Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Planning on Bikepacking the Pirinexus route in Spain

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 05-16-22, 03:04 PM
illjustride

Bikes: Trek Emoda, Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 31 Posts

Hi all, I've been poking interest in Spain for many years. More in particular Girona, so I planned a 2 week trip later this year to pack my bike and fly into Barcelona with an express train to Girona to ride the Pirinexus route for three to four days. I'll be packing my gear on my gravel bike and I wanted to know if anyone has any experience riding this route and region that can offer any advice in terms of camping locations. My plan was to camp for two days on the route and the final day a nice comfy stay at a hostel or hotel before riding into Girona. I'm also trying to determine which direction of travel I should ride this route. Ideally I was thinking riding east towards the Spanish seaside. However, the big climb in that direction when riding near the French boarder seems pretty big whereas the other direction West toward Olat is a gradual climb. Either way I will be climbing, but I would love to get some insight on this route and logistics if anyone has any intel.

All advice will be greatly appreciated as I am in the midst of planning.
Old 05-17-22, 01:18 AM
CMAW 
Pining for the fjords

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 150 Posts
There's no lack of camping sites in this particular corner of Spain and archies is a great resource to help you find them (BTW, Catalonia is one of the few regions in Spain where wild camping is not prohibited). Here's a detailed report on this route: https://www.keesswart.nl/fietsreportages/Pirinexus.htm. If you're going there in summer, I'd advise you to stay clear of the coast because of mass tourism. The part into the Pyrenees (from Girona to the NW) is very nice, just take a deep breath or two and haul yourself up the Col des Ares.
Old 05-17-22, 06:44 AM
illjustride

Bikes: Trek Emoda, Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by CMAW
There's no lack of camping sites in this particular corner of Spain and archies is a great resource to help you find them (BTW, Catalonia is one of the few regions in Spain where wild camping is not prohibited). Here's a detailed report on this route: https://www.keesswart.nl/fietsreportages/Pirinexus.htm. If you're going there in summer, I'd advise you to stay clear of the coast because of mass tourism. The part into the Pyrenees (from Girona to the NW) is very nice, just take a deep breath or two and haul yourself up the Col des Ares.
Woah thanks for this! I took a look at archies website and downloaded the POI's for Spain. I then put them in Basecamp to clean up some of the POI's and overlaid it in my route. Many opportunities for camping. That you for this resource. I wonder how up to date these are and if they are at a cost or free. Either way, I can ride there and plot this all out during my planning.