Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I yelled at a cyclist, today.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I yelled at a cyclist, today.

Old 05-06-22, 06:51 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I agree that there are certain situations where it's necessary and safer for a cyclist to take a lane but that's not what we are discussing here...We're talking about cyclists who take a lane and impede traffic simply because they have a big ego and are trying to prove their rights. It's almost as if their ride is a protest against all the drivers.
Gee, you're right, of course. I'm terribly sorry. I mean, bf threads absolutely never stray from the original topic.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-06-22, 06:53 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by nodnerb
Death to the inconsiderate
Interesting.
Old 05-06-22, 07:04 PM
Cramic

Bikes: Giant TCR Pro Disk 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 22 Posts
Courtesy goes both ways and it sounds like the OP was correct to give this entitled cyclist a word.

Where I live two cyclists are legally allowed to cycle side by side on any road, ie. taking up the whole lane. When quiet I’ll do just that whilst being mindful of what’s behind and moving single file when a car approaches.

To the people disagreeing with the OP, at what point would you get frustrated? A cyclist is unnecessarily taking up a lane at 10mph below the speed limit? 15mph? 20mph? Just stood there stationary for no good reason?

I’m sure there would come a point so from your high horses you’re criticising the OP for drawing a line in a different place to you.

And hitting the horn is an aggressive act? I guess so, in the same way words are violence.
Likes For Cramic:
Old 05-06-22, 07:38 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3867 Post(s)
Liked 6,452 Times in 3,192 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
... if I feel unsafe to stay in the bike lane, I can legally "take the lane."
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Why do you feel unsafe in the bike lane? All of them or just some of them?
smh.

​​​​​​​Did you miss the qualifier of that sentence? It was "if..."

Do I really need to explain this? Don't all cyclists do this at some point?
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 05-06-22, 08:28 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Our club TT is on a road that has a “greenway” parallel with a 10 mph limit. Road limit is 25. I TT uphill over the car speed limit and still get knob head “why you on the road in the lane” comments.

Downhill I could probably get a ticket.

Knobs the lot.

Check the post count and topics some of the cagers in this topic have been a part of. Aka…..trolls.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 05-06-22, 08:40 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,114 Posts
Dang I must be old. I didn't understand the animosity toward basketball players and had to use the googles to find the urban dictionary definition.

Old 05-06-22, 08:59 PM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
The enlightened rider causes no mindless animosity.
Likes For venturi95:
Old 05-06-22, 09:05 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
We're five pages into this, and no one has mentioned the extraneous comma in the thread title?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-06-22, 09:10 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,283 Times in 2,941 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
We're five pages into this, and no one has mentioned the extraneous comma in the thread title?
Everyone has to reach an agreement on the present issue before we can move on to the big problem of improper punctuation.
Old 05-06-22, 09:26 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
I yelled at one once, in Denver. Blocking traffic, totally thought the road was his, looking like a skit from Portlandia.

I tried giving him a honk and he tried the aggro single speed shtick with me at a stoplight. I told him I rode more miles a year than him and for longer, that he was being a jackass, and I’d be happy to race him anytime.

He rode away, hopefully it gave him something to talk about over dinner (organic lemongrass seaweed and PBR, I assume).
Old 05-06-22, 10:22 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2564 Post(s)
Liked 5,595 Times in 2,903 Posts
I have also yelled at two cyclists riding abreast down a 1 mile winding decent holding up about 8 cars. Told them Ride single file, you are giving cyclists a bad name. The real issue is that there is enough hostility toward cyclists for absolutely no reason, so when cyclists purposefully or absentmindedly block traffic, it potentially can have ramifications for all of us by some hot head looking for revenge or show those damn bikers.

I have also yelled at cyclists while riding for running lights and stop signs in traffic for exactly the same reason. And I really don’t give a rip if you beg to differ.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-06-22, 10:45 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
I'm sure we're all very impressed with the brave motorists standing up for their right to speed unimpeded.

Honestly, I literally never see anyone anywhere riding roads in this manner except for the most rural of situations where it's very easy to negotiate your way around, but we sure get a lot of tough guys telling us about the time they told a guy off.

