Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I yelled at a cyclist, today.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I yelled at a cyclist, today.

Old 05-06-22, 09:03 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Italian driver and cyclist both yelling and gesticulating with both hands.

What could go wrong.

(wife and family are Italian and hands/arms flail when excited)
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 05-06-22, 09:04 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle

The only person being dangerous is the one choosing to be dangerous, and in the OP's case it's the driver. It's always the driver choosing to do something dangerous.
As stated, the OP passed when it was safe to do so. He was not doing anything dangerous.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-06-22, 09:08 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Happens all the time on the MUP, and I either request they let me pass or wait it out depending on why they may be traveling in the manner they are. I am essentially infinitely patient if there's a child involved. I don't start screaming or whatever the vocal equivalent of honking is.
yup

Last edited by rumrunn6; 05-09-22 at 11:43 AM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 05-06-22, 09:09 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,297 Times in 7,230 Posts
It's always the driver choosing to do something dangerous.
Uncorrect. Just yesterday a woman came pedaling toward me going the wrong way on a one-way street a couple of blocks from my house. I pulled as far left as I could and stopped the car until she passed.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-06-22, 09:11 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Italian driver and cyclist both yelling and gesticulating with both hands.

What could go wrong.

(wife and family are Italian and hands/arms flail when excited)
Vafongool!
Old 05-06-22, 09:11 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by nodnerb
I'm with the OP on this one. If there is a Bike lane and someone is taking up an entire vehicle lane instead, whether it is legal or not, is pretty ignorant. It is illegal for cars to drive in the bike lane but apparently it's ok for a biker to ignore the bike lane and block the entire lane making cars go around into oncoming traffic. I agree that it makes things more dangerous and more inconvenient for all involved. I had a similar situation where I was the honker and the biker flipped me the bird as well. Only time in my 30+ years of driving I had ever honked at a biker, because I had never seen one so ignorant. Point is to SHARE the road, not hog it because you can. That is the whole reason bikers get a bad rap in the first place, by being ignorant twats like that. Someday that biker will get splattered on the road either by an inattentive driver or an angry driver, and rightfully so IMO. Or cause a head on collision.

Do you realize you just said it would be "rightful" for someone to intentionally splatter that rider?

Honking for any reason except for warning is a hostile act. I will flip you off if you honk at me. I don't care if your sensibilities were offended by having to slow down a little bit.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-06-22, 09:12 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Once the grade cooled out I found a place to pull off the road so anyone behind me could pass.
yup sometimes you gotta let the truck pass. wasn't using a mirror but I heard it coming & it sounded big. since the road was so narrow, I just bailed to let it by

Last edited by rumrunn6; 05-06-22 at 09:15 AM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
FWIW, the question I asked is really intended to be a question. In my case I would feel frustrated. I would also think that the 10 mph cyclist was being, I'll call it "inappropriate." How I would respond or not is another matter. I do find it hard to believe that most people would be fine with the situation. To clarify....my response is specific to the road and not MUPs which are multiple use.
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Same here. There are certain situations in which it's safer for me to take the lane and prevent an impatient motorist from endangering me. It's rare, but I do it occasionally. And it's legal in my state.
Video reminds me of the time I was on a descent on a fully loaded bike in MT when there was someone behind me in an RV. Only a small shoulder, if you could call it that. Some tuurns, so I am not sure that he wanted to pass me, but I wasn't going to give him the opportunity to try.. Once the grade cooled out I found a place to pull off the road so anyone behind me could pass.
Perfect example.

If that RV tried to pass you on a curve, and met an oncoming vehicle, the driver would've swerved right into you.
Old 05-06-22, 09:18 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
I would guess that unless you are totally car free or have absolutely no time constraints put on your life, no appointments or places where you need to go, there are instances when a cyclist or a group of cyclists have impeded your progress as a motorist.

I have never yelled, or thought of yelling, at a cyclist, but I have thought about how non-cycling motorists would feel when I’m the one on the bike. It is a good time to reflect on how much of the road do I want to legally claim. In a day and age where motorists hate cyclists but will go to whatever lengths, including getting in an accident to avoid hitting a dog, I realize that I’ve dropped down another notch, or two, on the food chain.

John
Old 05-06-22, 09:18 AM
rumrunn6

Vafongool!
my grandparents often exclaimed "oofa!" but this comes close

Old 05-06-22, 09:25 AM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 600 Times in 340 Posts
Your concern wasn't safety, that's a rationalization. If he's on the road legally (was he required to ride in the side lane?) "you might hurt someone by angering a driver so bad that the driver goes out of their way to hit a cyclist who's riding legally" is such absurd speculation that it's amazing anyone spouts this. You were mad because he slowed you down and you made up an excuse to tell him off.

You do understand that drivers yelling out of car windows is one of the major reasons cyclists hate drivers, right? I'm conditioned from all of the random yelling and "get on the sidewalk" type "advice" to flip off almost everyone who does this. Where I ride, it's either just random insults, "boo", stupid crap like telling me to ride on the far right of a right turn lane when I'm going straight, or just incomprehensible gibberish.
I concede your criticism due to your ignorance of the traffic code.
Old 05-06-22, 09:27 AM
MarcusT

Doesn't matter how I feel. I slow down and pass only when safe to do so.

