Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

(padded liner + loose fit shorts) or (liner + padded loose fit shorts) ?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-16-23, 07:38 PM
grantelmwood
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts

I ride to public spaces like grocery stores and parks, so I do not want tight race bib.

I think I want to try padded shorts.
I want some sort of snug liner shorts
What are my options?

Padded shorts over liner shorts?
Regular shorts over padded liner shorts?

Compression shorts + loose shorts with padding ($15 + $35 = $50)
https://www.amazon.com/DRSKIN-Compre...dp/B088LYHZC5/
https://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Bicy...dp/B0BV6FWRPJ?

OR

Padded compression shorts $20 total (Can wear any shorts over this)
https://www.amazon.com/Baleaf-Padded...dp/B00MTE6OTQ/

EDIT:So, which is correct?

A. Chamois inner compression short + random pair of unpadded outer shorts

B. Blank inner compression short + padded outer shorts

C. Chamois inner compression short + padded outer shorts

Is C redundant, if chamois serves as padding also?

Last edited by grantelmwood; 05-17-23 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-16-23, 08:03 PM
grantelmwood
Banned

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Do you ride far enough to need a pad? Wear nothing between you and the chamois, so liner (with chamois) first and regular shorts over. Look at mtb shorts.
I am looking to expand my distances this year.
What mileage range do pads come into play? Any downsides?

So, are you saying liner+regular shorts or Mtb shorts (with padding)
Old 05-16-23, 08:05 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 390 Posts
Urban ride under 10 miles or so, just wear what you wear. Don't overthink it.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 05-16-23, 08:39 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Probably none of those. If you are riding distance than a good pair of bib shorts (not cheap not some Jeff Bezos knockoff special but good quality comfortable ones) and then whatever you want over top. If you are riding short distances ride whatever you ride I usually just ride in my ExOfficio Give and Go Underwear which is nearly all I wear (I have a couple pairs of their Sol Cool undies as well but they have worn out quickly but ExOfficio Give and Go is the way to go. I have a pair that is now 10 years old or so and was retired recently because the elastic was wearing out finally but have many other pairs and will happily purchase more over and over and over again.

If you really need padded shorts then I would still go with bibs always but if needed be I would get a set of Club Ride shorts they at least used to make shorts for different ride times and for me I would want something thinner depending on the saddle.

If you are experiencing discomfort then I would see a fitter. They can help get your bike set up so you don't feel discomfort and if you aren't feeling any, it will enhance your riding experience anyway and make you feel even more comfortable. Ideally look for someone who does dynamic fitting like Retül and not a static fit as those just aren't that good.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-17-23, 07:42 AM
robobike316 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 61 Posts
Less than an hour and I don't bother with any special clothing. For any serious riding its a good cycling short and then any kind of shorts or pants over the top.I like something baggy to not interfere with leg motion. That is just to hide the shorts and not look silly in certain situations.
Likes For robobike316:
Old 05-17-23, 07:57 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
I tend to think for a ride to the store and back, then you must not be going far. So wear what ever you want on the outside. Even if that is a tuxedo.

I'd recommend you ditch the cotton underwear though. Use some sports underpants made from synthetic fiber. You don't need a pad or chamois either. But you are a individual, so you can pretty much do whatever you want. You don't need to get our consensus. However if you have some issues because of what you do, then we'll have our own opinions of how to solve whatever that actual problem is. But how you dress really isn't a issue until you have a problem caused by how you dress.

If as another thinks, that this question is about expanding your distances, then still you can wear whatever you want. I used to do long rides with just synthetic fiber sports underwear and a pair of loose outer shorts that didn't have thick irritating seams. And no chamois either even for 100 mile rides. However eventually as I started doing more of those longer rides I realized the benefits of the more typical cycling shorts or bibs and other cycling clothes.