If I had to guess, the ratio of discourteous drivers to cyclists is something like 10,000 to 1, but boy oh boy, do the car-karens remember the cyclists.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-07-22, 02:00 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by Cramic
To the people disagreeing with the OP, at what point would you get frustrated? A cyclist is unnecessarily taking up a lane at 10mph below the speed limit? 15mph? 20mph? Just stood there stationary for no good reason?
This is just my experience, but I make a habit of counting seconds any time I'm stuck behind a cyclist. Haven't reached 30 yet. Can't say I've ever encountered a cyclist stationary in a travel lane without reason.

On a road trip last year, I found myself behind a short row of cars stuck behind a tractor, three times. Not one of the cars honked, nor did they pass dangerously close. Amazing how they seem to have patience for the larger vehicle, but not the smaller one. Almost like... bullying.
Old 05-07-22, 02:37 AM
Cramic

Bikes: Giant TCR Pro Disk 1

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
This is just my experience, but I make a habit of counting seconds any time I'm stuck behind a cyclist. Haven't reached 30 yet. Can't say I've ever encountered a cyclist stationary in a travel lane without reason.

On a road trip last year, I found myself behind a short row of cars stuck behind a tractor, three times. Not one of the cars honked, nor did they pass dangerously close. Amazing how they seem to have patience for the larger vehicle, but not the smaller one. Almost like... bullying.
The point, regards a stationary cyclist, is that there must come a point at which even the most zen of the posters on here get frustrated. 1mph? 5mph? And it demonstrates everybody is simply drawing a line at a different point.

Your tractor analogy makes no sense and anecdotal evidence is not evidence. The vast number of cars that interact with a bicycle don’t toot either. You encountered three tractors and nine cars. To imagine they’re not tooting because a tractor is a bigger vehicle than a bike is a bit silly.

Who gets tooted at? Inconsiderate users of the road.
Likes For Cramic:
Old 05-07-22, 02:50 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
The point, regards a stationary cyclist, is that there must come a point at which even the most zen of the posters on here get frustrated. 1mph? 5mph? And it demonstrates everybody is simply drawing a line at a different point.
Agreed, everybody has their own level of tolerance, but for those with a rational brain it's not a matter of how slow but rather if there is a reason to be doing so.

Your tractor analogy makes no sense and anecdotal evidence is not evidence. The vast number of cars that interact with a bicycle don’t toot either. You encountered three tractors and nine cars. To imagine they’re not tooting because a tractor is a bigger vehicle than a bike is a bit silly.
It's true that anecdotal evidence is not evidence, yet you present a fictitious situation where a cyclist stretches across a whole traffic lane stationary for no reason? Who's being silly? Glass house/throw stones and all. You might also notice that the whole point of this thread is predicated on one person's anecdotal experience.

I get tooted at sometimes, and I make every effort to stay out of the way of others (because it serves no purpose to me to hold them up needlessly, and even puts me at greater danger if I do). They still toot because they didn't see the glass, drainage grate, debris filled shoulder, etc. So who gets tooted at? People who are just trying to exist in a world filled with ignorant and selfish people.
Old 05-07-22, 03:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Look, no one is saying it's bad to feel impatient, but what gets me annoyed about these threads is that people clearly think that it's normal for drivers to express that impatience with their horns, close passing, and yelling, and it's the fault of some inconsiderate rider they encountered years before. Rolling down your window and arguing with someone while driving is moronic unsafe behavior. When people say they engage in it out of concern for the safety of others, I think the hypocrisy is obvious and should be called out. They're doing it because they're pissed off and they know they are protected by their big metal box.

I don't take the lane except where necessary (no shoulder, turning left, avoiding being to the right of a right turn lane) but I take a lot of guff from drivers who think they know what the rules are and what's supposedly "safe". They're invariably wrong on both counts.

When you use a horn to express dissatisfaction or to tell someone to get out of the way, it's the aural equivalent of " eff you". If you express your impatience and hostility on the road, you can expect to have it thrown back at you. People acting in a hostile manner on the road are making themselves and others less safe. This is not rocket science.

