Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bikes I should look at?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bikes I should look at?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-22, 06:15 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 1,551 Times in 727 Posts
Bikes I should look at?

Social Security checks started arriving and I'm going to buy a modern Di2 CF bike. I have a budget of ~ $5K. Still flipping between race and endurance because I like both. I need low gearing, lots of hills at 12% or greater.

Looking at the Trek Domane and Emonda plus the Canyon Endurace and Aeroad. I currently ride a Centurion Prestige 2 x 10 in 62cm. The main reason for looking now is the coming wave of inflation, I'd like to do this before the same bikes are $7K. Test riding is not easy with the current availability for many of the good road bikes, so I do like Canyons return policy.

What other bikes should I look at?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-28-22, 09:12 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Race fit road bikes are every bit as endurable for long rides as a endurance bike. What you get with a race fit is a more aero position that lets you accumulate energy savings so you can sprint faster at the end or ride longer.

However, if you are one that for some reason a race fit position doesn't suit you well and causes you some discomfort, then the annoyance of that will far outweigh the aero benefits. Especially on long rides.

You should check out all the brand name bikes sold in your area. Down here Specialized, Trek, Giant and Cannondale are the big common names with some Scott's being found in one shops inventory occasionally along with an occasional BMC. Though all the shops can get you many of the somewhat elite sounding names common in Europe, but they seldom have any in stock to try.
Old 05-29-22, 06:34 AM
kbreitsprecher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BTinNYC
Social Security checks started arriving and I'm going to buy a modern Di2 CF bike. I have a budget of ~ $5K. Still flipping between race and endurance because I like both. I need low gearing, lots of hills at 12% or greater.

Looking at the Trek Domane and Emonda plus the Canyon Endurace and Aeroad. I currently ride a Centurion Prestige 2 x 10 in 62cm. The main reason for looking now is the coming wave of inflation, I'd like to do this before the same bikes are $7K. Test riding is not easy with the current availability for many of the good road bikes, so I do like Canyons return policy.

Thanks in advance!
I'd look at any bikes your local shops carry. I think the Canyon is a nice bike, but with it being a direct to consumer bike, I have seen and heard stories of needing minor parts that the consumer has to buy directly and then bring to a shop(e.g a der hanger). IF you find a bike you like from a local shop, you are supporting the bike system that you will require to service it and get to know the guys you are getting the bike from. I'd almost recommend picking a shop and then trying to buy a bike they carry.

There are many nice bikes for what you are talking about wanting. Orbea, Scott, Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, Felt, all make really nice bikes.
Old 05-29-22, 02:50 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts

Thanks in advance!
Well I can say that the Canyon Endurace covers pretty much both bases. It's basically a race bike with a fractionally more relaxed geometry and a few other minor comfort tweaks (like slightly more frame clearance for wider tyres and compliant seatpost).
Old 05-29-22, 06:30 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
I really like my 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert. It isn't Di2. The current 2019 model I have isn't around anymore. They upgraded it to a Di2 bike and of course the price shot up a lot too. I bought it in Oregon at a LBS when it went on a 10% sale. That plus no sales tax in Oregon knocked off a heavy amount I would have had to pay in Washington State.
Old 05-30-22, 05:05 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 1,551 Times in 727 Posts
First world struggles continue. Tried a Scott and a BMC this weekend. No flies on either.

I'm leaning hard towards the Canyon Endurace SL 8 Aero because of value and availability. This bike comes with power meter for less than competitor's bikes without a PM, and they have my size in stock.

Big negative is the hideous green color, which puts practicality versus shallow fashion sense to a real test. Forest green. Ick.

Last edited by BTinNYC; 05-30-22 at 05:11 AM.
Old 05-30-22, 05:23 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts
deleted

Last edited by Bald Paul; 07-08-22 at 08:01 PM.
Old 05-30-22, 05:54 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I am shopping endurance bikes at this time, too. Have a look at the Cervelo Caledonia Di2.....I think it is 5K

Maybe the Cannondale Synapse with Di2 as well.
Old 05-30-22, 10:07 AM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
First world struggles continue. Tried a Scott and a BMC this weekend. No flies on either.

