Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Clincher Tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-23, 09:32 PM
Billydog

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Clincher Tires

folding means there is a kevlar bead and also is a clincher. A clincher can also have a wire bead and would not be folding.
Which is better a clincher that folds or a clincher with a wire bead that doesn't fold?
Old 05-23-23, 09:34 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,985 Times in 2,661 Posts
A folding tire will be lighter weight and can fold easily should you need to carry a spare and most wire bead tires are a little cheaper other than that no real big difference. I wouldn't worry about it or let it keep you up at night.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-23-23, 09:43 PM
Billydog

Originally Posted by veganbikes
A folding tire will be lighter weight and can fold easily should you need to carry a spare and most wire bead tires are a little cheaper other than that no real big difference. I wouldn't worry about it or let it keep you up at night.
Thanks for the quick reply.
Likes For Billydog:
Old 05-23-23, 09:48 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,985 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by Billydog
Thanks for the quick reply.
No worries, you wrote it at the right moment and I logged in at the right time!
Old 05-23-23, 09:56 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
Folding tires tend to weigh a bit less, too.
Folding tires can also *maybe* be a bit tougher to install because the Kevlar bead stretch is assumed upon inflation. So they *may* be manufactured a touch on the smaller end of the tolerance. All will be well upon first inflation.

Wire bead tires can be coiled in triplicate to fit in a pannier. It's hard & takes up a lot of room.

Other than that, there isn't any functional difference.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 05-24-23, 07:46 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
You'll find a better selection of tires that are folding. Wire bead tires might be a better choice for old bikes with 27" wheels and a smooth bead seat. However I don't think they have any advantage for a rim that has a crochet or hook type bead seat. Most wire bead tires I've seen tend to be budget low cost tires. But maybe I'm just not noticing the better tires with wire bead.
Old 05-24-23, 07:51 AM
Billydog

Originally Posted by Iride01
You'll find a better selection of tires that are folding. Wire bead tires might be a better choice for old bikes with 27" wheels and a smooth bead seat. However I don't think they have any advantage for a rim that has a crochet or hook type bead seat. Most wire bead tires I've seen tend to be budget low cost tires. But maybe I'm just not noticing the better tires with wire bead.
It is an older style vintage 80's bike.... Would a folding tire mount an 80's road bike?
Old 05-24-23, 08:07 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
It is an older style vintage 80's bike.... Would a folding tire mount an 80's road bike?
Unless you have some oddball size rim that they only make tires with wire beads for.

Folding tires have been around longer than your old bike from the 80's.

If your old bike is a 700C wheel, which many road bikes in the 80's were, then you likely have a rim with a crochet bead seat. If you have a old Schwinn bike in their "looks-like-a-light-weight" bikes series of inexpensive bikes, then it might have 27" wheels and they might be smooth bead rims. My '78 Schwinn Varsity was one of those type Schwinn's and it had a steel rim with a smooth bead seat. I usually bought 27" x 1¼" Kenda's for it. They had a wire bead. Were they the best tire? Probably not, but they were inexpensive.
Old 05-25-23, 12:46 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Generally, steel rims have a rolled bead and aluminum rims have a hook bead; Regardless of the "High pressure" moniker, rolled beads were suitable up to about 65 psi. Over that you want a hook bead to prevent the tire from blowing off. The material in the bead really didn't matter much.

Edit: Some newer rims are a third kind: hookless. The inside mounting surface area is smooth, nothing holds the tire on except the tire's bead. These are designed for *lower pressure* tubeless tires.

Last edited by BlazingPedals; 05-25-23 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-25-23, 03:43 PM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 356 Posts
folding means there is a kevlar bead and also is a clincher. A clincher can also have a wire bead and would not be folding.
Which is better a clincher that folds or a clincher with a wire bead that doesn't fold?
While not 100%, folding tires are generally of better performance in the tire company's line. Lighter, more compliant casing, etc.
Old 05-26-23, 08:54 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3504 Post(s)
Liked 2,924 Times in 1,774 Posts
Given the choice, I'd always go with folding. Just for the lighter weight.