Last edited by Iride01; 05-17-23 at 08:04 AM.
Old 05-17-23, 10:59 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 303 Posts
Casual rides = no special clothing. But if you want to ride hard and still dress casually, I usually wear regular bike shorts (not bibs) and wear regular street shorts over them.
Old 05-17-23, 11:21 AM
grantelmwood
Banned

Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531
Urban ride under 10 miles or so, just wear what you wear. Don't overthink it.
Even on a short 3 mile ride, sweatpants and boxers start to feel uncomfortable
Old 05-17-23, 11:22 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
I like these:

https://andiamounderwear.com

Otto
Old 05-17-23, 11:23 AM
grantelmwood
Banned

Originally Posted by Iride01
I tend to think for a ride to the store and back, then you must not be going far. So wear what ever you want on the outside. Even if that is a tuxedo.

I'd recommend you ditch the cotton underwear though. Use some sports underpants made from synthetic fiber. You don't need a pad or chamois either. But you are a individual, so you can pretty much do whatever you want. You don't need to get our consensus. However if you have some issues because of what you do, then we'll have our own opinions of how to solve whatever that actual problem is. But how you dress really isn't a issue until you have a problem caused by how you dress.

If as another thinks, that this question is about expanding your distances, then still you can wear whatever you want. I used to do long rides with just synthetic fiber sports underwear and a pair of loose outer shorts that didn't have thick irritating seams. And no chamois either even for 100 mile rides. However eventually as I started doing more of those longer rides I realized the benefits of the more typical cycling shorts or bibs and other cycling clothes.
Even on a short 3 mile ride, sweatpants and boxers start to feel uncomfortable.
So, yes, how I dress is already an issue.

It sounds like you're suggesting compression shorts with no chamois or padding under loose outer shorts with no chamois or padding
That certainly is the simplest $15 solution.
Old 05-17-23, 11:24 AM
grantelmwood
Banned

Here are the options:

A. Chamois inner compression short + random pair of unpadded outer shorts
B. Blank inner compression short + padded outer shorts
C. Chamois inner compression short + padded outer shorts
D. Blank inner compression short + random pair of unpadded outer shorts

Is C redundant, if chamois serves as padding also?

Last edited by grantelmwood; 05-17-23 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-17-23, 11:48 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by grantelmwood
It sounds like you're suggesting compression shorts with no chamois or padding under loose outer shorts with no chamois or padding
It's certainly a viable option available to you. Though for me I wouldn't go strictly for compression shorts. I'd just use some close fitting underwear that is made from synthetic fibers. Usually they market that as for sports activities.

IMO, compression isn't needed for cycling clothes used for cycling at a high effort level. You just want them to be form fitting so there are no wads of fabric bunching up. And especially so the sweat wicking abilities of the fabric are utilized fully.

I see no need to compress one's muscles with overly tight clothing as that seems like it would limit blood flow, which is all about how muscles get O2 in and CO2 out. So at best they only need to compress maybe enough to add some support. Even I'm guilty of calling my bibs and shorts compression. But they aren't really that tight. Just enough to pull the wrinkles out.
Old 05-17-23, 01:49 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,740 Times in 1,498 Posts
what works varies widely for each person

for me anything over say 8 miles and I want bike shorts.. I really don't care if I go into store with them on.....and it is not showing off

I did 5 mile commutes with compression shorts and loose outer shorts for years, but any more I just wear bike shorts as 1) I make the return ride 10 pluse miles and 2) nearly killed my self catching loose shorts on saddle.... couple of by

Old 05-17-23, 04:49 PM
grantelmwood
Banned

Originally Posted by Iride01
It's certainly a viable option available to you. Though for me I wouldn't go strictly for compression shorts. I'd just use some close fitting underwear that is made from synthetic fibers. Usually they market that as for sports activities.

IMO, compression isn't needed for cycling clothes used for cycling at a high effort level. You just want them to be form fitting so there are no wads of fabric bunching up. And especially so the sweat wicking abilities of the fabric are utilized fully.

I see no need to compress one's muscles with overly tight clothing as that seems like it would limit blood flow, which is all about how muscles get O2 in and CO2 out. So at best they only need to compress maybe enough to add some support. Even I'm guilty of calling my bibs and shorts compression. But they aren't really that tight. Just enough to pull the wrinkles out.
Ahh, this is a distinction I was not aware of.
I used the term "compression shorts" as a generic catch-all term for "tight underwear"
You're telling me that general tight fitting athletic briefs are not classified as compression shorts?
Old 05-17-23, 05:13 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
I have four comments: do not wear any kind of liner underneath padded biking shorts, tight or baggy.