I'm leaning hard towards the Canyon Endurace SL 8 Aero because of value and availability. This bike comes with power meter for less than competitor's bikes without a PM, and they have my size in stock.

Big negative is the hideous green color, which puts practicality versus shallow fashion sense to a real test. Forest green. Ick.
I think that this will put my 2019 Specialized Tarmac Expert Disc out of the running since it comes in a mostly green color. (no Di2 either)
Old 05-30-22, 10:47 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 200 Posts
For that kind of money you could get a lifetime bike made of titanium. Lynskey has the R500 with disk brakes and Ultegra Di2 for only $500 over your budget. Personally I don't like electronic shifting because the batteries only last 3 to 5 years and cost at least $85 to replace, it's just another maintenance issue I don't want to be paying for; not to mention you have to plug the stuff in every so many miles, plus you save a lot of money on a new bike if you go with mechanical. Mechanical derailleurs are much simpler to work on, so much so you can do it at home or even on the road and not have to buy different tools, and electronic breakdown on the road you won't be able to fix it; biggest problem is water for electronic derailleurs, water causes a complete failure of the component where it cannot be fixed but has to be replaced, this problem is so annoying a lot riders switched back to mechanical. Like high tech cars, when something goes bad 10 years or so down the road you may not be able to find a part to fix it, that means an all new system which means large amounts of cash! This issue with finding parts is not a problem with mechanical systems. As you know, titanium will far out last carbon fiber, so if this is your retirement bike you want it to last a lifetime, which is why I bought a Lynskey, with 105 components to save money of course, and for the last 9 years it's worked flawlessly.

There are advantages to electric shifting, it's not all bad news, you can find all sorts of positive writeups about electronic shifting because the marketing forces generate that stuff, but read this article before you decide:
Get to know 7 downsides of electronic shifting; the annoying things they never tell you about | road.cc

Be wise with your money, like you said things are going to get tougher with inflation.
Old 05-30-22, 10:52 AM
GhostRider62

Ti frames crack.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 05-30-22, 04:24 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by rekmeyata
for that kind of money you could get a lifetime bike made of titanium. Lynskey has the r500 with disk brakes and ultegra di2 for only $500 over your budget. Personally i don't like electronic shifting because the batteries only last 3 to 5 years and cost at least $85 to replace, it's just another maintenance issue i don't want to be paying for; not to mention you have to plug the stuff in every so many miles, plus you save a lot of money on a new bike if you go with mechanical. Mechanical derailleurs are much simpler to work on, so much so you can do it at home or even on the road and not have to buy different tools, and electronic breakdown on the road you won't be able to fix it; biggest problem is water for electronic derailleurs, water causes a complete failure of the component where it cannot be fixed but has to be replaced, this problem is so annoying a lot riders switched back to mechanical. Like high tech cars, when something goes bad 10 years or so down the road you may not be able to find a part to fix it, that means an all new system which means large amounts of cash! This issue with finding parts is not a problem with mechanical systems. As you know, titanium will far out last carbon fiber, so if this is your retirement bike you want it to last a lifetime, which is why i bought a lynskey, with 105 components to save money of course, and for the last 9 years it's worked flawlessly.

There are advantages to electric shifting, it's not all bad news, you can find all sorts of positive writeups about electronic shifting because the marketing forces generate that stuff, but read this article before you decide:
get to know 7 downsides of electronic shifting; the annoying things they never tell you about | road.cc

be wise with your money, like you said things are going to get tougher with inflation.
wtf??
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-30-22, 04:28 PM
PeteHski

Yeah the green is a bit of an acquired taste. I went with this grey one (SL8 eTap):-

I've ridden it for just over 1000 km now and really happy with the ride and build quality. It's a fast and comfortable bike. I posted the fastest overall 100 mile time on a local hilly Sportive last weekend on it, so no complaints there! The spilt seatpost and endurance carbon bars are both very comfortable too. Loving the DT Swiss wheel set and 30 mm tubeless Contis too. Early days still, but no complaints here.