The only person being dangerous is the one choosing to be dangerous, and in the OP's case it's the driver. It's always the driver choosing to do something dangerous.

If you don't want to encounter other road users, stay at home.
You are not entitled to go as fast as you want.
Not sure you read the OP completely
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 05-06-22, 09:28 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
FWIW, the question I asked is really intended to be a question. In my case I would feel frustrated. I would also think that the 10 mph cyclist was being, I'll call it "inappropriate." How I would respond or not is another matter. I do find it hard to believe that most people would be fine with the situation. To clarify....my response is specific to the road and not MUPs which are multiple use.
Well, your question was if we thought the OP was being impatient how would we feel about....? If the answer is "impatient", what does that matter?
If I ride in public, I encounter all sorts of people doing things inconvenient to me. I generally don't get impolite about it unless I think there's a real safety issue (I yelled at someone for close-passing a child, for example) or the person has deliberately done something intentionally to bug me.
Old 05-06-22, 09:29 AM
MarcusT

For all those who defend all cyclists regardless of their behaviour, let me remind you of a legendary epitaph:
Here lies the body of Johnathon O'Day
He died maintaining his right of way
His way was clear
His will was strong
But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 05-06-22, 09:37 AM
nodnerb

Bikes: 2022 Marin Team Marin 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 10 Posts
Do you realize you just said it would be "rightful" for someone to intentionally splatter that rider?

Honking for any reason except for warning is a hostile act. I will flip you off if you honk at me. I don't care if your sensibilities were offended by having to slow down a little bit.
Honking is a hostile act? LOLOLOLOLOL Wow I guess cars should be banned for having horns and inciting violence. Around here, a quick chirp of the horn is a totally common and accepted way to warn someone you are there, or even to let someone know you saw them and let them into your lane or what have you (bike or car). Laying on the horn is another story.
Either way, you have no idea what particular situation I was in, or the OP. If you were biking at 4 km hour, middle of the only lane in rush hour traffic for blocks on end with a dozen cars behind you while there is a bike lane right beside, and flipping off all the cars that honk, I'd be happy to see you get mowed down, Karen. (Although no one should ever do that)

Last edited by nodnerb; 05-06-22 at 10:06 AM.
Likes For nodnerb:
Old 05-06-22, 09:38 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
I have a question for those who think the OP was just being impatient. If you were riding your bike at 20 mph and came upon a cyclist who was riding at 10 mph and in such a way as to make it impossible for you to pass, how would you feel?
Why this question is even being asked is a mystery to me. I would feel like I would if driving a vehicle, wait until it is clear and safe to pass. It happens frequently. My wellness being the main reason, along with the wellness of the others. Whether operating a vehicle or a bicycle, impatience and being unsafe is the same.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 05-06-22, 09:44 AM
indyfabz

I wonder if the A&S forum regulars know what they are missing up in this joint.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-06-22, 09:46 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 258 Posts
If a car's horn was as loud inside the car, as it is outside, no motorist would use them.

There's a deference to all things "car". We ask children to act like adults, wearing high-vis clothing, helmets, "be seen be safe" and so on, just so adults in cars can act like children.
Old 05-06-22, 09:46 AM
Koyote

Happens all the time on the MUP, and I either request they let me pass or wait it out depending on why they may be traveling in the manner they are. I am essentially infinitely patient if there's a child involved. I don't start screaming or whatever the vocal equivalent of honking is.
Yup. On a MUP, you should expect children, dogs, strollers, hovercraft, whatever. Gotta go in with a different (more patient) attitude.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-06-22, 09:47 AM
GhostRider62

Anyone else do much driving in Italy?

Impatience and generally not following any rules are the rule of the day there. I would think at least three times before taking the lane on my bike in Italy, twice in Alabama, once in Pennsyltucky, and I own it all in Seattle.
Old 05-06-22, 09:50 AM
Koyote

Impatience and generally not following any rules are the rule of the day there. I would think at least three times before taking the lane on my bike in Italy, twice in Alabama, once in Pennsyltucky, and I own it all in Seattle.
Actually, the drivers are pretty good around here. Though I am in Amish country, so don't deal with as many motorists.
Old 05-06-22, 09:52 AM
nodnerb

Bikes: 2022 Marin Team Marin 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 10 Posts

Driving a car in Italy is scary enough, never mind biking.
Likes For nodnerb:
Old 05-06-22, 09:52 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by Koyote
Actually, the drivers are pretty good around here. Though I am in Amish country, so don't deal with as many motorists.
You are not in another country but in another world. I was born in PA and ride a lot there.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 05-06-22, 09:56 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by nodnerb
Driving a car in Italy is scary enough, never mind biking.
Never attack an Italian driver's manhood passing in a German sedan, they will chase you down in that old beat up Fiat all the way over the Alps.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.