Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Don't Be An Idiot

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Don't Be An Idiot

Old 04-13-22, 05:44 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Roughstuff
I rarely filter. Why do I want to pass cars/trucks/etc only to have them pass me again?

Speaking just for myself, it's the best strategy I have for getting out of every one's blind spot at an intersection where taking the lane isn't a good option. Done right, getting passed is a non-event for the passer and the passed, so I don't care if it happens once or twice.
Old 04-13-22, 06:08 AM
theblackbullet

Bikes: I don't even

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 77 Posts
.5 a mlie at 20mph takes 1:30. .5 mile at 35mph takes 1:09. But since the cars were all backed up it'd take them time to get up to speed. I like that this is causing such a rise in people over probably a 10-15 second delay maximum. Other cars cause way greater delays on my daily commute. I don't think I'm going to go post a thread on carforums complaining about the 15 additional minutes I spent in traffic yesterday due to cagers though.
Likes For theblackbullet:
Old 04-13-22, 07:07 AM
starkmojo
Old and in the way.

Bikes: Jamis Renegade and Kona Jake

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
I generally operate under the assumption that cyclists and motorcyclists are doing their best to stay alive in a world of texting, burger chomping SUV drivers and my job driving a car is not to hit them (or anyone else) and not nit pick their decision process. FWIW I would totally filter that intersection, cross the tracks and stay right as practicable. I don’t want to get rear ended by someone who forgets to keep pressure on the left pedal while texting (this happened to me on a motorcycle, where filtering to the right isn’t an option, so now I stop far enough back to ride out if the car behind me suddenly starts rolling) on a bike I can filter right, so I do.
Likes For starkmojo:
Old 06-15-22, 08:48 AM
macstuff 

Bikes: A Blue One and 2 Green One's, then there's the Yellow one. And oh, yeah, a Black One. Did I mention the Red One?

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by JW Fas
Ah yes, the classic "I can't form a cogent argument, so I'm going to attack the opponent personally" approach.
"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off for him."

You say the problem is lycra-clad cyclists riding $5000 bikes, but you completely ignore the Titleist-ball-cap-wearing BMW and Audi drivers of which there are WAY more on public roads. Moreover, you seem to lump all forms of entitlement into one negative connotation. There are, however, many entitlements granted to people by the written statute. If a cyclist is legally entitled to ride on a public road in a position deemed to maximize their safety, they're not a pr1ck for doing so.

Haven't been here for awhile, so lets stir it up.
It was actually a reply based in the topic of this thread. "Dont be an idiot."
Pretentia always brings out the best in me. and LiveDarkLion is a bag full.

Im actually retired since 45yo and bike 20 miles each day to volunteer at a community bike outreach. I see all kinds of bikes from every angle, and people too.
I've participated in 2 bike distance gatherings so far this year with another big one coming up in a few weeks. I own a dozen bikes, all for a different purpose and all expensive to own.
I dont mention these things in general terms, as they have little bearing on bicycle discussions other than to claim some sort of status... which I abhor.
So if you want to throw out speculation on status and ability, go ahead. I dont get upset about armchair nonsense or otherwise.
I do love to push buttons though. I makes me smile to think that people get hot about the minutia of different angles of thought. It places them neatly.
Go ahead, continue....
Old 06-15-22, 09:26 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by macstuff

Im actually retired since 45yo and bike 20 miles each day to volunteer at a community bike outreach. I see all kinds of bikes from every angle, and people too.
I've participated in 2 bike distance gatherings so far this year with another big one coming up in a few weeks. I own a dozen bikes, all for a different purpose and all expensive to own.
I dont mention these things in general terms, as they have little bearing on bicycle discussions other than to claim some sort of status... which I abhor.
So if you want to throw out speculation on status and ability, go ahead. I dont get upset about armchair nonsense or otherwise.
I do love to push buttons though. I makes me smile to think that people get hot about the minutia of different angles of thought. It places them neatly.
Go ahead, continue....

File your post under "confessions of a pointless troll."

You are on my ignore list now. Go push someone else's buttons.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-15-22, 01:54 PM
macstuff 

Bikes: A Blue One and 2 Green One's, then there's the Yellow one. And oh, yeah, a Black One. Did I mention the Red One?

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 82 Posts
There you go,
Thank you.
Old 06-15-22, 07:28 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by macstuff

Go ahead, continue....

JoeyBike, izzat you?
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 06-15-22, 08:40 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
JoeyBike, izzat you?
Obviously, I'm not a fan of JoeyBike, but at least he does better than just engaging in moronic name calling.