Last edited by PeteHski; 05-30-22 at 04:40 PM.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-30-22, 08:12 PM
taco2ewsday

Bikes: 2021 Canyon Endurace SL8, 2019 Cannondale Topstone Sora, 2002 Giant Yukon

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 57 Posts
I have the Canyon Endurace CF 8 Di2 kinda threads the needle fit wise between endurance and race but does not have aero tubing
I have a size XS and there is a bit of toe overlap that my Gravel bike does not have.
Old 05-30-22, 10:11 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Ti frames crack.
Right, like carbon fiber never does! LMAO. Cracks in Ti frames are rare, they had issues with earlier ti frames due to trying to make the metal to thin to reduce weight for selling points, that backfired as they did indeed cracked, modern ones rarely have issues unless they come directly from a China manufacture to your house.

https://wheretheroadforks.com/titani...2C%20or%20dent.

I can use my index finger and my thumb on any major tube on any CF bike and squeeze it hard enough to feel the tubing give, with just one index finger and one thumb on the same hand! that is why you have to use a torque wrench so you don't crush the CF which is very easy to do.

Carbon-fibre bicycles in the frame for rising number of injuries – The Irish Times

There are a lot more sites then the ones I listed, but I'm not going to bore you with more proof, but don't dare come against titanium bikes of which you know very little about.

Old 05-31-22, 04:46 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts

Thanks in advance!
Take a look at the German brand Rose. They, like Canyon, sell direct to customer. A friend bought an AL Rose and likes it a lot. They also seem to be pretty light and at a good price.

https://www.rosebikes.com/
Old 05-31-22, 04:51 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
Basso bikes are also pretty sweet and actually made in Italy. I was looking at them until I stumbled upon a GURU Photon at the Pro's Closet. Used not new. If it wasn't for that I'm sure I'd have a Basso by now.

https://bassobikes.com/en
Old 05-31-22, 06:26 AM
GhostRider62

Right, like carbon fiber never does! LMAO. Cracks in Ti frames are rare, they had issues with earlier ti frames due to trying to make the metal to thin to reduce weight for selling points, that backfired as they did indeed cracked, modern ones rarely have issues unless they come directly from a China manufacture to your house.

I can use my index finger and my thumb on any major tube on any CF bike and squeeze it hard enough to feel the tubing give, with just one index finger and one thumb on the same hand! that is why you have to use a torque wrench so you don't crush the CF which is very easy to do.

Titanium Strength - YouTube

Carbon-fibre bicycles in the frame for rising number of injuries – The Irish Times

There are a lot more sites then the ones I listed, but I'm not going to bore you with more proof, but don't dare come against titanium bikes of which you know very little about.
Ti welds can be a problem. Or more specifically, it takes many years of training and experience to weld Ti and not induce contamination or embrittlement that will lead to premature failure. It is a real risk unless you are buying a high end frame from a single person. From a factory? Roll the dice.

Interesting about CF. I have three CF, two magnesium, and two steel bikes in the garage. I cannot feel the top tube give on any of them. I have had one steel tube break, one Mg weld go bad, and one CF seat tube get crushed by the airlines. None of them are lifetime frames. The steel was unrepairable at a reasonable cost. I have not found anyone yet to weld my Mg tube, and the carbon was expertly repaired and still lives. I've known many people who have had Ti welds go bad. Is it common? Maybe, maybe not.
Old 05-31-22, 11:31 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 673 Posts

Titanium Strength - YouTube

Well, that settles that! The neutral unbiased proof you provided is more than enough and thank you for not boring us as this subject has never been covered before. I promise not to come against titanium bikes which I happen to know a lot about. Being a certified welder and Aerospace toolmaker I spent decades working with titanium, in fact, I kept a piece of Grade 5 tubing which I placed on an Altar in my garage. I usually touch it and genuflect before heading out on a ride. Having left titanium behind as a frame material decades ago it's always nice to look back and remember the good old days.

