Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

freewheel sprocket noise?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-22, 03:46 PM
paulmars

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

does this noise mean anything?

The bike was not used and left outside for a long time. The freewheel sprocket spun free in both directions. After removing it and dripping oil thru it in both directions it appeared to work fine. Once reinstalled it still works fine, but does make this noise when I stop peddling. With bike upside down and rear wheel spinning freely i can also fell the noise as a vibration in the frame.

Im considering rebuilding and selling this bike. Ive done this for many bikes, but this is my 1st with this issue. Everything else on bike is fine. Except that all the cables need to be replaced, which Ive done before.

When i had the rear sprocket off i cleaned and repacked the rear wheel bearings(something I have done before).

Might there be an issue with the freewheel sprocket down the road after Ive sold the bike?

Hyper Havoc 21 speed.

the noise, search u tubes for B3ge8bCQrfE
Yes while peddling you can hear a higher pitch front sprocket chain noise that I will take care of when I adjust the shifting, Im not asking about this.

tks,
paul
Old 05-26-22, 04:34 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6190 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
Let it get all gunked up on the outside and it'll probably get quieter. At least till you clean it again. Might get quieter as it wears in from being unused. However the noise is probably just the pawls inside doing their normal thing. It's not a big worry, because it's not a big wear item. As long as you are pedaling the inside of the freewheel is doing nothing whatsoever.

If it's working properly I wouldn't worry about it. Since you haven't used it in a long time it might be one of many things or a combination. Maybe you just never noticed how noisy that particular freewheel is. When you get to bikes with free hubs, you'll find some that are very noisy when you coast and some that are very quiet when you coast. Seems to be mostly a brand thing. And freewheels are relatively inexpensive to get new. And all the rusty FW's that I use to just spray lube and penetrating oil in lasted years till the bike was wanted no more.

Stick around the forums long enough and you'll see people complaining that their new bikes free hub doesn't make noise when coasting. And then you'll find other's writing in complaining their new bike's free hub makes noise when coasting. So it's just what you are use too.

Welcome to BF.
Old 05-27-22, 08:07 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
Given the amount of heavy rust on the chain I'll bet a beer that the freewheel's insides are also well rusted. And that's a "good" reason why metal rolling on metal sounds so bad. As long as the freewheel works the noise is a frustration point. But this is an indication that this bike likely has other less obvious issues brewing. Andy