Nothing worse on social media than an incompetent troll.
Old 06-16-22, 08:31 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
The side streets run to the levee as well and have little to no traffic. I always use them rather than stay on Central. Seems like the most respectful and the safest strategy.
I only filter thru traffic if I know there's plenty of space for me to be easily and safely passed by cars OR I can keep ahead of the traffic because no one's going faster than 25 mph for any reason.

P.S. those side streets doesn't look appropriate for bikes. Looks like they were meant for walking or jogging. You can probably ride a bike in there if you can keep a low speed, under 15 mph. If a pile of cars formed behind me in that street, I'd slow down and use the side streets but will go back to the road after the pile has passed.
Old 06-16-22, 09:20 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by koala logs
I only filter thru traffic if I know there's plenty of space for me to be easily and safely passed by cars OR I can keep ahead of the traffic because no one's going faster than 25 mph for any reason.

P.S. those side streets doesn't look appropriate for bikes. Looks like they were meant for walking or jogging. You can probably ride a bike in there if you can keep a low speed, under 15 mph. If a pile of cars formed behind me in that street, I'd slow down and use the side streets but will go back to the road after the pile has passed.
The side streets work great. The only thing they don't do is provide a traffic light protected crossing at Jefferson highway. It's not a big deal getting across even in rush hour traffic. I'll certainly take that over the heavier traffic and narrow shoulderless 35 MPH main road where vehicles have limited opportunities to pass.
Old 06-16-22, 09:46 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
The side streets work great. The only thing they don't do is provide a traffic light protected crossing at Jefferson highway. It's not a big deal getting across even in rush hour traffic. I'll certainly take that over the heavier traffic and narrow shoulderless 35 MPH main road where vehicles have limited opportunities to pass.
It's less than three quarters of a mile from the railroad crossing to Jefferson Highway. It's DEAD STRAIGHT with a HALF MILE passing zone. And it's far from a "MAIN ROAD." That would be Clearview Parkway a couple of blocks away.

How long does it take the light at Jefferson to change? Oh, wait, you wouldn't know because you "ALWAYS" turn at Karen.

-mr. bill
Old 06-16-22, 01:36 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
I'll occasionally slowly and very cautiously filter up at a walking type speed if I believe the road after the intersection is going to be wide enough for subsequent re-passing to be trivial, or if it looks like most of the queued up drivers are going to go a different direction at the intersection than I plan to.

But I'm much less likely to do it if I suspect that we're then going to be sharing the same narrow bit of a road where finding a safe opportunity for them to pass is going to be tricky.

It's been literally decades since I routinely biked a traditional rush hour commute though, so having a lot of drivers who want to do the same thing I do isn't a frequent occurrence. If there's going to be an infinite flow of cars regardless, filtering up or not would make little difference to the amount of passes one would experience after the intersection. Though playing tag with literally the same people may grate (the time I really remember that, it was a city bus I kept having to pass on the traffic side at its stops, only to have it re-pass me just before its next one...)
Old 06-19-22, 08:38 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
Filtering in the double yellow is generally way safer than someone who hasn’t tried it might think. You have more outs.
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 06-21-22, 01:34 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Nothing worse on social media than an incompetent troll.
He certainly does like to pontificate. Maybe overcompensating for something/filling a void.
Old 06-23-22, 09:02 PM
Roll123

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
As a cyclist, I can be treated based on the drivers' previous experiences with other cyclists. Explains seemingly unwarranted aggression. I have more to lose in the deal against a bitter motorist.
Old 06-24-22, 09:09 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Roll123
As a cyclist, I can be treated based on the drivers' previous experiences with other cyclists. Explains seemingly unwarranted aggression. I have more to lose in the deal against a bitter motorist.

I think this has the causation backwards--people remember otherwise unremarkable experiences with cyclists because it fits their "bitter" preconceptions about cyclists. Meantime, they won't recall several instances where they were more seriously inconvenienced or endangered by other drivers. We're just playing along with drivers' confirmation biases when we buy into this "cyclists giving other cyclists a bad image" nonsense.

I agree I am threatened by drivers' unwarranted aggression, but aggressive drivers are responsible for that. Why are we crediting their obvious BS excuse for objectively horrible and dangerous behavior?

People are just assuming there's any connection between someone riding like an idiot and road rage incidents in otherwise unrelated situations. As far as I'm concerned, it's a complete non sequitur.