Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

aluminum vs. steel rims on 27" bikes, gyro forces etc..

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-13-23, 04:35 AM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts

Swapped some alloy rims someone gave me onto the LeToaster this past week as was interested in if it would make the bike feel any different. This bike with steel rims was very stable when riding hands-off, especially at higher speeds where the heavy steel rims could create more gyro force so I was wondering if the bike would be less stable. I weighed the bare rims on a gram scale and was surprised at how little difference there was in weight. Sure the alloy rims are lighter, but not such a savings in weight that they are going to turn the bike into a feather. It saved less than a half-pound going from steel to alloy rims. the front hub on the new front wheel is small-flange, so that may have saved a small amount of weight too, but it is not noticeable in lifting this bike up after the parts swap. The rear coaster brake is very heavy, so the alloy rim helps make up for that.

Surprisingly, the average steel rim is not any stronger than an alloy rim. I have had problems with steel rims when hitting harsh roads and other obstacles where the rim will become dented our out of shape, the alloy rims seem to have more spring in them so may be harder to repair if damaged, but a bit less likely to be damaged under the same road conditions.

I did not notice the bike was any more difficult to ride hands-off. A lot of stability is designed into the later 70s Schwinn frames and forks. I have ridden some 27" road bikes that are much harder to keep straight with the hands off the bars, so the loss of gyro force with the lighter rims did not affect this chassis.

I swapped the rims out of boredom and curiosity, but for most I would not recommend it unless your old steel rims were damaged or you ended up with the alloy rims for free like I did, and you have fun taking wheels apart and lacing them back up as I do.

Likes For beng1:
Old 05-13-23, 08:54 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Quoted: 3487 Post(s)
Liked 2,905 Times in 1,765 Posts
There are rims made of steel? Why?
Old 05-13-23, 09:33 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,808 Times in 1,534 Posts
allow rims are much better for braking in wet conditions

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 05-13-23, 10:19 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
There are rims made of steel? Why?
Cost, especially in the 70s and earlier.

Originally Posted by beng1
Surprisingly, the average steel rim is not any stronger than an alloy rim.
That shouldn't come as a surprise. Steel rims need to be made with different profiles and much thinner walls than aluminum to keep the weight down, which makes for worse compressive bracing against stuff like dents. (And sometimes less lateral stiffness, resulting in a wheel with less taco resistance.)
Old 05-13-23, 10:49 AM
beng1
Banned

I am pretty sure they used to sell steel rims made of high-tensile or chrome-moly steel for road bikes. I sure would like to find a set of those.....
Old 05-13-23, 11:26 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 3,535 Times in 1,778 Posts
I am pretty sure they used to sell steel rims made of high-tensile or chrome-moly steel for road bikes. I sure would like to find a set of those.....
I'm pretty sure you're mistaken. Steel rims have been the low end option for many years. The "state of the art" in cycling tech switched over from wood to aluminum in the 1930s. Once aluminum became cheap after the war, aluminum rims quickly became standard on all but the low end bikes.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 05-13-23, 11:28 AM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
I'd have no concerns about steel rims if my bike had disc brakes. My reco is to use steel rims only when the roads are dry and there's no rain.
Old 05-13-23, 11:31 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by HTupolev
Cost, especially in the 70s and earlier.
I know. I just think it’s funny that in the third decade of the 21st century grown adults are still talking about steel rims.
Likes For smd4:
Old 05-13-23, 12:28 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
there are rims made of steel? Why?

ha!

Old 05-13-23, 01:08 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 895 Times in 440 Posts
Steel rims can look nice.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...l#post22858079
Old 05-13-23, 03:24 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
Why? So you can have some heavier rims that hardly brake in wet weather?
Likes For Rogerogeroge:
Old 05-13-23, 03:33 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked 963 Times in 637 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
allow rims are much better for braking in wet conditions
also more durable and can't be attacked by rust
Old 05-13-23, 03:41 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I grew up with steel rims, notably because everything in my locale was either Schwinn or worse. While Schwinn maintained some respectable quality standards, they were also actively running the business into the ground, and coasted on brand recognition and geographic coverage while neglecting to invest in new technology. Until a little known Taiwanese company called Giant, that was making bikes for Schwinn, realized they could sell a modern bike directly to all of the Schwinn dealers and cut Schwinn out of the game.

Not only did the steel rims rust quickly (winter was road salt season in my locale), but they had virtually zero wet-weather braking, and like the OP says, were easily dented, but at least we could bang them back into shape, which we did. I love restoring old bikes, and my daily driver is a 1985 Schwinn Traveler frame, but steel wheels go straight into the trash unless there's a hope for salvaging the hubs.

