Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

How important is frame size?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

How important is frame size?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-22, 11:01 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
forgive my ignorance
how do you bail
what is dabbing?
Dabbing means briefly putting a foot down to catch yourself then keep going (or I guess stopping altogether).

How do I bail (get off the bike during a mishap or wreck)? Every instance is different.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 12-03-22, 06:27 AM
n2t

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
are you really gonna wait that long to ride it?
No, already went on several rides, but I'm coming from never having owned a real bike or had real fit, so anything feels much better than stuff from walmart. My closest to a real bike was from Bikes Direct and I went by their sizing chart so it was a guess. The bike felt comfortable I put on about sixty miles before snow and weather hit.
Likes For n2t:
Old 12-03-22, 06:28 AM
n2t

Originally Posted by georges1
A too tall or a too small frame can have bad consequences on your back or kness and on your position in the cockpit, also don't cut the steering pivot too much other wise it would impact your back badly. I always had 17.5 -18 inch sloping MTB frames. I always made sure before having my bikes assembled that the riding position would suit me.
I don't even know what cutting the steering pivot means. I know the handlebar length can be change by cutting them shorter, but haven't done that. You can cut the pivot?
Old 12-03-22, 08:28 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by n2t
I don't even know what cutting the steering pivot means. I know the handlebar length can be change by cutting them shorter, but haven't done that. You can cut the pivot?
Maybe they mean cutting the steer tube?
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 12-03-22, 10:31 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 638 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Maybe they mean cutting the steer tube?
that is correct
Likes For georges1:
Old 12-03-22, 07:50 PM
n2t

So no cutting of anything as of yet. I put in some seat time when I got the bike and I've made plans to hit some starter trails this upcoming spring. I know the GT isn't seen as high end, but I'll probably never hit the limit of what it can do. Only thing I may do is add a dropper post.
Old 12-03-22, 09:06 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by n2t
Only thing I may do is add a dropper post.
That would be a no-brainer in my book.
Old 12-20-22, 06:04 AM
bhiter010

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
so, how do you imagine it?
Old 01-11-23, 07:12 PM
TheMountBike
Banned.

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Frame size

Frame size is an important factor in choosing a bicycle. It affects the bike's handling and how comfortable you will be riding it. A too-small frame can make the bike difficult to control, while a too-large frame can make it uncomfortable to ride.
Bike manufacturers typically use one of two systems to label their frames: S, M, L or XS, S, M, L, XL. The first system (S, M, L) is based on the rider’s height. The second system (XS, S, M, L) is based on the rider’s torso length.

When it comes to picking out the perfect frame for your artwork, there are a few things to consider. The first is the size of the frame. Does size really matter?
Well, yes and no. It depends on what you're looking for in a frame. If you want something that will make a statement, then a larger frame is probably the way to go.
But if you're looking for something more subtle, then a smaller frame might be the better option. The other thing to consider is the color of the frame. Again, this is a matter of personal preference.

You may want to match the color of the frame to the colors in your artwork, or you may want to contrast them. Either way can work, it just depends on what look you're going for. And finally, don't forget about matting!
Matting can really help set off your artwork and make it pop. It can also help protect your artwork from UV rays and fingerprints. So if you're unsure about what kind of frame to get, err on the side of getting one with matting included.
In short, there's no right or wrong answer when it comes to choosing a frame size or color. It's all about what looks best to you and fits your style best!
Old 01-11-23, 07:49 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by TheMountBike
Frame size is an important factor in choosing a bicycle. It affects the bike's handling and how comfortable you will be riding it. A too-small frame can make the bike difficult to control, while a too-large frame can make it uncomfortable to ride.
Bike manufacturers typically use one of two systems to label their frames: S, M, L or XS, S, M, L, XL. The first system (S, M, L) is based on the rider’s height. The second system (XS, S, M, L) is based on the rider’s torso length.

When it comes to picking out the perfect frame for your artwork, there are a few things to consider. The first is the size of the frame. Does size really matter?
Well, yes and no. It depends on what you're looking for in a frame. If you want something that will make a statement, then a larger frame is probably the way to go.
But if you're looking for something more subtle, then a smaller frame might be the better option. The other thing to consider is the color of the frame. Again, this is a matter of personal preference.

You may want to match the color of the frame to the colors in your artwork, or you may want to contrast them. Either way can work, it just depends on what look you're going for. And finally, don't forget about matting!
Matting can really help set off your artwork and make it pop. It can also help protect your artwork from UV rays and fingerprints. So if you're unsure about what kind of frame to get, err on the side of getting one with matting included.
In short, there's no right or wrong answer when it comes to choosing a frame size or color. It's all about what looks best to you and fits your style best!
Chat GPT still needs some work.
Old 01-18-23, 04:44 PM
Ynotnow

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 7 Posts
I'm lucky in the fact that I fall between sizes.

It's a win/win for me since it allows me to justify owning a higher end loaner bike, in a smaller size, and still be able to get use out of it myself 😂.
Old 05-14-23, 01:50 AM
Djangomatic82

Bikes: 1989 Miyata 1000LT 58cm, 1993 Miayata 916 56cm, 1998 Kona Explosif 20"

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Can anyone provide resources for learning how to understand modern MTB sizing? Last time i was on a mountain bike was in my teens, but i would like to get back into it, but this whole aspect seems either ill defined, arcane or just assumed that people know it off the bat.