Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

What kind of Falcon is this?

Old 01-08-21, 04:36 PM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Bikes: A few modern, Several vintage, All ridden when weather allows.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 111 Posts
What kind of Falcon is this?

Hi folks,

I was given a strange, weathered, old Falcon road bike, serial #: X30822. It was translucent red with foil labels, but is now badly faded. The frame and lug work is very nice wrap around seat stays, but no tubing decal. The drop outs are either stamped or machined with a derailleur hanger on the rear DS drop out. It has Campagnolo Valentino shifters & derailleurs, Weinmann 999 center pulls, Pivo stem with what looks like GB bars and a unique, unbranded 5 arm cottered crank. The wheels appear to be replacements. The rear is a cheapo with a 3 piece steel hub laced to a chrome steel rim. The front is a Mallard SF hub with a chrome Rigida rim. Both are 27 X 11/4.

Don’t know much about these bikes except that the co-op where I volunteer have one of the Eddie Mercks labeled ones. The frames look the same to me, but theirs has a mix of older Campagnolo drive train parts with the same brakes.

Does an

yone know what level this bike is? I’m not so much interested in the value, but would like to find a home for it. Falcon fans or collectors out there???

Thanks and regards,

Van
Old 01-08-21, 05:08 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts
I think it is a Falcon Black Diamond, their entry level model, or close to it, in those days.
Old 01-08-21, 05:28 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3783 Post(s)
Liked 3,288 Times in 2,148 Posts
-----

Hello Van and thank you for sharing this cycle.

1971 was the final year for this generation of the bicycle's Atom model 440 pedal so the bicycle is unlikely to be later

the Campagnolo Valentino gear ensemble launched about 1968 so that brackets a date in the other direction

the original wheelset was likely comprised of Normandy Sport large flange alloy quick release hubs paired with Weinmann alloy wired rims of size 27 X 1 1/4

level appears to be one up from the base

it is possible the frame may have a three-tube Reynolds 531 plain gauge tube set
there appears to be the residue of a frame tubing transfer at the top of the seat tube facing forward; it may have indicated such a tubeset

do not think it could be higher

it is an honest and worthwhile product - well worth doing a mechanical service on it

the Falcon marque evolved from an earlier entity called the Coventry Eagle

-----

Last edited by juvela; 01-08-21 at 05:45 PM. Reason: addition
Old 01-08-21, 09:24 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 251 Posts
Falcon bikes were a cut above their Raleigh cousins. Most all of them were built with high quality Reynolds 531 tubesets, That's a nice one. The only ding I've got against it is the cottered crankset with stamped chainwheels. Otherwise, that's one hell of a nice frame. Prices for Falcons are all over the place. But, that one is probably worth at least a couple of hundred dollars. Be good. Have fun.
Old 01-09-21, 02:10 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts
When I first commented on model, I suggested Black Diamond. I did not notice the rear drop which might be early Campagnolo. If so, then the bike is above the black diamond model.

Is the bike a worthy bike to restore? Yes, in my opinion. That is the sort of bike that I choose to restore (and ride) these days.

As for cottered crank sets - not the best for our modern world but more than serviceable and dependable. They are a wee bit difficult to remove and you need to know what to do to install properly but they are pretty and work just fine...
Old 01-10-21, 12:34 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3783 Post(s)
Liked 3,288 Times in 2,148 Posts
-----

Hello once again Van,

checked with the Falcon catalogues available online and your cycle falls in a time gap between the available years

there is an undated one which looks to be mid-1960's and the next later one is 1973

your machine falls somewhere between these two

at this era the manufacturer offered four drop bar tenspeed models

top-of-the-line was model 76 which was an all Reynolds frame paired with an all Camapgnolo Nuovo Record road ensemble

next down was the model 94 which was the same frame paired with a less costly kitting

next down is the subject cycle which is termed a model 92 and has the three-tube Reynolds 531 frame

the base model of the range is the Black Diamond

-----
Old 01-12-21, 09:51 PM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Bikes: A few modern, Several vintage, All ridden when weather allows.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 111 Posts
juvela
randyjawa
Hl folks,

Thanks for all the great info on the Falcon. Further research indicates that it is a Model 92. The remnants of the Reynolds decal match the one used on bikes of that vintage have 531 straight gauge main triangle tubes. The seat post measures 26.4 which fits with that tubing. The things that are still strange to me are the crankset, Pivo stem and the handle bars. I pulled back the tape on the bars and found that they were poorly finished.

This is a big frame; ST = 24.5”/62.5cm, TT = 23.5”/60cm. Surprisingly, I was able to ride it with reasonable comfort with the short stem and only 1” of the seat post showing. I normally ride a 56cm square frame. I really like the style and workmanship on this bike, but need to find one in my size.

By-the-way, is anyone familiar with Terry top tube cable housing clips. These are neat, spring type clips that hold tight w/o screws. Pix attached.

Thanks again,

Van

Old 01-12-22, 03:30 AM
satkin55
Falcon fan

Bikes: Falcon Black Diamond

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Yes I had those clips on the top tube of my Black Diamond. They seems like a good idea once on, but can easily scratch the paint. When I get my frame back from the reprayers I am changing to the type with screws on.
You might be able to see the originals in this 'before' photo.

More details on my website https://falconrestorebike.wordpress.com/
Old 01-12-22, 04:17 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 957 Times in 624 Posts
Typically as you moved up the product line you would see chrome seat and chain stays, like some of the others posted above. Nutted axle rear wheel, if original, is also a sign of a lower end model.
Old 01-12-22, 05:00 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 549 Times in 241 Posts
Good luck determining the model of Falcon you have. I posted the same question for my Falcon that I purchased last summer. Mine is a San Remo but nobody could say for sure which numeric version of San Remo. I paid $30 for mine. There were plenty of scrapes and missing paint but no dents or rust. I would guess mine is probably worth $200 or so in refurbished condition.

Old 02-01-22, 08:55 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 251 Posts
Don't sell yourself short with a Falcon bike. I remember this brand very well. It was a "store front" brand. Something a bike store would put in the front window. They sold for a premium because they were a better finished and produced brand. Made in England. Top dollar. Good stuff. Equal or better than the best bikes made in England, USA, Italy, or France at the time.
Likes For ramzilla:
Old 02-03-22, 12:44 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Surprised to see the combination of a solid rear axle with an on-frame derailleur hanger.

This bike needs lots and lots of love. For the penny pinchers in the post covid era, the good news is the brake hoods look excellent.