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
For quick stops where I have my bike at sight I carry a 1m cable with combination lock. Light, no key to lose/forget, can be used on other bikes. I carry it in a trunk bag or just coiled on the handlebar.
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 11-10-16, 05:11 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
For convenience store stops I just take my bike in with me.

Never have had a problem...
Old 11-10-16, 06:44 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Those ring locks seem like a nice idea, and I've checked them out from time to time. I'd like to see one that can coexist with caliper brakes, with a combination instead of a key.

One problem in the US is that people don't like kick stands, so bikes have to be leaned against something anyway. Since I've got a kick stand, I just put a cheap cable lock around the rear wheel and seat tube. When I need higher security, then I use a more secure lock.
Old 11-10-16, 06:44 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by GeneO
The disc brake lock - I would think that a thief wouldn't notice it and would trash your bike attempting to steal it.
+1

You don't need a fancy disc brake lock but a simple cable would do the trick. If the thief doesn't see the lock, he'll rip out your spokes trying to make an easy getaway.
Old 11-10-16, 06:59 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by howardv
Neighbor recently had their bike stolen while they were buying water at 7-11. They had leaned their bike against the glass outside and it was gone.
There's a 7-11 that allows me to bring the bike inside. I always leave it right by the entrance so it's much safer than this lock. There are other 7-11 stores that won't allow me to bring the bike inside. Guess which ones I visit the most?
Old 11-11-16, 12:56 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts

I use one like this. All it does is help keep honest people honest.
You could 'almost' cut the cable with a strong pair of scissors.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 11-13-16, 06:03 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5989 Post(s)
Liked 954 Times in 728 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
I love the AXA frame lock.
Two modes of operation: (1) Fast: Just the frame lock, or (2) Slower, more secure using both frame lock and integrated chain.

Most secured way to lock. Period.

As to why this is not popular in USA, but it is in Europe and Asia.
We 'Muricans just don't know any better.
True, the frame lock or 0-lock or what you call it here in the Netherlands is just called a lock or a bikelock. Everybody has one, together with other locks, insertable cables or not. For a quick visit in a safe area it's the best, takes less than a second to lock.

I have one with integrated chain, and it's a very good chain. But the important thing is to know to what kind of thief to defend. There are thiefs that break the lock on the spot, and there are thiefs who pick up the bike locked and break the lock later. Against the latter, a flimsy cable lock that attaches the bike to a solid object will do, for the thiefs who break the lock before taking the bike an AXA or ASUS frame lock will generally take too much time and noise to break.

Think like a thief and make sure your bike is not the most attractive to steal.
Old 11-13-16, 07:36 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Consider not puttin any device through spokes only or brake hole. If even the bike falls over you now have significant damage?

Lock Strategy
Old 11-13-16, 10:55 AM
fietsbob
Banned

ah bystander theories... if you lock your bike up to something solid, it does not fall over + use kickstands ..

1.4M chain reaches around the F wheel, a post or bike rack , then snaps in the lock + the wheel lock .. keeps it from quick theft.

But the real reason is They are leaving things off so the Price tag is Lower.

then the customer pays for accessories at point of sale that they want and are willing to pay for.

Bikes are still Not a part of every day urban Life in the US like Germany & Denmark and NL

there the bikes are shipped loaded with Lights locks mudguards racks ..

I f you want a Race Bike . that is another product line of the Shops.

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-13-16 at 02:40 PM.
Old 11-13-16, 12:07 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by ijsbrand
Same reason as why bikes do not come with tenders, luggage carriers, or lights pre-installed. The olde bike seen just as sports equipment versus bike as a serious and useful means of daily transport conundrum.

How many bikes come with their chains protected against the weather in a standard encasing?
This is it exactly... the bikes as toys mentality.

While in Finland, I noticed that the majority of bikes on the street and being offered at bike shops had locks, racks, fenders, lights and "skirt protectors" for the back wheels all as standard equipment... the options were: single speed, three speed, or real derailleur.

You could order a Trek or other "American Style" bike, but the bikes in use, and on the shop floor were robust utility bikes.
Old 11-13-16, 12:13 PM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Because US Imports its bikes Primarily From factories in Asia, Not Europe..
That really has little to do with why US bikes do not have frame locks; however, in China nearly all bikes have frame locks. That being said, the typical bike used in China is not exported to the US. What we consider to be "big-box" grade in the US would be mid grade in China.

When in China it is considered odd that I want to lock my Bicycle to something. Quite frequently there really is nothing suitable to lock to.
Old 11-13-16, 12:14 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by rmfnla
For convenience store stops I just take my bike in with me.

Never have had a problem...
About 30 years ago I would just flip the QR on the front rear wheel and throw the RD shifter all the way down... so the chain would try to go to the smallest cog... Anyone just jumping on the bike would instantly jam it... have to get off, and fix those things before riding off.

Since I knew it was like that, it was just a matter of me remembering to put the QR back and the shifter back before riding... and yeah, I forgot once or twice... and it showed me how it all worked.

But I would never do this if the bike was out of sight... this was just enough to stop someone from jumping on and riding off and had to be "enforced" by my quick response.
Old 11-13-16, 02:31 PM
fietsbob
Banned

The Asian factories do as their Importer customers want , so the real answer Lies with the US bike companys ,

Really want to Know ?

and not just go passive & ask this forum who are all spectators in the bleachers , not players in the Industry.

Or, how many here are Product Managers for a Large US Bike company?
Do speak up and say so.

Ask each of them one By One [Interbike has a Paid admission day at the Industry Trade Show for the general Public, Now]

But any how thanks for the amusement its not even Winter Yet

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-15-16 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11-13-16, 11:46 PM
RockstarBruski

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting idea for frame lock. I guess I would use that if I didn't have my normal lock on me which is a brinks 15' cable that I bought on amazon at
https://www.amazon.com/Brinks-165-38...ave+Loop+Cable
and this heavier duty setable Masterlock at
https://www.amazon.com/MasterLock-11...nation+padlock

I weave the cable through the entire bike, seat, wheels, frame, etc.
I also have a thick U lock I can use if needed and usually have my panniers (saddle bags) that I throw all my locking stuff into so it's with me but it does add weight but then again I need the extra exercise.

But with all that said I've heard that any locks can be cut with a portable battery powered angle grinder which will make a lot of noise and hopefully if people are walking by would confront the person cutting it off but not always

I'd be happy to find a really good gps tracker that has a longer battery that can be put in my bike tube so I could easily find my bike if it were stolen but not sure if any good ones exist or not?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.