Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

Need fat bike recommendations

Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Need fat bike recommendations

Old 05-10-21, 07:32 PM
  #1  
Doggus
half man - half sheep
Thread Starter
 
Doggus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Big Mineral arm - Lake Texoma (Pottsboro, Tx)
Posts: 2,468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need fat bike recommendations

Me: retired hard core roadie. Always wanted to try mountain biking, but living where you have to haul your bike to the local trail, never could pull the trigger. 2020, wife decides she's had it with living in the burbs and we buy a 22-acre place in the middle of nowhere. Now I'm back to doing what I did as a kid - ranching, chasing tools, etc. I need a utility type bike to roll around the ranch on. We live near a National Wildlife refuge that has some basic trails too. I'm currently rolling around on a Townie. Yes a Townie. Remember, I used to live in the burbs. I've already beat the hell out of that thing here. I need a fat bike that can handle rolling through a pasture with cattle and horse hoof holes. Most normal people would own a 4-wheeler for what I do, for some stupid reason I still want a bike. I see Burley sells fat tire cargo wheel. I can see myself dragging this around loaded with tools.

Any recommendations? The Framed Montana Carbon 27.5 FS Fat Bike came up in my search but then someone bagged on it for being over-priced with mediocre components. I know nothing about MTB components. I'm a roadie. Help me out here.
Doggus is offline  
Old 05-10-21, 07:49 PM
  #2  
soonerrebel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: North Aurora Il
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Doggus View Post
Me: retired hard core roadie. Always wanted to try mountain biking, but living where you have to haul your bike to the local trail, never could pull the trigger. 2020, wife decides she's had it with living in the burbs and we buy a 22-acre place in the middle of nowhere. Now I'm back to doing what I did as a kid - ranching, chasing tools, etc. I need a utility type bike to roll around the ranch on. We live near a National Wildlife refuge that has some basic trails too. I'm currently rolling around on a Townie. Yes a Townie. Remember, I used to live in the burbs. I've already beat the hell out of that thing here. I need a fat bike that can handle rolling through a pasture with cattle and horse hoof holes. Most normal people would own a 4-wheeler for what I do, for some stupid reason I still want a bike. I see Burley sells fat tire cargo wheel. I can see myself dragging this around loaded with tools.

Any recommendations? The Framed Montana Carbon 27.5 FS Fat Bike came up in my search but then someone bagged on it for being over-priced with mediocre components. I know nothing about MTB components. I'm a roadie. Help me out here.
I'm also a roadie but just had to have a FAT Bike. Purchased a Salsa Beargrease with Sram components that are comparable to Shimano 105. MTB components have their own hierarchy just like road groups. Was around 3 large and well worth it to me.
soonerrebel is offline  
Old 05-10-21, 07:58 PM
  #3  
Doggus
half man - half sheep
Thread Starter
 
Doggus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Big Mineral arm - Lake Texoma (Pottsboro, Tx)
Posts: 2,468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by soonerrebel View Post
I'm also a roadie but just had to have a FAT Bike. Purchased a Salsa Beargrease with Sram components that are comparable to Shimano 105. MTB components have their own hierarchy just like road groups. Was around 3 large and well worth it to me.
I was just about to edit my original post and add that I had read about the Beargrease (with a Bluto). It's on my shortlist.

The real problem is where do you find a bike in 2021?

Last edited by Doggus; 05-10-21 at 08:07 PM.
Doggus is offline  
Old 05-11-21, 09:37 AM
  #4  
prj71
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: North Central Wisconsin
Posts: 3,773
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2261 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by Doggus View Post
I was just about to edit my original post and add that I had read about the Beargrease (with a Bluto). It's on my shortlist.

The real problem is where do you find a bike in 2021?
Between e-bay, pinkbike, Jenson and a few other online sites...Bikes ARE NOT that hard to find.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/lis...se&category=71
prj71 is offline  
Old 05-11-21, 10:36 AM
  #5  
Doggus
half man - half sheep
Thread Starter
 
Doggus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Big Mineral arm - Lake Texoma (Pottsboro, Tx)
Posts: 2,468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
Between e-bay, pinkbike, Jenson and a few other online sites...Bikes ARE NOT that hard to find.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/lis...se&category=71

Never heard of pinkbike. I've scoured craigslist (searchtempest) and FB marketplace. I keep seeing "fat bike has reached max popularity and now people are dumping them". Not what I'm seeing. Even the retailers are SOLD OUT on most everything: salsa, canyon etc...
Doggus is offline  
Old 05-11-21, 11:41 PM
  #6  
jim_pridx
Senior Member
 
jim_pridx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: WI
Posts: 261

Bikes: 2010 Bob Brown Cycles tandem, 2019 Co-Mo Carrera tandem, 1980 Richardson tandem, 2014 Cervelo R3, 2018 Specialized Roubaix, 1985 Bianchi Campione, 1983 Trek 720, 2020 Trek Fuel EX8, 2021 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 70 Posts
I'm also a long-time roadie that just got into fat biking at the beginning of this year. Since my wife and I were originally going to spend much of our retirement time in the southwest over the winters, I never really considered the idea of purchasing a fat bike. Long story short, since the pandemic basically put a kibosh on our retirement plans, I became increasingly more interested in beating our Wisconsin winters by riding in the snow on many of our local off-road trails. When I first started looking for a bike, I was mostly concerned about purchasing an intermediate model that had decent components but, most importantly, it needed to be a good fit regardless of the brand. I finally ended up with a 2021 Salsa Mukluk Deore, and I've been very happy with it! As it turns out, I enjoyed this past winter far more than I have in many years. Even my wife decided to purchase a Salsa Beargrease after seeing how much fun I was having, and she's now hooked, too!