I do find it bizarre that people on a bike forum are bragging on their great Karen moments when they told off a cyclist.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-07-22, 05:45 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

And hitting the horn is an aggressive act? I guess so, in the same way words are violence.

​​​​​​That's just wrong.
Do I really need to explain the difference between an aggressive act and an act of violence to you? Screaming at someone is an aggressive act. Violence is a subset of aggressive acts. If I threaten you with words, I'm not committing violence, but I'm definitely being aggressive.
Old 05-07-22, 05:52 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by nodnerb
....yeah, I'd have a happy smile on my face if they got what was coming to them.
I'd get that looked at if I were you.
Old 05-07-22, 06:01 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I have also yelled at two cyclists riding abreast down a 1 mile winding decent holding up about 8 cars. Told them Ride single file, you are giving cyclists a bad name.
You should describe this situation a little more fully, because I'm having a hard time imagining a scenario, like this, where a seasoned cyclist doesn't take the lane and where you don't come out being the bigger jerk.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-07-22, 06:45 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight

They are protecting their property instead of the people. They dont see pedestrians or bikes as threats to their property. They see a farm combine as a credible threat to property damage.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 05-07-22, 08:17 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
The idea that if only all cyclists were courteous road users cars wouldn’t hate us is insidious and flawed logic. Leads to victim blaming. Is it bad to slow down traffic? Sure. But I wasn’t there and won’t blame a cyclist out of principle.

OP you should be careful telling other road users off. I used to ride with some pretty crazy people, that’s how you get your car smashed with a bike lock.
Old 05-07-22, 10:01 AM
Airfehr

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 48 Posts
Taking a bike lock to a car fight sounds like a good way to get run over. Or shot.

Fun thread where the OP calls out a cyclist for being an ass and the major response is the OP was in a cage and therefor impatient and rude.

Here is an example of a group of cyclists exercising their right to use up a 50 mph roadway. I bike here frequently. I'd say they have an elitist attitude by having no consideration for those they share the road with. I would give them a honk. The same way I would ring my bell to a group of pedestrians blocking the MUP. Most cases people have no situational awareness.
Likes For Airfehr:
Old 05-07-22, 10:26 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
I have complete respect for cyclists on the road as I am one, but when I see a behaviour that just puts everyone at risk, it's too much for me.
Road cyclist riding in the middle of the lane on a narrow road. There was wide side lane for bikes. It was impossible to pass him without getting dangerously close. When the opportunity to safely pass presented itself after about a km, I rolled down the window and let him know what I thought of his unsafe manner. He gave me the one finger salute, I yelled "stop putting lives at risk" and moved on.
My biggest concern is the safety of other cyclists, because when drivers get fed up with riders like that, it puts the safe riders in danger.
I've ridden this road hundreds of times and yes, the side lane is perfectly suited for cyclists
Wow! Who would have known so many of the world’s most peaceful and patient drivers could be found in a single thread. It’s almost as if some people can’t admit that sometimes - sometimes - a cyclist can be the jackass. Once again, the usual BF Opinion Police are in full force.

Considering that during my lifetime I’ve been both the jackass on the bike and the jackass in the car, I’ll just stick to the facts…

FACT: I wasn’t there so I can’t comment. Anything I say about the incident would be ignorant speculation.
OPINION: It’s best not to allow yourself to get stressed out to the point where you’re shouting at strangers.

BTW, location says Italy. Loved the country, culture, and people. And the food? OMG.
Likes For Kedosto:
Old 05-07-22, 11:01 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
[QUOTE=livedarklions;22498100
If I had to guess, the ratio of discourteous drivers to cyclists is something like 10,000 to 1, but boy oh boy, do the car-karens remember the cyclists.[/QUOTE]

I can only comment on where I ride and, to some extent, cyclists in my club. Based on that, in my world, for every idiot car driver there is an idiot cyclist. And, both are uncommon. It's not that big a problem where I live and ride.
Old 05-07-22, 11:12 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
I always find it interesting to read responses and then go back to the OP. Often there are responses with lots of assumptions rather than responses to what the OP actually wrote.
Likes For bruce19:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.