Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Neck pain while descending, handlebar solution?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 01-23-22, 02:39 PM
Gyro_T

Bikes: 1974 Jack Davis, Zeus Competition, Bridgestone MB2, Kona Rove Ti 1 X 11, Salsa Fargo Ti

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

I got a Salsa Fargo Ti 8 years ago. It was surprisingly upright for a drop bar bike and I did fine on it for quite a while. Now, I am assured of neck pain while descending after even just a few minutes. I am considering changing to a Jones bar with the 2.5" rise, or anything that will get my head in a more favorable orientation with my cervical spine. Of course, that will involve brake levers, and shifters too, but I am prepared to do what it takes. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Old 01-23-22, 06:49 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4311 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,601 Posts
Liberal applications of prophylactic liniments to the neck.
Bonus - you'll smell like a giant tic-tack.

Old 01-23-22, 08:35 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Flatten your back: https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...discovery.html

Then try strengthening your neck of course.
Old 01-23-22, 08:42 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
where is the pain? What is the nature of the pain? Sore muscles? Radiating or shooting?

C3-7 are messed up on my neck and I GET neck pain. I can ride a little bit with Nitto Moustache bars and and elevated gooseneck stem, not exactly a Dutch bike position but still quite upright.....something to consider.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 01-23-22, 10:08 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts
See a physical therapist for neck strengthening exercises. You said anything.

Old 01-23-22, 10:25 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
Jones H-bar is a solid choice. Another option is the North Road/Albatross touring bar.

Otto
Old 01-24-22, 12:24 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Jumping from a drop bar to a Jones is an abrupt and dramatic change. I tried it and went back. Maybe see what you can do with different stem dimensions or a riser drop bar first?
Old 01-24-22, 10:21 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
In addition to the other replies, make certain your helmet isn't obscuring your forward vision when your are leaned over and aero.

First time I experienced this all I had to do was remove the visor from my helmet. Some helmets come lower on the brow than others. Some you can more easily adjust that with the straps and other features to fit it to your head.

If when you turn your eyes up, the helmet blocks your view, then you probably need another helmet that doesn't block so much.

While riser bars and other stuff can help you get more upright. At some point you get too high for that model and geometry bike and you just look ridiculous. Before you get to that point, consider getting a bike with more stack that will give you the position you might want without the ugliness.

Last edited by Iride01; 01-24-22 at 10:24 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 01-24-22, 11:01 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
As a rider with chronic neck, spinal column issues, it really is an ongoing process. After spinal fusion at C5/C6 in 2007, it was a long process finding comfort for longer rides. A fair portion of that was just time of recovery, a lot of it was trial and error trying to use small changes to get, at least, a good compromise. My issues/symptoms might be quite similar to yours, but my methods and results are likely to be different from yours. I wound up going back to a lower drop bar with a stem 10 to 20 mm shorter. Over the last 3 years I have shortened the reach a bit more. The other important thing for me is to change hands and body position frequently, including getting off of the bike more.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 01-24-22, 11:33 AM
Gyro_T

Bikes: 1974 Jack Davis, Zeus Competition, Bridgestone MB2, Kona Rove Ti 1 X 11, Salsa Fargo Ti

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I have a herniated disc and aching pain with pins and needles in my left arm. Some loss of sensation and a little strength loss as well. I always flip my visor up when descending and that helps a little but not nearly enough. The arm symptoms just started 10 days ago and I can't ride at all at the moment. Seeing my regular doctor on Wednesday. This point on my neck vertebrae have been a problem for several years, but now it is suddenly much worse.

Last edited by Gyro_T; 01-24-22 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-24-22, 01:39 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts
My final suggestion is to treat the cause and not the symptoms. Find out why it is occurring and get that fixed rather the bandaid approach - unless you already know why or have been already a negative diagnosis, or can’t afford to.

Old 01-24-22, 02:32 PM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by Gyro_T
I have a herniated disc and aching pain with pins and needles in my left arm. Some loss of sensation and a little strength loss as well. I always flip my visor up when descending and that helps a little but not nearly enough. The arm symptoms just started 10 days ago and I can't ride at all at the moment. Seeing my regular doctor on Wednesday. This point on my neck vertebrae have been a problem for several years, but now it is suddenly much worse.
I was there 6 years ago. If your family doctor refers you to a Neuro, go. Conservative treatments start at NSAIDs. cortisone, PT, pain mgt (shots and/or ablation) and of course there is surgery. I would not continue to aggravate it at this point in time. You need a careful workup and some suggested treatments, weakness in the arm from the nerve impingement (probably C5/6) is not a sign to ignore, IMHO. GL
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 01-24-22, 10:18 PM
Gyro_T

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions to all. As a matter of fact, thought I do know why. A physically demanding career for 40 years, on top of being a farmer, and an active life style. Just plain wore out and trying to make the best of it.
Likes For Gyro_T:
Old 01-25-22, 04:31 AM
GhostRider62