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 05-31-22 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-31-22, 12:10 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts

Fishing rods are supposed to bend.
Old 05-31-22, 09:27 PM
rekmeyata

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Ti welds can be a problem. Or more specifically, it takes many years of training and experience to weld Ti and not induce contamination or embrittlement that will lead to premature failure. It is a real risk unless you are buying a high end frame from a single person. From a factory? Roll the dice.

Interesting about CF. I have three CF, two magnesium, and two steel bikes in the garage. I cannot feel the top tube give on any of them. I have had one steel tube break, one Mg weld go bad, and one CF seat tube get crushed by the airlines. None of them are lifetime frames. The steel was unrepairable at a reasonable cost. I have not found anyone yet to weld my Mg tube, and the carbon was expertly repaired and still lives. I've known many people who have had Ti welds go bad. Is it common? Maybe, maybe not.
Bad welds are highly uncommon, and more so as the years have gone by. Carbon Fiber is tricky to make as well, there is a guy on YouTube that cuts frames, forks, and wheels to see how well the CF is done, in most cases not that good! If you want, I can post the videos, but there are a lot of them and each one is around an hour long, but if you want to learn about CF problems it's worth watching them.
Old 06-02-22, 09:12 AM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 88 Posts
If you are in-between race and endurance I would highly recommend a Canyon Endurace however most Canyons are pretty hard to come by, heck any bike now a days is pretty hard to find.

I also like the any of the Giant TCR, Felt FR and AR, Scott Addict RC and Foil FC. If you want to chance shipping and customs Ribble in the UK is probably the best bang for your buck bikes out there
Old 06-02-22, 01:26 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
You should also check out Sram elect shifting. What do the LBS in your area carry check them all out.
Old 06-02-22, 01:54 PM
chadtrent

Bikes: 2020 Canyon Endurace CF SL

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 47 Posts
I was in your same situation (but lower budget) when I went bike shopping. I ended up with the Canyon Endurace. I am very happy with that decision. It replaced a 2008 Specialized Tarmac. It's every bit as fast (at least as fast as the rider can ride it) and it comfortable enough for multi hour rides. Plus you get a lot more for your money with Canyon. To get a similarly equipped Specialized, Cannondale, or Trek (the three brands available locally) I was going to pay $1000-1400 more. I went with 105 because honestly I don't have a need for anything higher tier. Although when they come out with the Di2 105 I'm going to strongly consider that for my next bike. I did upgrade the wheels as the stock DT Swiss 1850 kept breaking spokes on me. But I'm on the heavier side so that is probably a lot of the reason.

Likes For chadtrent:
Old 06-03-22, 07:41 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
For that kind of money you could get a lifetime bike made of titanium. Lynskey has the R500 with disk brakes and Ultegra Di2 for only $500 over your budget. Personally I don't like electronic shifting because the batteries only last 3 to 5 years and cost at least $85 to replace, it's just another maintenance issue I don't want to be paying for; not to mention you have to plug the stuff in every so many miles, plus you save a lot of money on a new bike if you go with mechanical. Mechanical derailleurs are much simpler to work on, so much so you can do it at home or even on the road and not have to buy different tools, and electronic breakdown on the road you won't be able to fix it; biggest problem is water for electronic derailleurs, water causes a complete failure of the component where it cannot be fixed but has to be replaced, this problem is so annoying a lot riders switched back to mechanical. Like high tech cars, when something goes bad 10 years or so down the road you may not be able to find a part to fix it, that means an all new system which means large amounts of cash! This issue with finding parts is not a problem with mechanical systems. As you know, titanium will far out last carbon fiber, so if this is your retirement bike you want it to last a lifetime, which is why I bought a Lynskey, with 105 components to save money of course, and for the last 9 years it's worked flawlessly.

Get to know 7 downsides of electronic shifting; the annoying things they never tell you about | road.cc

Be wise with your money, like you said things are going to get tougher with inflation.
By the time you collect Social Security, carbon bikes will likely last your lifetime.
Likes For Mojo31:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.