Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Your best deal on a used bike

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Your best deal on a used bike

Old 05-28-23, 02:22 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 292 Posts
Maybe not a great deal in and of itself, but I picked up this K2 for $260 a little over a year ago. I added the aero bars like I do to all my bike but as it sits, tool kit, aero bars, pedals, bar tape and all, I'm into it for just over $300. Carbon fork and seat stays and 105 brakes and shifters. All in all, what I have into it may only be about what it's worth, but this has turned out to be my favorite road bike.
Old 05-28-23, 05:07 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts

This bike belonged to a friend of my dad. A Tom Kellogg signature Spectrum. Dura Ace 7400 throughout, Silca pump to match, lots of extra parts including an Ideale saddle, extra Spectrum fork, and all the letters between him and Kellogg about the build. Columbus Steel a few years before Spectrum really became a titanium brand.

Funny thing, he didn’t really ride. It collected dust in his basement for 30+ years and saw extremely light use for a few years prior.

I’d been trying to buy it from him for years, knowing he had it and it was in immaculate shape. He just couldn’t part with it, even though his health was failing and he knew he’d never ride it again. When the diagnosis was terminal, he told my dad that the bike was mine once he died.

I now have it. I gave it a fresh tune and have ridden a couple hundred easy miles in the years I’ve had it. I’ll never sell it.