At any rate, while there aren't that many new bikes available at the moment, I do agree with prj71 that used fat bikes "aren't that hard to find" if you're patient while looking around enough. Wishing you the best in finding one!
jim_pridx is offline  
Old 05-12-21, 06:57 AM
  #7  
prj71
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: North Central Wisconsin
Posts: 3,773
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2261 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by Doggus View Post
Never heard of pinkbike. I've scoured craigslist (searchtempest) and FB marketplace. I keep seeing "fat bike has reached max popularity and now people are dumping them". Not what I'm seeing. Even the retailers are SOLD OUT on most everything: salsa, canyon etc...
Craigslist is on the outs. I wouldn't even bother.
prj71 is offline  
Old 05-17-21, 09:52 AM
  #8  
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker
 
Kapusta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 5,600

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Turner 5-Spot, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2504 Post(s)
Liked 2,137 Times in 1,195 Posts
Check out the Surly Big Fat Dummy if you want a fat bike that can also haul stuff.
Kapusta is offline  
Old 05-25-21, 05:41 AM
  #9  
revcp 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA
Posts: 1,283

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 56 Posts
Fat bikes are out there used... in some places

I have the good fortune of living in the Twin Cities, a cycling hot bed and fat bike Mecca. There are ALWAYS fatties listed on CL (I agree with the above poster that it's in the way out,and my experience is that the cycling posters on CL are less reliable than those on DEDICATED FB cycling groups).

I would be happy to keep an eye on the market up here for you. Shipping is easy and relatively inexpensive, about $100, and if you buy well you can always resell for more than you paid (I'm on my sixth fat bike, and with selling low and buying high, my wife and I, who's on her second) are riding for free.

And it would be well to decide whether you want to pull a trailer (Y Freedom out of the UK is the best I've found for general hauling) or, as mentioned above, get something like a Big Dummy (Surly).
__________________
Don't complain about the weather and cower in fear. It's all good weather. Just different.
revcp is offline  
Old 05-28-21, 07:46 AM
  #10  
Doggus
half man - half sheep
Thread Starter
 
Doggus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Big Mineral arm - Lake Texoma (Pottsboro, Tx)
Posts: 2,468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by revcp View Post
I have the good fortune of living in the Twin Cities, a cycling hot bed and fat bike Mecca. There are ALWAYS fatties listed on CL (I agree with the above poster that it's in the way out,and my experience is that the cycling posters on CL are less reliable than those on DEDICATED FB cycling groups).

I would be happy to keep an eye on the market up here for you. Shipping is easy and relatively inexpensive, about $100, and if you buy well you can always resell for more than you paid (I'm on my sixth fat bike, and with selling low and buying high, my wife and I, who's on her second) are riding for free.

And it would be well to decide whether you want to pull a trailer (Y Freedom out of the UK is the best I've found for general hauling) or, as mentioned above, get something like a Big Dummy (Surly).
Thanks. Maybe I'll start trolling the CL up there and see if I can get one shipped. It's unbelievable how nothing is available from the bike makers these days. I just missed a deal on a 2018 Canyon Dude shipped from MI. Didn't move fast enough
Doggus is offline  
Old 05-28-21, 10:06 AM
  #11  
DangerousDanR
Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Fargo ND
Posts: 392

Bikes: Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 111 Posts
ICAN https://icancycling.com/collections/us-warehouse shows their frames in stock in the US. The frame will run you around $600 + shipping. Then you spend as much as you want on the components. They also sell nice carbon fat bike wheels. I bought the wheels built on DT Swiss hubs and so far they have been good. If you buy the wheels, they will have to come from China.

Last edited by DangerousDanR; 05-29-21 at 03:07 PM.
DangerousDanR is offline  
Old 05-28-21, 10:23 AM
  #12  
browngw 
Senior Member
 
browngw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Port Dover Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,469

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1971 Robin Hood Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 161 Posts
In 2017 I purchased a Felt DD70 for around $1250 CAD and have really liked it

for off-season riding in Canada. With a solid rack and triple cranks it is a real mule. I run about 8psi in the Schwalbe Jumbo Jims in winter. Tires are a significant part of the price of fat bikes. Choose good ones.
__________________
We are what we reflect. We are the changes that we bring to this world. Ride often. -Geo.-
browngw is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.