In my experience, riding no-hands is a matter of frame alignment.
Old 05-13-23, 04:16 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,052 Posts
I did not notice the bike was any more difficult to ride hands-off. A lot of stability is designed into the later 70s Schwinn frames and forks. I have ridden some 27" road bikes that are much harder to keep straight with the hands off the bars, so the loss of gyro force with the lighter rims did not affect this chassis.
Bicycle stability is determined by a combination of trail, head angle, wheel size, weight, weight distribution, tire construction & pressure and gyroscopic action. Not surprised that your small weight differential, factored into this equation and then controlled by active correction (you, riding the bike), did not make a noticeable difference.

A place to start:
https://www.renehersecycles.com/bicy...orks-together/

Last edited by tcs; 05-13-23 at 04:20 PM.
Old 05-14-23, 03:51 AM
beng1
Banned

Steel rims brake well in the wet, you just need good quality pads to use with them. There are steel specific pads. I found pads at a local Schwinn shop to put on my Huffy racing bike that work as well in the wet as in dry weather, the bike stops great. In the 70s I remember my Columbia road bike braked poorly in the wet with its steel rims, but it had OEM pads that were probably the cheapest that the manufacturer could get away with putting on the bike. My bike has a coaster brake anyway so it brakes great no matter what the weather or rim material is.
Old 05-14-23, 05:58 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
If you can find some of the steel rims with the dimpled brake tracks you'll get a huge aero benefit. Some say 4-5mph depending on who you talk to. I'd get rid of the coaster brake, though. I've heard the braking is not consistent. Very up and down. They can be loopy also.
Old 05-14-23, 07:27 AM
smd4

Huffy racing bike...
Please tell me you didn’t just use those three words together in a sentence.
Likes For smd4:
Old 05-14-23, 07:33 AM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
Ah, yes. Memories of riding down the steep hill on 15th Street NE in Seattle in the rain (constant from November to March). One had to apply the brakes periodically to keep them dry enough to slow or stop the bike.
Old 05-14-23, 07:51 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5887 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 2,079 Posts
Agree with the others. There's not much good to be said about steel rim wheels. That said, steel rims wheels aren't terrible. They're functional as long as you're mindful of their limitations.

I rebuilt a 1973 Sekine SHR recently with a double butted chrome moly main triangle and steel rim wheels which were OEM on the bike. The bike parts (other than the rims) were pretty good for 1973 (suntour derailleurs, dia compe centerpull brakes, SR swaged alloy crank) and the bike rides nicely. I may swap out the wheels one day for aluminum. I paid $20 for the bike and sunk around $18 worth of parts (plus labor obviously) to get it in good riding shape.

Last edited by bikemig; 05-15-23 at 07:47 PM.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 05-14-23, 08:21 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26381 Post(s)
Liked 10,357 Times in 7,194 Posts
...stainless by Dunlop. I have no idea what sort of composition other than "stainless". Hard to find now, most got discarded over the years. They were very shiny.
Old 05-14-23, 08:44 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26381 Post(s)
Liked 10,357 Times in 7,194 Posts
...I sense a disturbance in the gyro force.
Old 05-14-23, 10:07 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3861 Post(s)
Liked 6,450 Times in 3,190 Posts
"Tell 'im, Ray."

"Steel rims suck."

Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 05-14-23, 12:17 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
The steel wheels I had as a kid were absolute crap. We still have my wife's late 50's Schwinn with steel wheels and a coaster brake. It has sentimental value for her, but it is not a good bike. It is not as good as a modern BSO, but it started her riding many years ago.
Old 05-14-23, 12:18 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,808 Times in 1,534 Posts
Steel rims brake well in the wet, you just need good quality pads to use with them. There are steel specific pads. I found pads at a local Schwinn shop to put on my Huffy racing bike that work as well in the wet as in dry weather, the bike stops great. In the 70s I remember my Columbia road bike braked poorly in the wet with its steel rims, but it had OEM pads that were probably the cheapest that the manufacturer could get away with putting on the bike. My bike has a coaster brake anyway so it brakes great no matter what the weather or rim material is.
IME even with upgrade pads they do not brake as well as aluminum

bottom line steel rims were always lower end than aluminum, it make not sense to change to them or look for them unless you are doing a period correct restoration

Old 05-15-23, 07:31 PM
beng1
Banned

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...stainless by Dunlop. I have no idea what sort of composition other than "stainless". Hard to find now, most got discarded over the years. They were very shiny.
Stainless has chromium in it and it is going to be stronger, harder and more springy than mild steel used in most rims.

According to my riding log I put way over 2000 miles on steel-rimmed bicycles last year, most on the Huffy, but about three hundred on an old Fuji ten-speed I have and many hundreds on this "LeToaster" before I swapped the alloy rims onto it last week.

I have never had any accidents from lack of braking power, but brain-power has as much to do with bicycle riding as brake-power does, and if you do not have it then no matter how good your bike brakes you are doomed. Since I have put many thousands of miles on steel rims and coaster brakes over the last few years with no brake-related problems, it backs up just how brilliant I am.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.