Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Is this a bike fit issue?

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Is this a bike fit issue?

Old 01-21-23, 02:25 PM
Amitoj

Bikes: Bianchi Campione, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Is this a bike fit issue or physiological?

I have noticed that over a period of time, my bib shorts start to wear out at the point of contact between my right sit bone and the saddle. This probably indicates imbalance between the two legs. I don't have power meters to verify that.
So, I am looking to seek the wisdom of the general populace to figure out what's the best way to diagnose this and then how to resolve this. Growing up, I always had issues with my knees where they would buckle under sudden pressure from change of direction or sudden stoppages. So, I may be favoring my left knee unconsciously?
Incidentally, this happens only on Rapha shorts. I have a Specialized pair that outdates the Rapha ones but it shows no such signs.
Thanks!
Old 01-21-23, 05:57 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
A lot more people than one would think have mild scoliosis. I have trouble with saddle sores on only one side. I've had my legs measured by a doc and they're the same length. So that's my guess. A good doctor can tell by examining your back muscles for asymmetry, no X-ray necessary.
Old 01-21-23, 06:49 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 331 Posts
Jeez, how did we ever fit ourselves before power meters? Maybe your saddle is crooked, bent, or too high, maybe your hip alignment is crooked, maybe one leg is shorter than the other, maybe your cleat alignment is off, or maybe your pedaling dynamics are just asymmetrical. Sorry I can't fix your problem, but hopefully I've given you a few things you and a riding buddy or professional fitter can look at.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 01-21-23, 09:06 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,456 Times in 949 Posts
Have you examined the shorts to rule them out? The difference between the two seems like the biggest clue.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 01-21-23, 10:20 PM
Amitoj

Bikes: Bianchi Campione, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
A lot more people than one would think have mild scoliosis. I have trouble with saddle sores on only one side. I've had my legs measured by a doc and they're the same length. So that's my guess. A good doctor can tell by examining your back muscles for asymmetry, no X-ray necessary.
Thanks! Now that you mention it, I did see a chiropractor once who said something about my lower curvature. This was years ago though. I'll try to get my records from them and see what exactly it was.

Originally Posted by oldbobcat
Jeez, how did we ever fit ourselves before power meters? Maybe your saddle is crooked, bent, or too high, maybe your hip alignment is crooked, maybe one leg is shorter than the other, maybe your cleat alignment is off, or maybe your pedaling dynamics are just asymmetrical. Sorry I can't fix your problem, but hopefully I've given you a few things you and a riding buddy or professional fitter can look at.
This is exactly what I was hoping for, that is, the things that I can cross off and the things I can look further into.

Originally Posted by Kontact
Have you examined the shorts to rule them out? The difference between the two seems like the biggest clue.
It happened on 2 Rapha shorts. Maybe their material is softer and hence wears out more than the one on Specialized shorts.
Old 01-23-23, 10:23 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Unless you have 12 pairs of Rapha and 12 pairs of Specialized shorts, each showing the differences you claim, then I wouldn't put much into your hypothesis other than it needs more investigation.
Old 01-28-23, 05:02 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
A lot more people than one would think have mild scoliosis.
As do I. And I'm trying to solve a right sit bone area pain problem. It may be sciatica, but maybe has something to do with my scoliosis.
Old 01-28-23, 06:28 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
As do I. And I'm trying to solve a right sit bone area pain problem. It may be sciatica, but maybe has something to do with my scoliosis.
See the bit about walking in this post: https://www.bikeforums.net/22781075-post103.html
When I had sciatica, my lower back hurt like the devil for the first mile, then it was fine. I walked every day for a couple weeks, went away, did not return. My saddle sore OTOH is still around, but it's just a flesh wound..
Old 05-11-23, 05:44 PM
BFC

Bikes: Cervelo R5ca, Giant TCR Advanced, Neil Pride, Cervelo P5x

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Another possible issue is saddle is too narrow and you are pushing harder with your dominant (right) leg and moving slightly off the saddle wearing out the shorts on that side?