Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Forget dogs: When bikes and bears collide

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Forget dogs: When bikes and bears collide

Old 05-21-23, 08:28 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
this black bear was about 20 yards in front of me coming out of my deer stand after dark. it took a few "Go away bear" to get him moving along and he went the other way at the tee in the trail. I was carrying a loaded 30-06 but still looked over my shoulder the 1/2 mile or so back to camp.

It's currently morel season here and I've been picking.

Old 05-21-23, 08:33 PM
Eds0123

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Warbird, (Specially Love my) 2021 Salsa Cutthroat, 2012 Surly LHT, 2015 Surly Cross-Check, 2008 Giant OCR A1, 2005 Leader 735R, 2005 Gary Fisher Montare, 1991 Nishiki Pueblo,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
I have had more black bear encounters than I care to count but never met one that I would not have shared a beer with...

these are the ones that make you nervous. I would not have a beer with one of these guys.

good fat chunky serpent, Looks good to eat
Old 05-22-23, 04:50 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
I have seen quite a few bears when I was on bike tours, but never came close to colliding with one. I have ridden by some that were right next to the road, so they were within 12 or 15 feet, but there wasn't any danger of colision.

One of my companions on the TA had an Elk suddenly appeal in the middle of the road in Yellowstone that required sudden braking to miss. There was also a near miss with some deer in Virginia. I have had lots of close calls with deer when mountain biking and when I used to race off road motorcycles I recall a guy hitting a bear while preriding the course for the Blackwater 100. If memory serves the guy had a separated shoulder and the bear scampered off.

Venomous snakes are fairly common on my daily ride here on the Florida Panhandle.
Old 05-22-23, 05:56 AM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Scott CR1 SL, Huffy RedRock (first bike), Aostimotor S17 ebike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 127 Posts
they are a mushroom often found in Montana especially after a forest fire has passed through. they are delicious and lots of people come to Montana to hunt them and they sell them at farmers markets and to restaurants. Me loves some morel mushrooms but freaking china ones apparently are not so good.....
you'd think it would be more cost effective to use locally sourced mushroom, but no...
Old 05-22-23, 06:58 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I've seen bear but not had a problem. Lots of close calls with deer, I am vigilant around sunrise/sunset and one disadvantage of StVZO is not being able to see them as well in fields. An 340 class elk jumped right across the road as I was descending at 45 mph, I can still feel my heart in my throat 35 years later. I don't bother with a G20 or 220gr hardcast on a bike, hopefully, a bear hears me and I smell so bad, they run away
Old 05-22-23, 07:50 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
this black bear was about 20 yards in front of me coming out of my deer stand after dark. it took a few "Go away bear" to get him moving along and he went the other way at the tee in the trail. I was carrying a loaded 30-06 but still looked over my shoulder the 1/2 mile or so back to camp.
It's currently morel season here and I've been picking.
"Go away bear" and a black bear that understands English is a fortunate occurrence. The 30-06 would seem to be a a good round for insurance purposes. For those that don't shoot, the 30-06 was the round that WW II soldiers shot from their M1-Garand rifles. It's said to be the most powerful round that a normal person can shoot without a lot of specialized training. Perfect for that black bear that doesn't understand English.

For brown bears (that is, grizzlies), the 30-06 is considered a bare* minimum size for a round. And grizzlies don't speak English. So you could use a .416 Remington round. The Grizzly will end up dead, but will have the last laugh as you undergo reconstructive shoulder surgery due to the recoil.

I'm jealous about the morels. Enjoy them!

* It is a pun: not sorry.

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 05-22-23 at 07:53 AM.
Old 05-23-23, 09:59 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 254 Posts
they are a mushroom often found in Montana especially after a forest fire has passed through. they are delicious and lots of people come to Montana to hunt them and they sell them at farmers markets and to restaurants. Me loves some morel mushrooms but freaking china ones apparently are not so good.....

Just an FYI. Don't eat them raw. They are poisonous raw.
Old 05-23-23, 01:37 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Only time I encountered a Black Bear was on the Mammoth Scenic Byway exiting Mammoth Lake, CA. He was sitting on a bluff maybe 10 yards off Hwy 203 waiting for my brother and I to pass on our road bikes at 0700. Never seen such a burly animal like that in nature. I would estimate this boar was in the 300+ lbs range. He showed no interest in us. Now, if we had bells like mountain bikers, that could be a different story.
Old 05-23-23, 06:58 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark
Just an FYI. Don't eat them raw. They are poisonous raw.
Poisonous is a stretch.

​​​​​​https://huntmushrooms.com/can-you-ea...mushrooms-raw/
Likes For dedhed:
Old 05-26-23, 06:35 AM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote
My only experience seeing a bear in the wild was while fishing. I thought it was a big fluffy dog. There was a point during the trip where I was beside a big growth of honeysuckle vine pretty nearby where we had seen the bear. Something started shaking the vine, I reached over to pull the vine aside and 'scream at' whatever it was....no idea what I would really have done otherwise, and here is a deer staring at me. Scared me good enough to get about halfway across the creek before I got wet. My dad about peed on himself.
My kids grew up out in the country. We've had everything in western PA in our yard. Wife with the first baby was sitting out on a blanket under the trees when a bear walked up past them from the side yard. Asked what she did. She grabbed our daughter and bolted for the house.

Fast forward 6 or 7 years and bear is no big deal. 5 year old, the youngest, is out on the back porch playing in her sandbox when I get home from work. "Dad, you just missed the bear!" Really, where? She points towards the pool which is 22 foot round and only 5 feet from the porch, "right there, he walked around the pool, then looked at me." Nothing doing, no concern at all. Mom on the other side of the door cooking. By that time, bear walking through the yard was common.

Grandma lived in their old hunting cabin in the edge of the Allegheny National Forest. Bear were in their yard every day. They didn't have running water and she washed clothes with a wringer washer outside where she could fill it from the creek. She reached back to grab another handful of clothes from the clothes basket and instead grabbed a handful of fur that was walking behind her.

She also had a picture of a black bear on it's hind legs and leaning down on top of the 7 foot brick fireplace that was in the yard.

Last edited by mrodgers; 05-26-23 at 06:39 AM.