Thanks for the suggestions to all. As a matter of fact, thought I do know why. A physically demanding career for 40 years, on top of being a farmer, and an active life style. Just plain wore out and trying to make the best of it.
Don't despair, just get medical help. I went from not being able to lift a coffee cup to being able to ride in a somewhat upright position although I mostly ride a recumbent. I ignored my initial symptoms and was in a real mess for a couple years. (I elected not to undergo the knife.)
Old 01-25-22, 12:39 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,781 Times in 2,206 Posts
I have learned to direct my eyeballs at my eyebrows and then focus down the road.
Old 01-25-22, 02:05 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 484 Posts
I am surprised that nobody has suggested that you go to an older, experienced bike fitter. It may well be that your saddle is too far forward which will put far too much weight on your hands, which often results in neck pain due to the stress of supporting yourself being channeled up your arms and shoulders to your neck and then down your spine. Going downhill only exacerbates this problem. You may be trying to fix the problem via the handlebars when the true problem is your fore-aft weight distribution on the bike that can only be fixed by moving the saddle.

Of course, if you move the saddle back then you may need to purchase a shorter stem to compensate.
Old 01-30-22, 10:03 PM
Gyro_T

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Really nice Mondia!
Old 02-01-22, 03:25 PM
LeeG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
That doesn’t quite make sense. Cycling for 8 yrs and now and all of a sudden you have neck pain on descents because of a physically demanding career for 40 yrs. There really isn’t enough to go by. Have you started cycling after a hiatus? Was there a recent injury? Is it a particular descent? Are you not warmed up? Did you get new glasses? Do you scrunch your face up a lot? Are you dressed warm enough? Like cfb posture would be my first check but I’d look at what’s changed between no neck pain and neck pain.
Old 02-01-22, 06:39 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Well, there's always recumbents if you can't find any other good solution. Of course, you'd have to figure out which recumbent position didn't hurt, too, because I'm sure some of them would.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 02-01-22, 10:52 PM
Gyro_T

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Well, there's always recumbents if you can't find any other good solution. Of course, you'd have to figure out which recumbent position didn't hurt, too, because I'm sure some of them would.
Thanks, pretty sure there is a recumbent in my future, but I'm trying to buy a little more time.
Old 02-02-22, 05:15 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by LeeG
That doesn’t quite make sense. Cycling for 8 yrs and now and all of a sudden you have neck pain on descents because of a physically demanding career for 40 yrs. There really isn’t enough to go by. Have you started cycling after a hiatus? Was there a recent injury? Is it a particular descent? Are you not warmed up? Did you get new glasses? Do you scrunch your face up a lot? Are you dressed warm enough? Like cfb posture would be my first check but I’d look at what’s changed between no neck pain and neck pain.
OP's saga makes no sense to you because you have not experienced what is causing his pain.

My awareness of mine came on suddenly. I kept dropping espresso cups on my routine stop at 40 miles on a training ride. Then, the radiating pain and weakness would not go away. Fit has zero part of it. It is impinged cervical nerves resulting in numb and weak left hand, arm, shoulder, neck pain, etc. Years of farming undoubtedly put stress on his neck and father time doesn't help either. Descending aggravates the nerves more than sitting up climbing.

I can ride a recumbent. After many years of treatments (no surgery), I can ride a bike in more upright position. Hopefully, OP can get resolution w/o going down the recumbent path, but it isn't a bad riding solution to what can be an intractable medical issue. Of course, I may be wrong......but I doubt it.
Old 02-03-22, 06:36 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Whenever I have not been riding for a long period of time I have had to relearn to relax my shoulder muscles to avoid neck pain. With older bike helmets I needed to use a box cutter knife to trim away part of the foam that blocked my view of the road ahead.

Part of the problem is having ones shoulders hunched forward. Do this while sitting in a chair and then consciously bring your shoulders back as far as you can and feel the difference. There are simple exercises using a rubber band or strip or even some surgical tubing (found at fishing supply places) to strengthen the muscles and these work and the cost is minimal and they pack for travel.
Old 02-07-22, 01:27 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
For years, since a 2001 wreck, I've had chronic pain from damaged C1-C2. Recently a full spinal scan showed stenosis throughout the entire neck. So it's not likely to improve, and I'm hesitant to have surgery, even if we weren't still in a pandemic with limited access to non-essential surgery.

Oddly, in experimenting with my drop bar road bikes and hybrids with riser bars, I've found that saddle to bar height isn't as critical as my neck angle. A few years ago I tried shorter 90mm stems, which were superficially comfortable but made handling twitchy at speed on curves with imperfect pavement. So I tried longer stems. Turns out the combination of 110-120mm stems with compact drops (FSA Omega, Soma Hwy 1) with bar height an inch or so below saddle height put my neck at a comfortable angle.

And my favorite hybrid with albatross swept bars at saddle height is less comfortable. It puts my neck at an angle where I get sharp pains with every rough patch of road. I'm going to try more supple tires first (Conti Contact Speed II are the opposite of supple), but I might lower the quill stem, or flip the bars like North Road bars on a path racer.