If you are self conscious about riding in any kind of bike shorts, you will get over that, with time, once you find one that offers the comfort and support you are looking for.

Bike shorts/tights, like saddles, can be a very personal thing. Recommendations are just that. Experience tops them, every time.

IME, compression type shorts can lessen muscle soreness on long rides.
Old 05-17-23, 05:27 PM
grantelmwood
Banned

Originally Posted by delbiker1
I have four comments: do not wear any kind of liner underneath padded biking shorts, tight or baggy.
You're saying to go commando under padded shorts ? Isn't that unhygienic like wearing jeans with no underwear?
Or are you implying that padded shorts have some sort of built-in liner ?
Old 05-17-23, 06:15 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
yes
I wash my bike shorts
No
Old 05-17-23, 07:18 PM
grantelmwood
Banned

Yes, I’ve now read conflicting opinions on underwear and 2 layers causing bunching.

Remember that cycling shorts are made to be worn without underwear. The pad inside the shorts fights bacteria so the shorts are actually more sanitary when worn alone. Equally important, when you wear underwear with your cycling shorts, you end up sitting on the seams in the underwear, which can cause numbness, chafing and pain

https://www.wheelworld.com/articles/...orts-pg263.htm

I’m now leaning towards single layer of outer shorts with shamwow.

No compression shorts, no padding (assuming padding is different than shamwow)

Verdict: I ordered Pearl Izumi w/ liner chamois deeply discounted in blue for $55

https://www.westernbikeworks.com/pro...iner-clearance

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/p...-mens#the-wall
Old 05-17-23, 07:49 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 303 Posts
If it has a liner, you don't wear underwear with them.
Old 05-18-23, 08:36 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Ahh, this is a distinction I was not aware of.
I used the term "compression shorts" as a generic catch-all term for "tight underwear"
You're telling me that general tight fitting athletic briefs are not classified as compression shorts?
Are you A.I.?
Old 05-18-23, 09:03 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
It's not that difficult.
More layers = more possibility of bunching and chafing.

Spend the money on a quality pair of bib shorts.
You will figure out over time whether you need a minimal chamois pad or something thicker.

If you want to wear a loose or MTB style shorts have at it.
Only issues I see are increased heat where you will sweat more, and possibly ripping your shorts if they get caught in the saddle nose.
Old 05-18-23, 09:06 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Even on a short 3 mile ride, sweatpants and boxers start to feel uncomfortable.
So, yes, how I dress is already an issue.

What boxers are you wearing? Cotton is not ideal for sweating and boxers for those with male genitalia aren't ideal as they are loose fitting whereas a boxer-brief will give you some of the comfort of the boxer with the holding area of the brief. If you get away from cotton undies at least for exercise you will be in much better shape. Again ExOfficio Give and Go is the way to go and is pretty much the only undies I will wear these days. However something good and moisture wicking will help at least but the ExO is by far the best underwear I have worn.

In terms of undies and bike shorts, keep them separate if you are wearing bike shorts you don't need undies at all and it will just create more issues the bike shorts take over the position of undies.
Old 05-23-23, 04:39 PM
grantelmwood
Banned

Verdict: I ordered Pearl Izumi w/ liner chamois deeply discounted in blue for $55

https://www.westernbikeworks.com/pro...iner-clearance

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/p...-mens#the-wall
Just went for my first ride with these shorts.
When I first put them on, it felt like I dumped a load into my shorts because the liner was hovering over my netherAss, not really contouring my body.
Once I sat down, the maxiCham was forced to contour around my body.
After my ride, when I got off the bike, the maxi pad was now cradling my netherAss, and felt like it fit correctly.

Went for ride, felt good, I never had to stand up out of the seat to rub my dog ass along the carpet to adjust everything.
I can see this adding up over longer rides.

Thanks to everyone who helped me !